Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login
    1. Home
    2. insanePaPa
    3. Posts
    I
    Offline
    • Profile
    • Following 0
    • Followers 0
    • Topics 3
    • Posts 43
    • Groups 0

    Posts

    Recent Best Controversial
    • RE: Secondary School Selection 2012

      insanePaPa:
      My dd scored 232+2. My 1st 3 choices would be as follows:


      1. Ngee Ann Sec (COP: 233) May not make it. But if can, would it matters if my dd is in the last of the cohort? What's at stake? 5min walk from where we stay.
      2. Dunman Sec (COP:229)
      3. Temasek Sec (COP: 230)
      4.
      5.
      6.

      For the remaining choices, we're contemplating on the below few schools in the East. They're:

      Hai Sing Catholic (COP: 225) No clue on this school. Any comments? Affiliated to Catholic JC.
      Bedok View (COP: 217) Will be in top of cohort.
      St. Hilda's (COP: 228) No clue on this school. Any comments?
      Pasir Ris (COP: 221) DD teacher's told them \"better not choose\" :?
      Nan Chiau High (COP: 236) SAP school. Risky, still out by 2pts after +2 in HCL.

      We hope to hear more comments and recommendations on the above schools' choices before firming the final 6s.

      :thankyou:
      Our initial final 6 would be (Final choices TBC):
      1. Ngee Ann Sec
      2. Dunman Sec
      3. Temasek Sec
      4. Pasir Ris Sec
      5. Hai Sing Sec
      6. St. Hilda's Sec

      Any comments on our choices? My dd is having 2nd thought on the placement for 3rd & 4th choice due to traveling distance is further for Temasek Sec but I'm more incline to the above arrangement due to Temasek's better academic performance. Should I do the swap for the benefit of shorter traveling distance as we're staying nearer to Pasir Ris Sec?

      :lovesite:

      posted in Secondary Schools - Selection
      I
      insanePaPa
    • RE: Secondary School Selection 2012

      Bonnie:
      How does the MOE computer selection work? it mean that my chance gets slimmer as it goes down the 6 choices. Meaning if I select a school X and put 3rd choice, my chance is reduced cos School X is someone else's first choice?


      Does it work that way? Would appreciate some kind soul advice as that would affect the ranking of my choices

      Thanks
      From my humble understanding, it is still merit before choice. Which mean to say, the computer would still pick up higher T-score irregardless of choices.

      posted in Secondary Schools - Selection
      I
      insanePaPa
    • RE: Secondary School Selection 2012

      Dreamgear:
      insanePaPa:

      My dd scored 232+2. My 1st 3 choices would be as follows:


      1. Ngee Ann Sec (COP: 233) May not make it. But if can, would it matters if my dd is in the last of the cohort? What's at stake? 5min walk from where we stay.
      2. Dunman Sec (COP:229)
      3. Temasek Sec (COP: 230)
      4.
      5.
      6.

      For the remaining choices, we're contemplating on the below few schools in the East. They're:

      Hai Sing Catholic (COP: 225) No clue on this school. Any comments? Affiliated to Catholic JC.
      Bedok View (COP: 217) Will be in top of cohort.
      St. Hilda's (COP: 228) No clue on this school. Any comments?
      Pasir Ris (COP: 221) DD teacher's told them \"better not choose\" :?
      Nan Chiau High (COP: 236) SAP school. Risky, still out by 2pts after +2 in HCL.

      We hope to hear more comments and recommendations on the above schools' choices before firming the final 6s.

      :thankyou:


      At ngee ann, your dd will not be the lowest because they take in affliated from ngee ann primary....

      Thank You, Dreamgear for your reminder. It's comforting to hear this...
      Anyone here's a Dunmanite?

      posted in Secondary Schools - Selection
      I
      insanePaPa
    • RE: Secondary School Selection 2012

      nhps2012:
      insanePaPa:

      My dd scored 232+2. My 1st 3 choices would be as follows:


      1. Ngee Ann Sec (COP: 233) May not make it. But if can, would it matters if my dd is in the last of the cohort? What's at stake? 5min walk from where we stay.
      2. Dunman Sec (COP:229)
      3. Temasek Sec (COP: 230)
      4.
      5.
      6.

      For the remaining choices, we're contemplating on the below few schools in the East. They're:

      Hai Sing Catholic (COP: 225) No clue on this school. Any comments? Affiliated to Catholic JC.
      Bedok View (COP: 217) Will be in top of cohort.
      St. Hilda's (COP: 228) No clue on this school. Any comments?
      Pasir Ris (COP: 221) DD teacher's told them \"better not choose\" :?
      Nan Chiau High (COP: 236) SAP school. Risky, still out by 2pts after +2 in HCL.

      We hope to hear more comments and recommendations on the above schools' choices before firming the final 6s.

      :thankyou:

      I am not so familiar with those schools listed above.

      I will place my top 2 choices as Nan Chiau (-2) and Ngee Ann (-1) and be prepared to appeal.

      Thank You, nhps2012.
      Seriously, Nan Chiau is one of the better school in NE. I might consider to appeal as my dd is in her school's GuZheng and had contributed to its achievement in SYF (Silver) twice. But -2pts, is it a little... unreachable? Any successful applicants before me care to share your experience with us here. :please:

      Worrying PaPa :faint:

      posted in Secondary Schools - Selection
      I
      insanePaPa
    • RE: Secondary School Selection 2012

      My dd scored 232+2. My 1st 3 choices would be as follows:


      1. Ngee Ann Sec (COP: 233) May not make it. But if can, would it matters if my dd is in the last of the cohort? What's at stake? 5min walk from where we stay.
      2. Dunman Sec (COP:229)
      3. Temasek Sec (COP: 230)
      4.
      5.
      6.

      For the remaining choices, we're contemplating on the below few schools in the East. They're:

      Hai Sing Catholic (COP: 225) No clue on this school. Any comments? Affiliated to Catholic JC.
      Bedok View (COP: 217) Will be in top of cohort.
      St. Hilda's (COP: 228) No clue on this school. Any comments?
      Pasir Ris (COP: 221) DD teacher's told them \"better not choose\" :?
      Nan Chiau High (COP: 236) SAP school. Risky, still out by 2pts after +2 in HCL.

      We hope to hear more comments and recommendations on the above schools' choices before firming the final 6s.

      :thankyou:

      posted in Secondary Schools - Selection
      I
      insanePaPa
    • RE: Dunman Secondary School

      Any Dunmanites around? šŸ˜„

      posted in Secondary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      I
      insanePaPa
    • RE: PSLE 2012 - Results Discussion

      lotus123:
      kwcllf:

      [quote=\"Coolkidsrock2\"]This seems to be true for 5 kids I know, out by at least 1 big figure from expectations.


      True for my DD. But what does this mean?
      1. Cohort mean score has gone up
      2. number students having 260+ t-score have increased significantly.

      I'm puzzled too. Could it be 1 or 2 schools producing too many top scorers and thus pulling others down?[/quote]Nobody to answer our questions. Don't know where to find the answers.Very stunned n puzzled.
      My daughter was in the top 10 range in her school. Now the others who were far behind has overtaken her.
      Now I know how the hare, in the tortoise and hare story, felt after the tortoise had won(though we did not fell asleep like the tortoise).[/quote]

      I have spoken to my kid's tutor earlier. He said some of his students in the top of their respective classes saw their T Score dropped significantly. The same happened to my kid as his result is below what he is capable of. This is a big surprise to the tutor and he said some of his students' parents will be going back to their kids' school to try to find out why the large difference in PSLE results and school results.[/quote]


      I happened to check the Learning Lab website tdy and was shocked to learn that many of these top scorers over the years are from learning lab. I remember some of these top scorers claimed they did not go for tuition but they are students of this expensive tuition centre. besides the point that these kids who score above 270 are from GEP, they get more training from this expensive tuition centre. Their names and scores are all provided in Learning Lab's website. Now I'm no longer so impressed with these kids' psle top scores. this shows if a kid can afford learning lab's fees and with their special high calibre coaching, scores 270 and above, this doesn't make them more intelligent than other kids who cannot afford the expensive tuition fees. it just shows with more thorough coaching kids can do better than their peers. that doesn't sound impressive anymore![/quote]

      I guessed with greater exposure to diversify questions and adopting different approaches in understanding (or answering questions) difficult questions and equipping good analytically skills can then enable a child to think out of the box? Too less (exposure) will put them in the rear passenger seats as compare to those already in the driver seats. Students with less privileges or access to these premium tuition centres will never out beat them? What's your take on this, parents?

      I reckon the fee is sky rocket high? I can never afford to send my kids to these 'high end' tuition centres. :moneyflies: Oh... btw, any one know what's the charges in The Learning Lab (SG) like? :please:

      posted in Secondary Schools - Selection
      I
      insanePaPa
    • RE: PSLE 2012 - Report Results Only, No Discussions

      Is 270 highest in Yumin or at least that was was what my dd in the same sch told me?

      posted in Secondary Schools - Selection
      I
      insanePaPa
    • RE: Dunman Secondary School

      My dd is considering Dunman Sec & Ngee Ann Sec. Any review on the former?

      posted in Secondary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      I
      insanePaPa
    • RE: 2014 PSLE Discussions and Strategy

      My DD just completed her HMT today and after seeing this inspiring thread, I’m glad to have joined this wonderful forum. Btw my DS is taking his PSLE in 2014 too. Hope to get some tips from all of you.

      posted in Primary 6 & PSLE
      I
      insanePaPa
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 4 / 5
      About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy