Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login
    1. Home
    2. jice_cream
    3. Posts
    J
    Offline
    • Profile
    • Following 0
    • Followers 0
    • Topics 0
    • Posts 5
    • Groups 0

    Posts

    Recent Best Controversial
    • RE: O-Level English

      twilight:
      Thanks everyone. 🙂


      Another thing I find highly beneficial is to read examiners' report. Some teachers will flash it to their students (students are not allowed to retain a copy of it as it's supposed to be confidential) but others might not.
      http://younisfarid.wordpress.com/
      This site does have a lot of examiners' report. However, it is for the UK O levels. Though it's different, I highly believe examiners marking the UK paper and Singapore paper are either the same ones, or they have gone through similar training (speculation from similarities spotted in both Singapore and UK O levels examiners' report). Whatever that's pointed out there pertains to our local O levels as well.
      Nice. you have a pragmatic and helpful information here, I bet it could have helped many people improve their English skills. Except that i hope i knew it a yr or
      more ago, so I wouldnt commit those mistakes stated in the examiners report and scored a D7 for my Os in 2015. 😢
      Thanks for providing information for those who havent done O level yet, and want to improve on their English. It'll prove to be very useful for my O level's retake too.

      posted in Secondary Schools - Academic Support
      J
      jice_cream
    • RE: * Millennia Institute (MI)

      jetsetter:

      Agree with floppy. Even if you get into MI or another lower-tiered JC, you might not be able to get into Science faculty. If you get Arts Faculty and your Eng is poor, you will have a tough time doing those Humanities subjects. Don't forget the mother of all Humans to deal with - GP.

      How about business mgmt or accountancy in poly?

      You probably can retake as pte candidate, but like Joy for Learning 111 has advised, you need to a min of some grade to qualify, right?
      Can I go back to my former school to study as a school candidate? No, since it is for students who did badly and only eligible for ite. Can i retake as a private candidate? Yes. i went to MOE and asked they say i can use a comb cert. I wanna try this yr & see if my results improve or not. if it didnt, then i will accept my fate. Meanwhile I'll sign up for a course in Poly.
      Part of the reasons why i wanna get into JC/MI is cuz most of my cousins who took their A levels said that it's not that hard. One of my cousins who got C6 for Eng but got into a top JC cuz of higher chinese said that A lvl isnt really that hard as long as you study. Most of my cousins studied in JC or is aiming for JC. i want to be on par with them. not look down by them since im from poly. Then there comes my career choices. im an indecisive person so i might regret taking the course in poly. what if i regret and have no choice but to die die study the same course in uni or to work as the same career in the future? Regretting & switching course in uni is much easier with an A lvl cert maybe? High chance of getting into a good prestigious local uni too if you're a jc graduate w a decent A level score.
      Even if i still can't into a jc my cert will look horrible with 2 Ds on it. I know its a hard life if i were in jc/mi but i believe that anyone can make it no matter how hard it is, its just the determination. i know i might not have an advantage into science stream as i took comb science but i hope they would maybe consider since I took A maths? I think i can get in if i retake my double maths & get a distinct. this time. That's just my opinion on Poly/JC tho I havent try any of it yet.
      Im not that much interested in Accountance but i wanna try business. I cant get in both which is sad 😢 thats why i hope to retake & pass english so i can get more to choose. even if im content with my current course getting better grade for English is neccessary for future enrolment & job opportunities. dont think employer wud be happy with my current english results. Thus, I am very determined to retake as a private candidate since I'm qualify for it according to the MOE. I believe I can do better since I knew that my previous way of studying is wrong, and I realized what mistakes I've committed so I could mend it this time. As of the arts stream, if say my English & humans result improve, why not? \"A pathway is created by someone walking on the ground (or grass) where nobody has stepped before\"

      posted in Tertiary Education - A-Levels
      J
      jice_cream
    • RE: * Millennia Institute (MI)

      floppy:


      I'll just go straight to the point.

      Based on your results and possible subject combinations, MI or JC would not be suitable for you. You will probably do well in an Engineering or IT type of courses in the poly.
      im not even eligible for JC/MI with this result. i dont think i will do well in engineering as im a feminine girl and engineering is more of like a masculine course. i look thru it &its not suitable for me at all. IT sounds cool but its too complicated esp programming. wanna try design but i struggled w DnT last yr.I wanna do well & study business or psychology

      posted in Tertiary Education - A-Levels
      J
      jice_cream
    • RE: * Millennia Institute (MI)

      havok_ex:


      Firstly, failing combine humans is not a norm. I was from a very neighbourhood school. PSLE entry 189 kind and nobody thought it was a norm to fail combine humans SS/Geog or SS/history.

      Secondly, the information you need is here:

      http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/admissi ... tion-6.pdf

      It is under section 6a, first two pages. The aggregate calculation for L1R4 is excluding bonus points for MI. There is such a thing as a conditional admission for MI as pointed out in section 6a Table 9. You fall under the 16-20 point for L1R4 category since bonus points are excluded.

      However, you are not eligible for the conditional admission since they require ALL of the R4 subjects to either be A1 or A2.
      In my school, or my class, the majority are C6 to F9 range for usual exam, only minority get B3 & above. It is very hard to pass or get a good grade for humans, unless the teacher is very lenient for that test, and different teachers have different scores one. I always hear people who take geo+ss scoring better than those who take ss+hist for normal exams. I am not sure what happened to my school. Have no choice but to face it since my school only offers 1 humans (no pure only combine) unless u took lit, my lit sucks. Even for O level many people scored C6/D7 for Eng & failed humans. The percentage of distinction for humans was only 8% if i not wrong when it's at least 20% for other papers. Many people cry on that day. I was even shocked when I found out that a guy who used to always top the class for Eng got C6 for his actual paper. My school is a neighborhood school too, my PSLE was 214 and I got in, although the lowest cut-off was 195+ at that time. I regretted my choice sometimes. I kinda got influenced negatively there. I just emailed MI but bad news they say if it's not indicated in form A then I am not eligible for it. I can already see how important English is. I don't care about my Sec school & what i experienced/learnt there anymore, not like I can go back & change anything. I am determined to retake humans and Eng this yr as a private candidate, so I can get a better cert. :imcool: :rahrah:

      posted in Tertiary Education - A-Levels
      J
      jice_cream
    • RE: * Millennia Institute (MI)

      Hi all, I am currently a student who has graduated from Secondary School in year 2015 after taking my Os on the same year. I got D7 my English and Combine Humans (SS +history) but both my L1R4 and L1R5 are still below 20 after deducting CCA points. I wonder if there is any chance of me being able to get into a JC or Millennia Institute despite failing English. I know that the doors of JC are shut and I could hardly appeal for it if I got D7 for my English. The reason that I wanted to take A levels after this is that I feel that I am capable of studying and giving JC or MI a shot. I think my performance for my English for my O level was not an accurate measure of my usual skills as English was one of the first few papers that I did in O level. Furthermore Combine Humanities is a tough subject especially it’s a combination of SS and history thus it is the norm to fail it in in my usual exams in school. I know that it is hard for me to be able to get into JC now but I wonder if i could still try Millennia Institute. A friend told me that I am still able to get into Millennia Institute as long as my L1R4 is below 20 although she is unsure whether I could still get in if i failed my English. I have considered retaking my O level English and probably Humanities this year so that I could have better choices to make. I have heard that it is possible for Millennia Institute to accept such students if their L1R4 is below 20 and they can re-sit for their English O level paper and if they met the criteria they’ll be able to stay in the school.

      I don’t know much about MI as I seldom heard any teachers talking about it, I knew about it only on the day of the release of Os result. I went home to research about it and it feels like a place for those students who didn’t do as well for their O level to get into JC but wanted to pursue their Education to A level.

      So basically my Os result was:
      English: D7
      Combine Humans: D7
      Chinese: A2
      Combine Science: A2
      A Maths: B3
      E Maths: B4
      Design and Technology: B3

      My L1R5 (before deducting CCA points): 21
      L1R5 (after deducting CCA points): 19
      L1R4 (before deducting CCA points): 17
      L1R4 (after deducting CCA points): 15

      I got A2 for my CCA so could I still minus my CCA points which is 2 points when I sign up for Millennia Institute as like any other JC/Poly?

      posted in Tertiary Education - A-Levels
      J
      jice_cream
    • 1 / 1
      About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy