Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login
    1. Home
    2. happymum8
    3. Posts
    H
    Offline
    • Profile
    • Following 0
    • Followers 0
    • Topics 9
    • Posts 123
    • Groups 0

    Posts

    Recent Best Controversial
    • RE: NUS High School of Mathematics and Science (Diploma)

      walterp:

      This is really an impressive number! Understand that those got in are not really the top top ones. But I believe there will be more admitted to Medicine in the coming years! :xedfingers: [/color]
      Happymum8, that's great news indeed ! I always feel that NUSH students would have that extra edge over their \"A\" level counterparts since they are slightly ahead or way ahead b'cos the y5/Y6 advance research where they plong straight into their area of specialisation be it physics, chemistry or medical sciences. 😄

      I happen to \"kaypo\" at this year open house talk where Dr Hang was saying that Queens University (where ? , Australia ) has no \"quota\" on NUSH student intake for Medicine studies b'cos our student are really that good.

      BTW, why is the graduating class strength of 220 last year ? Does it include year 3 intake? I was told it was also the first batch of students who did the full 6 years programme at NUSH.[/quote]

      Yes total from Year 1 intake plus Year 3 intake make up to 220+ last year.

      As for University of Queensland (if I am not wrong), I also heard the same news and DD is also strong asked to join for next year attachment programmes for Year 6 students for a period of a few months!

      The University is very impressed with NUS High acceralted programmes that they see a very bright future in the students and are willingly to take in the students as long as they meet their criteria. 😄

      posted in Secondary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      H
      happymum8
    • RE: NUS High School of Mathematics and Science (Diploma)

      UncleLim:
      happymum8:


      Yes they can. They can apply any courses, cause ALL of them do Maths.

      I understand that for such a small cohort of students, already 10 are admitted to Medicine at NUS for this recent year.

      Is this true, happymum8 ?? :scared: :scared:

      10 out of 100+ NUSH students were accepted by NUS for Medicine? Where can I verify this information?

      I have the impression that at most 1 or 2.

      Yes confirm is 10 succesfully got in Medicine out of 220+ for last year graduated batch!!

      They already went for their matriculation and finally 8 stay in the course with 1 went to Hong Kong Uni to read Medicine and 1 chose to read Dentistry.

      This is really an impressive number! Understand that those got in are not really the top top ones. But I believe there will be more admitted to Medicine in the coming years! :xedfingers:

      posted in Secondary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      H
      happymum8
    • RE: NUS High School of Mathematics and Science (Diploma)

      UncleLim:
      happymum8:


      Yes they can. They can apply any courses, cause ALL of them do Maths.

      I understand that for such a small cohort of students, already 10 are admitted to Medicine at NUS for this recent year.

      Is this true, happymum8 ?? :scared: :scared:

      10 out of 100+ NUSH students were accepted by NUS for Medicine? Where can I verify this information?

      I have the impression that at most 1 or 2.

      DS understans from her seniors that there are 10. But not out of 100+ but 200+ (you need add in those coming in at Year 3).

      I will check again to confirm the number.

      posted in Secondary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      H
      happymum8
    • RE: NUS High School of Mathematics and Science (Diploma)

      If you have kids who had attended this year Pre-U seminar, ask them which school shine during the Q&A session.


      I am very confident that one of them is from NUS High.

      An ACS(I) student commented to his friends that he actually changed his thinking of NUS High students projected as NOT SO articulate, he was saying that he gave highest respect to some students (I would not say ALL) of NUS High who participated during that session.

      posted in Secondary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      H
      happymum8
    • RE: NUS High School of Mathematics and Science (Diploma)

      phtthp:
      hi happymum8,


      can students from NUSH enter Dentistry ?
      Yes they can. They can apply any courses, cause ALL of them do Maths.

      I understand that for such a small cohort of students, already 10 are admitted to Medicine at NUS for this recent year.

      posted in Secondary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      H
      happymum8
    • RE: NUS High School of Mathematics and Science (Diploma)

      Aiyo, I think maybe you have met those who are not so articulate.


      My DD is already in year 5 in NUS High, I’ve met so many students who are able to speak well and confidently.

      They are also doing what other JCs are doing for English and many have also won awards in English writing, Oral competition etc…

      With good command of English but with no subtance (they are really very indepth in their Maths and Science syllabus), the students will soon be be out of the interviews too…

      Many batches of graduates are in various uni and they are really doing very well. Professors are amazed of their knowledge and are most willing to take in more of such high calibre students in future.

      posted in Secondary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      H
      happymum8
    • RE: NUS High School of Mathematics and Science (Diploma)

      yukilei:
      DVL:

      [quote=\"phtthp\"]for girls who admit into NUSH so young at Sec 1 - what kind of career profession(s) can possibly await them in future 6 years later after receiving a Diploma, besides being scientists & researchers in Life Science, Physical Science, Engineering, Botany, Biology & other Technology areas ?


      Doctor, dentist, pharmacist, clinical researcher, economist, IT, mathematician and many more. I believe NUSH students will find it easier to cope if they would choose to read these courses at Uni level. However, it does not stop them from pursuing other courses such as economics, law, etc. If you look at the specialisation years (Y5 & Y6), students may opt for subj combi of 2 sciences, 1 maths & 1 humanity. This subj combi is no different from those offered at JCs. Very common to have top JC Science students opt for non science, mathematics, engineering related courses at Uni level.

      Thks DVL. This information is very useful. Was telling my DS he can be a math lecturer too... am i right?[/quote]Just got this info on PSC scholarship, so you can see that you can have an idea what type of courses they are reading (sorry can't place it nicely, definitely not confine to Science only):


      Name of Scholar \tYear of Award \tScholarship Awarded \tSecondary School / Junior College Attended \tCourse of Study \tCountry
      Kylie Goh Jin Ying \t2011\tSingapore Government Scholarship (Open) \tNUS High School of Mathematics & Science \tBiology \tUnited States of America
      \t\t\t\tStanford University
      \t

      Jessica Loo Li Ping \t2011\tSingapore Government Scholarship (Open) \tNUS High School of Mathematics & Science \tEconomics \tUnited Kingdom
      \t\t\t\tUniversity College London \t


      Chew Xizhi Stephanie \t2011\tSingapore Government Scholarship (Open) \tNUS High School of Mathematics & Science \tLaw \tUnited Kingdom
      \t\t\t\tUniversity College London \t

      posted in Secondary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      H
      happymum8
    • RE: NUS High School of Mathematics and Science (Diploma)

      Singapore Science and Engineering Fair (SSEF) 2011


      The Singapore Science & Engineering Fair (SSEF) is affiliated to the prestigious Intel International Science and Engineering Fair (Intel ISEF), which is regarded as the Olympics of science competitions. Research projects submitted covers all areas of science and engineering. Shortlisted projects are judged by a number of judges from local universities, polytechnics as well as research institutes.

      This year for SSEF 2011, NUS High School has 70 projects in the Final and clinched 10 out of the 17 gold awards given out in the competition, which has no precedence in the whole history of SSEF. In total, NUS High School students have 10 Golds, 5 Silvers, 11 Bronzes and 5 Merit awards. In addition, Cheng Herng Yi of NUS High School was selected to present his mathematics project at Intel International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF).

      posted in Secondary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      H
      happymum8
    • RE: How to cope with child who failed Maths at Sec 3?

      I thank you all for your kind and valuable advice.


      However, only a handful failed in his class. I am trying to encourage him and asked him to practise more and ask early if he has any doubts.

      I’ll also ask the current tutor to help and monitor him.

      I hope this phase of getting use to IP will not cause him to be asked to leave the school…

      posted in Secondary Schools - Academic Support
      H
      happymum8
    • How to cope with child who failed Maths at Sec 3?

      Dear All,


      My DS has just entered to an IP school at sec 3 this year.

      His maths at sec 1 & 2 has always been A1.

      However, 1st term of this year, he got a 57% and his resent test is 28/60 (is 40% of this term weightage). Though the assignment of 60% might help him to pass, but paper itself is a flop....

      The maths structure is a combination of E & A maths.

      I've already get a tutor for him a month before this test and he attempted the past year questions from his school without much difficulties.

      I don't know what is really wrong.... however, I've to tell him that this is not the end of the world and I can see he is really working hard too.....

      Need some help from the parents and see how I can do next.

      Thank you. 😓

      posted in Secondary Schools - Academic Support
      H
      happymum8
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 12
    • 13
    • 2 / 13
      About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy