Hi Chamonix
May i know where to get the book of 心花朵朵开? Thanks in advance
Also, what electronic dictionary do you have? My kids only have the recommended e-dictionary.
Posts
-
RE: I'm at a loss with my p5 son's Chinese
-
RE: Workshops by Learning Mastery (feedback pls)
I plan to send my kids there too for the coming Dec Hol. I hope to get feedback too.
I have not really got any feedback from other parents but I guess the only good thing about it is that the camp will still be conducted by Ernest himself. Peter Lau is a young guy but I think he has been with him for a number of years- a proud product of Ernest’s superteen programme. His another long time trainer, Ken left him 2 years ago, I think.
Actually my own newphew joined his smartkid programmes 6 years ago. Frankly, no changes seen but to be fair, he strongly against to attending the camp but was coaxed to attend somehow. He refused to participate throughout the whole workshop. ;c
But I find they are more sincere and Ernest himself is more of an educationist instead of businessman. That’s why his camp is not perceived as good as Adam Khoo, who was his once proud student turned competitor.
For those who had attended his camp, your feedbacck would be much appreciated. -
RE: How do you control TV or computer time?
insider:
Child control - sob sob... This is so true...snowman.697:
EDIT: maybe not parental \"control\". Parental control suggests that the child is an \"animal\" that needs to be \"controlled\". I dont like the way most people refer it to as parental \"control\". It makes us sound inferior. maybe \"time management software\" will be more appropriate.
hahaha...snowman...I like this!
Emmm...maybe more cases of 'child control' than 'parental control'...kids control their parents as if those parents were like animals...
Thank cimman & snowman for your advice. Will definitely try out when my kids get out of hand again. Right now they are very tied up with school activities and hardly have time to play computer... Which is a good news to me
-
RE: Singaporean pupils and teachers trapped in Malaysian cave
I had fond memories for my p6 oversea trip organised by my school years ago. The first night chat with little friends, the first time away from home, the first time going out with friends and teachers and lots more… this is something I would definitely want and will encourage my kids to experience.
-
RE: Interesting Camp to Check out.
I am looking for holiday camp for my p3 n p5 kids. Any recommendation? How about Earnest Wong’s SmartKids camp or Adam Khoo’s camp or Mindchamp? I also heard a camp doing overnight stay at Underwater World. Any feedback?
TIA -
RE: Class Monitor
How old is your boy? If your boy is in lower primary, then I think there is no harm to approach the teacher for help.
My DD1 cried for 3 months during her K1 when she was new to the school because the form teacher was very fierce, even though she loved and wanted to go to school everyday. I approached the teacher about my concern and asked if she could be appointed as monitress (termly chosen) or model student (monthly chosen) but the teacher replied blunctly that they have criteria for choose model students or monitor. I was upset but no choice, just continued to send my crying DD everyday to school. Till one day I could not take it anymore and I went straight to the Principal. The principal talked to my DD1. The next day, miracally, my DD1 stopped crying and she was selected twice as model student the following month and a few months down the road. Her confidence has since improved and no more crying! I felt bad for not bringing the issue up to the principal early enough.
So if you think that will help your boy, go ahead! Explain to the teacher your concerns and as mentioned by others in this thread, there are many leadership roles in the class nowadays. I believe that a good teacher will be able to fit your boy in any leadership role.
However, if your boy is in upper primary, then you may have to discuss with him if he is ready to be a leader. it is true that there is criteria set for leadership quality in the upper primary. If he is forced to be a leader which he is not comfortable, his peers may gossip or question about his leadership. It will not do him good.
HTH! -
RE: How much $$$ do you spend on your Pre-schooler?
my update:
DS - P5
Tennis - $140 per month since Feb 2011 - initiated by him when a friend asked him to join
DD1 - P3
Piano - $140 per month since P1 - initiated by her since 5yo but only started in P1 as we wanted to be sure that she is serious about it.
DD2 - 26 months
$0
Next year - 3-hr kindy prog $250 per month paid by Baby Bonus
History
DS -
3 - 4yo : Full day childcare - $400 per month after subsidy
5 - 6yo : PCF kindergarten - $80 (k1) & $120 (k2) per month
7 - 8yo : Swimming - $60 per month
P3 : Tony Buzan powercamp - $500
DD1 -
N2 : PCF kindergarten - $80 per month
K1 - K2: Kindergarten - $200 per month
6 - 7yo : Swimming - $60 per month
P1 : Tony Buzan powercamp - $500
No enrichment during pre-school because DH does not believe in having headstart and we were and still are too lazy to drive them around for enrichment classes.
DS knew only 20% of the words from storybooks of his age at end K2. Worry? Of cause! I was stressed because of the advice from friends with regards to P1 preparation. DS scored mostly Band 2 for all his subjects in P1 but came back one day at year end telling me that he wanted to be the top 3 in the class in P2 because he wanted the trophy
He asked me for help and he got 2nd in class in P2. From then on, his results have been fine.
I was worried about DD1 as she was a very shy girl and easily stressed out by fierce teachers which would affect her learning. But it turned out that her results were much better than her brother in terms of grades.
Both refused to go for enrichment programmes since young. Tuition? A big NO especially for DS though I have been trying to get them to attend Chinese classes. They don't mind holiday programmes though and I am thinking of snding them to superkids by Adam Khoo or Smartkid by Earnest Wong. Any feedback of these 2 programmes?
If you asked me, I actually like to expose them to different things but
guess they have our genes - do not like long term commitment and routine :oops:
Do I regret for not sending them for enrichment or tuition? I am not sure but I hope I won't. Sometimes I do think they would propably do much better if they were stretched further by teachers with expertise, instead of being coached by me as a half-past-six teacher
-
RE: sch dismissal hrs
P2-P6
Mon - Thurs 7.15am - 1.45pm
Fri 12.45pm -
RE: volunteer work for children
Hi, i have given them a call. They do not have any specific volunteer work suitable for students as they liaise with other organizations that have certain limitations set by them. Basically, Tzu Chi organization is run based on mainly volunteers.
The admin staff did recommend their Recycling Centre whereby the students are taught on recycling and create eco awareness. Basically all things can be recycled except furniture. It will be 2 hrs. Just let them know 1 mth in advance, preferably weekend as most volunteers hold jobs during weekday and would be available on weekends only. Can look for Kim or email them at [email protected]
I did suggest abt donating clothes or books etc for needy families. For clothes, they have too many people giving them. Due to limited manpower, they will resell them. -
RE: How do you control TV or computer time?
deminc:
I did switch off but I was hoping they can be more 自动。Yes they decide what they want to watch but they seem to love all kinds of shows.HappyFaye:
i let them watch TV for an hour and play computer for half an hour per day as discussed and agreed and sometime more depending if they have finished their work or revision. But somehow, they just can't seem to stop by the agreed time and i am always quick in jumping and 'screaming' when the time is up :frustrated:
Just switch it off yourself. If you want to reinforce the point, you can unplug the set as well and just move on to the next activity.. Actions speak louder than words.
Do they get to select their programmes? That may help them decide how to use their tv time for maximum satisfaction.
As for the extra time, it is allowed only when they do a good job in work or revision after my checking.
Things are ok when I am at home but when my in-laws switch on the TV, their eyes can be glued to the TV even though those shows are oldies chinese movies :stupid:
Hmmm, it didn't occur to me that banning TV totally during weekdays is an option. To me, TV is a form of relaxation. When I am tired or stressed, I just sit down and stare at the TV to let my mind relax. But I know total banning is tough because my in-laws love to watch TV.
I am hoping to have an auto-shut down for TV and computer :oops: