Hi everyone. I know it’s been a while since this incident has happened, but after reading the comments here, I felt like sharing my opinion.
First of all, I was Yu Heng’s friend. I knew him quite well, and we practically grew up together. Hearing about his death really scarred me; to think I’d lose a friend in such an instant was unimaginable. Especially when I was at the tender age of ten. Till today, I still remember him and the times we had together. I’d never forget him as a classmate, or a friend.
Secondly, you can’t blame his parents. We were supposed to have a break after the dismissal bell, as we had a field trip to go to. I remember where we were supposed to go- The Singapore River. He wanted to go to the mama shop to buy some snacks, but that would mean he had to rush there and back- we didn’t have a very long break.
True, there was no one watching the road, I saw it with my own eyes as I got food from my domestic helper at the gate. As I did, I heard someone scream. I saw people clustering at the road side. The next moment I knew, I was prompted by my helper to go have my food. As I ate, I heard my classmates talk about the incident that just happened. Apparently someone hit Yu Heng just as he was dashing across the road. There was quite a bit of gore; most possibly why my helper didn’t want me to look.
I remembered seeing my teacher rushing to the gate- she heard about the news. I can still see the anxious face she made back then. My classmates and I were then placed in a waiting room where we were supposed to stay till our parents came. My classmates began speculating who did this and who did that. Several theories came, one more ridiculous than the previous.
I heard about his death the next day. It honestly wasn’t a good time for me. I didn’t want to go out of the house at all. I didn’t go to his wake either, because I had developed some form of depression.
It still affects me to this day. I admit, I search up this topic still, because the 10 year old me would’ve wanted to know more. I also wished to have my input heard on this incident.
T
Offline
Posts
-
RE: School boy killed outside school gate