Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login
    1. Home
    2. Dora1
    3. Posts
    D
    Offline
    • Profile
    • Following 0
    • Followers 0
    • Topics 1
    • Posts 440
    • Groups 0

    Posts

    Recent Best Controversial
    • RE: FTWM-NEED YOUR GUIDE

      missyqiqi:
      I'm a FTWM, i cook almost every day except for weekends when I'm meeting my parents. I agree sometimes i feel quite tired but when I see my girl finish up her food, i feel happy about it.


      I always have fish every day for her dinner. But my style of cooking is very light,coz my daughter is still young (2yrs old) So it may not taste so good for my hubby's family coz they are paranakan so quite \"zhong kou wei\", but I told my hubby have to finish up what I have cook. Coz nobody in the house eat will eat left overs so can't possible throw it away.
      Yup understand what you mean by being super tired. My DD is 7 this year, I've been doing this for 7 years!
      Actually there is no need to cook fish everyday for your DD. She should be exposed to a variety of food to have a balanced nutrition. Besides, there are studies that show that young children should not have fish more than 3 times a week, especially those deep sea fishes like cod and salmon and mackerel. This is because our seas are very polluted and these deep sea fishes accumulate mercury in them. So try to vary her diet. She is 2 already, should be able to eat other food. Can also give her tofu and eggs, easily digestible as well.

      posted in Tuckshop
      D
      Dora1
    • RE: FTWM-NEED YOUR GUIDE

      slmkhoo:
      jetsetter:

      Both my DH and DS hv been \"pampered\" by my Canto MIL's \"live fish\" cooking, so I'm forced to maintain the same level of freshness on weekends 😞


      We have to live with the family we have! I guess if you can't 'train' them to be more flexible in their likes and dislikes, then you have to make the best of it. I made it clear to my husband (and later my kids) that when I cook, they just eat. If they don't like something, I won't cook it again, but I won't necessarily go to a lot of hassle to cook something the way they like. That's what restaurants are for. That's how I've coped anyway.

      Hi*5 Slmkhoo That's what I tell hubby and girl also. I won't do deep fried stuff at home cos I hate cleaning the kitchen. Want to eat deep fried stuff go out and eat. Don't like what I cook, then go out and eat lor, better still. DD is still very picky but she will still eat the dinners I cook. Hubby is easier, his criteria is must have soup. Other stuff he is not particular. So I can still survive all these years being a FTWM and one woman show cos hubby travels or OT frequently. My motto \"Got food to eat very good liao le!\" 😉

      posted in Tuckshop
      D
      Dora1
    • RE: FTWM-NEED YOUR GUIDE

      Jetsetter


      The place that I get my shabu shabu and prime ribs from http://www.mmmm.com.sg/Scripts/default.asp. Can have the prime cuts of pork and beef as well. I go to their factory outlet because it's near my house, and it's also cheaper there. But they have retail outlets as well for your convenience. But I don't get my spare ribs (cook soup type) from them cos there is a \"porky\" taste.
      I normally just go there once every 3-4 months and stock up.

      Sorry never tried the delivery service for Song fishery and mmmm cos they are very near my house so I always go there with a big thermal bag 😉

      And yah, generall frozen fish cannot be used for steaming. Except for cod fish. But can use for others like grill or pan fry.

      posted in Tuckshop
      D
      Dora1
    • RE: FTWM-NEED YOUR GUIDE

      Frankly the prawns that are used in fried rice for a lot of reputable restaurants are actually frozen ones, especially those used in their fried rice. And the pork ribs that they use for their soups are also all frozen. So when you eat out, all frozen anyway.

      Like I said, it's the thawing process, never thaw in a basin of water.
      And also the look out for the quality of the frozen food. E.g. The individually frozen deshelled prawns tend to taste better than the ones that are frozen hard in a block. Dun buy frozen chicken that is all red. Also, obviously cannot use frozen shelled prawns or chicken for those steam dishes with very light taste.
      Of course ideally should eat everything fresh, I think nobody can dispute that. But for FTWM with no maid and no mother or MIL to cook for us, this is really the best that we can offer to our family. It's still a lot more nutritous than outside food where most of it are frozen anyway.
      My MIL used to comment that I shouldn't buy frozen food, but I told her I need to work who buy. She even commented that she will buy and I go and collect from her everyday and then bring home and cook (we don't stay near each other) :faint: I told her by then dinner will be served at 9pm everyday.
      The reason I struggle to cook after work everyday is so that we don't need to go back to her house for dinners everyday and can have our own privacy.
      I agree with Funz, dun have to bother too much abt what other people say as long as you are doing your best already. Older generation dun understand the struggles and demands of our generation, esp FTWM. They are welcome to stick to using their fresh meat since their own schedule permits, but we will provide what we can for the family within our constraints.

      posted in Tuckshop
      D
      Dora1
    • RE: FTWM-NEED YOUR GUIDE

      Isebella:
      Hi Dora1,


      Can you kindly share with us where you get all your frozen meat and which brand have you tried so far that is worth to give is a try.
      I would like to switch to buying frozen meat instead of buying from market due to time constraint on weekend and full day working on weekdays.

      :thankyou:
      I stay in Jurong, so I buy from the factories direct. Cod Fish , saba and deshelled prawns I buy from Song Fishery. They now have an outlet in Jurong Point 2 (same row as Old Town coffee).
      For meats I go to mmmm factory outlet at chin bee. I think they have retail shops in Novena sq and West Coast Plaza. I normally buy pork and beef shabu shabu and prime ribs.
      I buy the spare ribs from Pork Kee and NTUC cos I find the ones at mmmm got porky taste :razz:

      posted in Tuckshop
      D
      Dora1
    • RE: FTWM-NEED YOUR GUIDE

      I am a FTWM with no maid and no MIL help and I cook 4 out of 5 weekday dinners. No choice have to freeze the meats. I agree with Slmkhoo, I also find that some frozen meats are fresher than if I buy from market and freeze it myself. But have to be discerning on the brands. I always have a stash of frozen pork ribs, deshelled prawns and cod fish in my freezer as standby food.

      It also depends on your thawing technique. I put the frozen meat into the chiller the night before for next day’s dinner. Don’t thaw the meat by putting into a basin of water like what the old folks like to do, confirm no taste, and there’s a risk that bacteria will grow if you forget abt it and leave it at room temperature for a while.
      But having said that I find that if you want to steam whole fish or sotong, then don’t freeze it, it really does affect the taste and texture. But fish like cod is ok. They come frozen anyway, the fishmonger at the market just thaw and cut a piece to sell to you - not supposed to re-freeze the cod fish bought from market. You can’t find fresh cod in SG markets no matter what they tell you. So for cod, I buy individually frozen portions from wholesalers.
      Just plan your weekly menu. Cook food that can’t be frozen on Mondays or Tue. Later in the week cook food that can be frozen, or simple food eg eggs with silver fish and tofu. A sample of my weekly dinner menu for 2A +1C
      Marketing on Sunday.
      Mon: Steam fish (fresh, chilled from previous day), fry green veg with abalone mushroom, winter melon soup (frozen pork ribs)
      Tue: Soya sauce braised chicken (fresh, chilled at 1deg from Sun), green veg.
      Wed:Omelette with Silver fish, Bak kut teh soup (frozen ribs), fry green veg.
      Thur: Teriyaki Cod fish (frozen), miso soup, fry cabbage.
      Fri: Mummy’s rest day!

      posted in Tuckshop
      D
      Dora1
    • RE: 60% of students who enter schools via DSA live in HDB flats

      Well it depends on whether the statistics is collected from current Rafflesians or Ex-Rafflesians. If the data is collected from current Rafflesians (meaning the students with no earning power), then it would mean that the our social equality is on red alert.

      If the data is collected from Ex -rafflesians (meaning those who are working and bought the property by their own means), then I agree there is not much meaning.

      posted in Recess Time
      D
      Dora1
    • RE: Is PSLE really that hard or is the problem somewhere else?

      Actually I have no issue with slightly ambiguous questions, since there are so many ambiguous situations anyway. Imagine telling your boss next time that I can’t solve your problem because there are ambiguity in it. However my biggest problem is that why must there only be ONE correct answer? In pirate’s eg abt the Sheep eating grass, why can’t all 3 sentences be marked right? As long as the answer is logical, then full marks should be given. If not how to encourage creativity? Are there model answers in life?

      posted in Recess Time
      D
      Dora1
    • RE: Exam Coming. Who is more stressed?

      Augmum:
      limlim:


      She'll say, \"why you never supervise them in their schoolwork..... always spend time with your mistress(es) only..... etc...\"

      So it became all my responsibility for not supervising them and ensure they did their homework etc..

      So jialat har, limlim 😉
      Then.....my hub is one of the lucky ones....
      Since gal's first day in school....he never needs to involve in any of her sch work....
      No need him to supervise in homework...no need him to take leave to help in revising of exams...
      Yes.....he spends his time in his whatever his likes...
      Becos all i Bao Ga Liao... :roll:

      Juz days ago.... told him to pick up gal fr sch at much earlier time than usual sch hrs...
      He still asked \" Why huh?\" ....becos he dont even know that gal is having her EOY exams now..... :slapshead: :rant:

      Aiya typical lor. DD is in P1 so no exams. But on Mon, no sch, student care not opened. I have stg on at work so forced hubby to take leave. He say will bring her to cycle. I told him must make sure she finish her e-learning then go
      DH: \"Huh? What e-learning? Do from where?\" :slapshead:
      Me: \" Your girl knows, you just make sure she finish can already lah :rant: \"
      Haiz... I'm also FTWM leh... So I forsee next time exam, also I'll be stressed only lah.

      posted in Recess Time
      D
      Dora1
    • RE: GreenPan Cookware - Any Good?

      My green pan also lasted about 1 year only, before the coating came off. The sales person at Taka said it's because these pans can only use very small fire, big fire will cause the coating to come off. But mine was the 28cm wok/pan, so I use it for stir fries as well, so how to use only small fire? 🤷

      Anyway, for the past 1.5 years, I have been using the Happycall open wok. Super happy with it. It has the same non stick coating as the normal Happycall, which is even more non-stick then all the previous teflon, green pan whatever else that I've used.
      Now I've even retired my normal Happycall since it is such a pain to wash. Now the Happycall open wok is the only one that I'm using, to pan fry, stir fry and even steam (I went back to buy the steamer layer). The only problem is that it cannot be used on induction cookers, fyi.

      posted in Tuckshop
      D
      Dora1
    • 1 / 1
      About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy