slmkhoo:I don't agree with your basic premise (highlighted by me in red) if you mean by that that most kids can be pushed in the direction of GEP (which by Singapore's definition is for the top 1-2%(?)). I do agree with the sentiment I highlighted in blue, but a child may be pushed in many directions, and not all of those directions will head in the direction of GEP, or have the GEP even as a side effect.
most kids are similar, doesn't mean that most kids can be pushed into GEP. GEP is to measure Language/Maths/IQ and select the top 1% only. What I mean is that, every child has potential, before parents see the true shape of their children, parents shouldn't simply label a kid that he/she is not bright enough to go GEP then give up to try, or label a kid that he/she is entitled to go GEP then over push the kid to a direction which the kid may not be able to fit. One step more, even after GEP selection, so call 'GEPer' is similar to 'MSer' also. They are just different shape of jades.
