Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login
    1. Home
    2. ctmy
    3. Posts
    C
    Offline
    • Profile
    • Following 0
    • Followers 0
    • Topics 0
    • Posts 96
    • Groups 0

    Posts

    Recent Best Controversial
    • RE: Palm View Primary

      lovekids22:
      Hi Cyranocrash,


      Thanks!! I will continue to observe and will definately feedback if need be. By the way, how do you find the student care services so far? Any reviews?
      It all depends on what u are looking for. My view is slightly different from Cyranocrash. I don't find the student care (SC) that good and there is room for improvement.

      The major difference between private SC and Pro Teach SC(school based) is private SC are more coaching-based while Pro Teach runs their own curriculum and will not repeat what is being taught in school. Initially I think this is a good idea but after some time, I find that my kid's results deteriorates. Being full time working parents, I would prefer some coaching/guidance to be given to him.

      Another problem with the school SC is it does not have a dedicated Chinese teacher. There were few occasions I realised that some words were wrongly written. When I checked with my child, he told me that the teacher taught him to write that way. I don't expect 100% error free but find that teacher should at least be proficient at current P1/P2 level. Feedback from another parent was that when her child approached the teacher, she will ask him to google for the answer. They find that this is not the correct way to teach a child.

      I also do not like the idea of napping time in the curriculum.
      The students will settle down at the SC around 230 n pack up at 545. Given the limited time, they will not have time for napping most of the school days. So why don't just scrap it? During the school holidays, the napping time will be back in action, this time 2 hrs per day. If your child does not have the habit of taking afternoon nap, too bad, they still need to 'rest'.
      I have tried talking to the teacher whether they can let him outside for him to read/draw or do something else but to no avail.

      The PE program is one of the program I like. This is one of the favorite program for most of the children as well. One good thing is the SC can make use of the school facilities.

      The above are just my personal experiences with the SC. So it all voices down to what u are looking for. Go n find out more about the school SC n others around the area as there is still time. BTW, I had withdrawn my child from the school SC though it's much more convenient n less costly.

      Happy hunting ! šŸ˜„

      posted in Primary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      C
      ctmy
    • RE: Palm View Primary

      gracedeang:
      Good morning... going to PVPS now to register my son. I am a bit worired as we are PR bet. 1km to 2km... might go for balloting or no chance at all. Not sure if it is a good decision to choose PVPS instead of Yio Chu Kang Pri which is nearer to our place (less than 1km).

      The best is to call up the school to get the latest numbers and then decide from there.

      posted in Primary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      C
      ctmy
    • RE: Palm View Primary

      Just notice that Sengkang Green Pri, a new school same as Palm View, is already oversubscribed. Surprise!

      posted in Primary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      C
      ctmy
    • RE: Palm View Primary

      cyranocrash:
      ctmy:

      [quote=\"L0v3mm\"]Hi all, I will be going to the school for P1 registration Tmr. I would like to check is the student care good? I heard that they will give priority to those low income family, So I wondering if I have to secure a plc at other alternative like Raffles student care. Need your advice, thank you in advance!


      Depending on how u define good and what u are looking for. Personally feel that there is still room for improvement for the student care and school bus service. Its always better to find alternative. Anyway, there are a lot of student care centres in Hougang/Sengkang area.

      Do shortlist a few and do your research. Drop by the centres.. pay them a visit to see how things are done, etc. Different people look out for different things.. so you need to get your first hand experience.
      The good news is.. there's still time for you to do your research. :)[/quote]
      Very good advice also. Different parents focus on different aspects. I would say, similar to schools and child care centres, the teachers play an important role.

      posted in Primary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      C
      ctmy
    • RE: Palm View Primary

      L0v3mm:
      Hi all, I will be going to the school for P1 registration Tmr. I would like to check is the student care good? I heard that they will give priority to those low income family, So I wondering if I have to secure a plc at other alternative like Raffles student care. Need your advice, thank you in advance!

      Depending on how u define good and what u are looking for. Personally feel that there is still room for improvement for the student care and school bus service. Its always better to find alternative. Anyway, there are a lot of student care centres in Hougang/Sengkang area.

      posted in Primary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      C
      ctmy
    • RE: Palm View Primary

      cyranocrash:
      cheerbear:

      wiselyn and cyranocrash


      i believed that your children are now in P2? can i know how the sch assess the performance of children since there is no exam in P1? do they still have the class position by performance by the end of sem 1 and sem 2? dunno how the grading is done now compare to my time šŸ˜›

      Ok.. I may not be in a good position to comment.. coz I don really pay attention to my kids' results.. but if I recall correctly, there is no class position. There are no exams but there are bite-sized tests and performance tasks that will go into the 'computation' of their results in the report book. While there are marks for these, more importantly is that there is also a competency matrix (not sure if this is the actual term used) where they will list down for every subject learning areas or skills goes into these subjects and they will indicate your kid's competency in these areas (whether they need some guidance, they are able to perform the tasks independently, etc etc.. something like that lah).

      Once again.. other parents.. pls correct me here. Results are really not my main focus.

      Cyranocrash, U are spot on. šŸ˜‚ The competency matrix will list down the areas where the child is strong or weak so that parents can take note. They also include subjects like PE, Arts, Music etc. There is no class position. Neither are there any statistics like the mean, median, percentile etc which I think will be good if included on a cohort basis.

      posted in Primary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      C
      ctmy
    • RE: Palm View Primary

      patriciakong:
      thanks for the replies! šŸ˜„


      true; they get to know more people. is it like a formal test or something to 'stream' them?
      so how does it work? suppose a child is in class A; so if he is very good at chinese and not so good at maths; does it mean that he will be in class A for English, PE etc then will go to Chinese (Top class) and Maths (not so good class)? So all the classes have the same timetable so as all could move together? sorry.. can't imagine how this works.. wouldn't it be chaotic...

      no, i didn't go to the open house cause it clashes with the open house at punggol pri. i went to punggol pri's open house instead.
      The \"streaming' for Chinese is done base on the 1st semster result I believe. There are 2 groups for Chinese, meaning 2 advanced, 2/3 core and 2/3 basic. So I believe the timetable for perhaps Class A to C will have the same time slot for Chinese while Class D to G will also have the same time slot for Chinese so that they can swop class. This is my understanding.

      posted in Primary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      C
      ctmy
    • RE: Palm View Primary

      kpchua:
      cyranocrash:

      ermm.. can't comment abt Chinese coz my kids are not taking Chinese.

      But for maths.. hmm.. I'm not aware that my kids have been going to different classes for maths. Hmm.. maybe I've not been talking enough to my kids.. HAHAHAHA

      IF not wrong, only P2 class D,E,F,G are \"streamed\" for Maths under a project from NIE.

      That's interesting. I don't know only 4 classes are involved. I understand from the teacher that Maths is being \"streamed\" into 4 classes rather.

      posted in Primary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      C
      ctmy
    • RE: Palm View Primary

      patriciakong:
      Hey. I am new in this forum.. couldn't finish reading all the posts..

      the sch just started this year right? Do they have other levels (p2 - p6) or just p1?

      I read somewhere that they split the children to 3 diff groups for chinese? is it only for chinese or for all subjects? is this like a mini streaming? every half yearly?

      I am staying within 1 km from the sch and will be registering my daughter in phase 2 c...

      isn't it very stressful for the children if they are \"streamed\" every half yearly? Does that mean they may get separated from their friends...

      just some thoughts..
      The highest level currently is P2. No P3 & above.

      Hope u had attended the open house. It should give you a good picture of the school, the activities and programs.

      Currently the subjects that are being \"streamed\" are Chinese n Maths. Being a new school with quite a number of foreign students, I believe it's beneficial to both the teachers and students. The teacher can then set the appropriate pace and the students can also learn at a more comfortable pace and environment.

      The \"streaming\" is not done half yearly. As far as I know, Chinese is done in P1 Semester 2 and Maths only started this year in Apr/May. As to the issue of separating from their friends, viewing it from another angle, isn't it better for the students to get to know more people from other classes? Anyway they will be separated in P3.

      Just my thoughts .....

      posted in Primary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      C
      ctmy
    • RE: Palm View Primary

      Jojo1979:
      Hi all,


      Any parents out there can advise on the school bus service in PVPS?
      Whats the time they fetch kids and the cost per trip and 2 way?
      I was quoted $130 for one way. 2 way $140. Pick up time 6.30am. I live within 1 km from Palm View.

      Hope this helps.

      posted in Primary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      C
      ctmy
    • 1 / 1
      About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy