Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login
    1. Home
    2. peter-k
    3. Posts
    P
    Offline
    • Profile
    • Following 0
    • Followers 0
    • Topics 1
    • Posts 67
    • Groups 0

    Posts

    Recent Best Controversial
    • RE: Bukit Timah Primary

      AKIZ\" post_id=\"1945100\" time=\"1573052580\" user_id=\"144856:

      Hi Peter-k

      Much thanks for your quick response. It is indeed a concern if the school tends to sweep issues under the carpet.
      Referring to the theft issue:
      To both my wife's and my astonishment and disappointment we did not hear anything for a couple of weeks. Astonishment as well, because \"school talk\" was certainly going on. 4 children from 1 class were missing their wallets, of course people talk.
      The reason for the delay was the exam time, as we were told, everyone busy and they did not want to affect the exams. I would have decided differently, but that is a personal opinion and we respect the school's opinion. The teacher handled things effective and professional, together with the school's counselor.
      All in all I am very glad to report that the theft issue has been followed up yesterday and today.

      I am older generation but I think in 2019 we should be all able to discuss issues openly.

      posted in Primary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      P
      peter-k
    • RE: Bukit Timah Primary

      AKIZ\" post_id=\"1944637\" time=\"1572862926\" user_id=\"144856:

      Hi,

      I may want to register my child in 2020 for BTPS. For those parents who already has kids in the school, may I ask if there are a lot of rowdy behavior in majority of the kids there? Using vulgarities, using rude language at one another, for example “loser! no brains ah!;” etc, hitting and pushing one another just for fun ..??
      They are - somewhat - these issues. And I don't think that teachers always follow up consequently. The school tends to sweep issues under the carpet.
      For example P5 and P6 bullying the juniors, I reported twice, did not even get a feed-back.
      Theft, known who . . . and never really followed up. Now everyone hides their wallet.
      It has to get very hard until they really react. I'm not knowing if that is normal here on schools. But I know from befriended kids, Henry park does not have theft or senior pupils bullying juniors issues.

      posted in Primary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      P
      peter-k
    • RE: Bukit Timah Primary

      manorway\" post_id=\"1944227\" time=\"1572597884\" user_id=\"9303:

      IB PYP is only available in international schools. BTPS's curriculum is standardised by MOE so it will be the same like all other Primary schools in SG. Take what is stated on the websites with a BIG pinch of salt. The terms may be used but the execution on the ground makes the biggest difference.
      Albeit I do believe there is more contemporary available in the Singapore's school system.
      Henry Park for example seems somewhat further. At least from what I gather from the neighbour's kids. But don't get me wrong. I am not one to believe in \"branded\" schools. The biggest difference is the teacher your child will have. We had everything, from a guy who slept in front of the class to a lady (Chinese) who really cared.

      posted in Primary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      P
      peter-k
    • RE: Bukit Timah Primary

      No

      posted in Primary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      P
      peter-k
    • RE: Bukit Timah Primary

      Here is my offer for possibly answering your questions.

      t1m3ch453r\" post_id=\"1929781\" time=\"1566096951\" user_id=\"180601:
      You do not need to volunteer. BTPS has accepted all applicants in the past 5 years. If you want to earn perks you can still volunteer when you are back, e.g. as a traffic warden, or other functions in the parents group.

      t1m3ch453r\" post_id=\"1929781\" time=\"1566096951\" user_id=\"180601:[quote=t1m3ch453r post_id=1929781 time=1566096951 user_id=180601]2. Like the poster above - Hindi as mother tongue (though tbh my son's mother tongue technically is English)
      I believe BTPS offers Tamil, since it is the most common Indian language in Singapore. If you do not like the language choices offered by BTPS, there is a system in place for MOE recognized 3. party language programs. I am sure the school can advise. BTW the mother tongue principle is outdated now in our global world, and should be re-thought and possibly replaced by a second language system.

      t1m3ch453r\" post_id=\"1929781\" time=\"1566096951\" user_id=\"180601:
      3. Son doesn't sit still, and does follow instructions but maybe second or third time. No ADHD before someone asks, just a hyperactive distracted kid. Any parents with any experience with similar kids and BTPS who might have pointers?
      Send him to sports and let him play physical games. Avoid letting him sit on the sofa the entire day and play hand phone.

      t1m3ch453r\" post_id=\"1929781\" time=\"1566096951\" user_id=\"180601:
      4. Advice please - when we do get back to Singapore, should we continue him in an international school (he has been studying in the brit system) till P1 stage or put into local kindy to get him accustomed to the changes
      I would not do that. I'd send my son always again to a government school (recognizing the disadvantages). I did sent my son \"for a test\" into a German school for a week. He was fully capable to accomplish what was expected there, except things directly related German language skills. There is no reason to spend all the money on overpriced international schools, except you have no time to watch his homework closely or help him personally. The beauty of BTPS is, there are children from many nations. Your child will never feel different or odd, and having friends from all kind of colours is a huge plus in my eyes.

      posted in Primary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      P
      peter-k
    • RE: Bukit Timah Primary

      oplo\" post_id=\"1915375\" time=\"1561178312\" user_id=\"176584:

      peter-k\" post_id=\"1915274\" time=\"1561095018\" user_id=\"70755:

      At P4 level there will be 1 or 2 kids disappearing, kids that passed the GEP screening. The process is irrelevant with regards to \"gifted\". But if we see that more as a filtering system for young kids who are willing to study far above average, dedicated and hard, then it makes more sense.

      GEP screening like ESIS, includes WISC, CogAT, OLSAT, doesn't filters for hard workers. Its similar to other gifted programmes but slightly more stringent than some, e.g., UK's YG&T before it was abolished.

      http://marcusgohmarcusgoh.com/education/education-3-ways-help-child-gep-selection-test-someone-actually-passed-test
      All those kids at my sons level classes who passed excessively practiced for it. The way how it is done has nothing to do with talent, it is a rather irrelevant knowledge snapshot passed by those who never learned how to play a game with other kids, or how make friends. They never have time and typically have a full schedule just like a CEO.

      \"So I say we should either abolish the GEP, or dilute it to a nascent and continuous activity where teachers get to identify and recommend those in their classes for special attention. And reduce the programme to something like 0.001% or not more than 30 students. I can't imagine a population having 1% of geniuses every year. That should really make the programme focus on what it should be doing - on the natural born geniuses.\"

      Quote from https://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=30&sid=db67e6726e6f84bb7967d24563388ce7

      I'd entirely go with that.

      posted in Primary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      P
      peter-k
    • RE: Bukit Timah Primary

      At P4 level there will be 1 or 2 kids disappearing, kids that passed the GEP screening. The process is irrelevant with regards to "gifted". But if we see that more as a filtering system for young kids who are willing to study far above average, dedicated and hard, then it makes more sense.

      Note, more kids do disappear after P2. Some of them are been identified early as physically talented, some others might have used BTPS as a stepping stone.

      Regarding character education, I personally do not see much of this. I don’t have a comparison to other schools, though they all ought to follow the general curriculum. However please allow me to highlight again, BTPS is a very unique school in terms of the schools students structure. There are so many nations present, it almost appears like an international school. To me that’s a huge plus, because the kids learn automatically different colours and cultures through their friends.

      posted in Primary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      P
      peter-k
    • RE: Bukit Timah Primary

      The school has about 70 % boys, so they are mostly boys. I have no clue where they are transferred to. One mother I know even took a 3 months leave of absence to go through mountains of old tests with her son.

      posted in Primary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      P
      peter-k
    • RE: Bukit Timah Primary

      From the experience with the class of my son, all those kids were intensively prepared to pass GEP test. Some of them would not need the school anymore, the entire curriculum had been already done before the school term even started.

      posted in Primary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      P
      peter-k
    • RE: Are Preschools Necessary?

      Please refer to this article https://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/article/are-preschools-necessary-the-pros-and-cons/


      In Singapore Preschools are necessary.

      P1 in Singapore is actually what is P2 in my birth country Germany. P1 is there what K1 and K2 is here. When joining primary schools, the system in Singapore depends on the child already being able to have basic reading, writing and numbering skills.

      Therefore primary schools in Germany (and most countries in the world) start at 6 y age, but in Singapore at 7 years. I recommend or rather urge parents to send their child to Preschool at least from K1.

      What however is absolutely not needed is sending children to mathematics classes and reading books classes at 3 yo.

      posted in Playgroups
      P
      peter-k
    • 1 / 1
      About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy