• RE: GEP 2019

    diamantz\" post_id=\"1944283\" time=\"1572649044\" user_id=\"34705:

    Oh I meant p1 in 2020. Means my child has to contine with current school and transfer after 1 year? 😖
    Given that your younger child is transferring into P1, there could still be vacancies that arises from children that didn't start P1 for some reasons. Parents posted overseas, emigration etc. Slim chances but not impossible.

    All the GEP schools would have a open house the day before or after the GEP talk. You can go and ask the teachers what's your chances of the younger sibling getting a place. Not sure whether you have priority who has been on the waitlist previously, but my guess is you should. The above also applies for P2, P3 etc. After talking to the school then gauge which school has the best chances.

  • RE: GEP 2019

    walk\" post_id=\"1942471\" time=\"1571648217\" user_id=\"181821:

    Heard several times from others that GEP English needs tons of reading. May I ask those GEP kids parents, what were your kids reading during P1 to P3? Any book recommended? So many choices to choose from but so little time. Would like to seek some advice from experienced parents. My P1 kid is still reading comic books such as dog man. Considering introducing some non-fiction books to her but don't want to scare her. Many thanks!
    DC doesn't read much fiction despite being able to read at quite a young age. Most GEP ERP reading list books are untouched. But the language ability is definitely above average. We were doing some practices on vocabulary recently and DC remarked that\" Oh, Captain Turbot actually taught me a lot of vocabulary.\" I was like \"Huh?\" I know who is Captain Turbot, from the Paw Patrol Show. Did a search, then found out that Captain Turbot actually has a tendency to talk alliteratively. Bottom line, you would still be able to pick up language skills outside of books, though in the longer term, reading fiction is still very important for writing.

    For non-fiction lovers and those transitioning from pictures to lots of words, you can try:
    Murderous Maths
    Horrible History
    Horrible Geography
    Horrible Science

    Then from there after building an interest in sciences/maths/humanities, you can then try an online reading app called Newsela. This app curate very current articles on your chosen favourite topics (humanities, sciences, literature, social, current affairs etc), and adjust them to suit the readers' age in terms of word length, vocabulary and sentence complexity. Example, the same article can be 500 words long for a 10 year old or just 200 words for a 7 year old. I'm still trying to find a Chinese equivalent. There is one available in China, but not open to users outside China yet.

  • RE: GEP 2019

    entei17\" post_id=\"1941869\" time=\"1571356981\" user_id=\"162440:

    christelite\" post_id=\"1941865\" time=\"1571351155\" user_id=\"37470:

    [quote=Belovedchild post_id=1941857 time=1571324136 user_id=181769]:thankyou:

    I have this in mind too, should my son get into the programme.

    Btw, anyone has any idea which schools mix the HA n GEP kids together?

    Thanks!

    GEP schools have no vacancy for transfer at P4 level as there are no students who left for GEP, since most if not all stay in their own schools for GEP.
    [/quote]Sorry, this is incorrect. There should be vacancies too for outsiders, as the P3 students move across to the GEP classes, thereby creating vacancies in the mainstream classes for the GEP schools. You may try.

  • RE: GEP 2019

    christelite\" post_id=\"1941865\" time=\"1571351155\" user_id=\"37470:

    Belovedchild\" post_id=\"1941857\" time=\"1571324136\" user_id=\"181769:

    :thankyou: [quote=Iceeblue post_id=1941854 time=1571322830 user_id=111469]I know that for a few GEP ctr, the sch mixes students with high ability with GEP students in the same class. If the child get selected into GEP, is it possible to opt out of GEP but choose to transfer to one of these GEP ctr to join the high ability class?

    I have this in mind too, should my son get into the programme.

    Btw, anyone has any idea which schools mix the HA n GEP kids together?

    Thanks![/quote]You want to join a brand name school and mix with the GEP kids but don't want the GEP workload? There is no positive outcome out of that.

    You may however join another brand name school outside of the GEP schools through transfer by showing your GEP offer. They might give you priority for vacancies vacated by their students who went for GEP.

    GEP schools have no vacancy for transfer at P4 level as there are no students who left for GEP, since most if not all stay in their own schools for GEP.

    Not sure whether being in the HA-GEP mixed class is a good thing. They spent about 40% of their classes together except for EL, MA and SC. Do they have the \"陪太子读书\" feel?

    What you want can be done, but it will leave a black mark. You can join GEP and move to the new school, then put in a half hearted effort, and aim to get below 70% baseline for all your subjects. Then maybe GEB will consider to ask you to go back to mainstream in the GEP school at the end of P4, but not after endless counselling and PTMs. Don't think anyone has done that so far. GEB usually will leave you in the GEP. Think only 1 dropout ever. So essentially you are in GEP for the long haul with no escape route.

  • RE: GEP 2019

    Belovedchild\" post_id=\"1941847\" time=\"1571320312\" user_id=\"181769:

    May I know if our kid is selected, will we have the options to select which GEP schools we want to go? Or purely by MOE assignment
    3 choices, posting by priority according to same school, affiliation, SAP and home-school distance. All GEP schools have 2 GEP classes except for St Hilda’s and Henry Park who has only 1 class each. Class sizes 25 thereabouts.

  • RE: 2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2007)

    xn_mummy\" post_id=\"1941195\" time=\"1571089551\" user_id=\"137029:

    Dear parent

    Am looking for 2018 p6 paper
    - english/math/sci
    Preferably complete set esp for math
    Please pm me(west area)
    Thanks
    https://www.testpapersfree.com/

  • RE: All About ADHD : Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

    zac's mum\" post_id=\"1940110\" time=\"1570420572\" user_id=\"53606:[quote=\"zac's mum\" post_id=1940110 time=1570420572 user_id=53606]
    I have volunteered in a boys school before, and I also still have regular interactions with lower and upper primary boys, coaching them or just chatting with them. So I thought I could accurately observe and gauge what is “normal” boy behavior (and what is not). For example I have seen ADHD behaviour, and I have seen GDD behaviour. If I ever thought my son was either of these, it was never as extreme or clear cut as those examples I saw.

    The reason why I’m troubled now, is because I thought (maybe my own delusional thinking) that my son’s high energy and talkativeness were signs of giftedness. Other adults around us have also told me they observe he is astute, mature and intelligent (from chatting with him). But now that I look at the classic signs of giftedness, I realize that he did not fulfill a major sign, which is started reading earlier than his peers. The GEP test confirms to me that he is not gifted as I suspected. So now I am trying to accept that I was wrong, absolutely wrong in my intuition, just my stupid reasoning. I should not delude myself anymore and I should really find out what causes his inattention. Otherwise he will continue missing out on important points during lessons, continue getting on other people’s nerves with his incessant chatter.[/quote]
    It's always good to consult the professional. But you can do the following self assessment and ask the teachers to do the same to see whether they see the same things as you. Likely that different people who interact with the child see different things as the child has different affinity with them. Once again, consult the professional to confirm.

    The NICHQ Vanderbilt Assessment Scales are used by healthcare professionals to help diagnose ADHD in children between the ages of 6 and 12.

    https://www.nichq.org/resource/nichq-vanderbilt-assessment-scales

    https://www.nichq.org/sites/default/files/resource-file/NICHQ_Vanderbilt_Assessment_Scales.pdf. Page 10 gives you the interpretations for sub-categories of ADHD.