All about Transferring to Other Primary Schools
-
We applied when our son was P2 (end of yr 2007), the General Office staff of a SAP school near our home, claimed that there were no vancancy and it was on a first-come-first-seve basis. When I asked if they did not even look at result before they consider admitting, they said yes. I could not believe my ears.
After SA2 last year, we made a last ditch effort to transfer our son (P3 then) after learning that around 9 P3 students were offered GEP courses. This is the most precious ‘window period’ to apply as we feel that the school has no excuse to say ‘no vancancy’. We were thinking that, should my son get in, it will be less stressful for us to register our daughter for P1 this year 2009.
I wrote a lengthing letter, citing reasons like, proximity to school, good results, how we gave up priority to get into my husband’s alumini school (Maris Stella High) and went on to try balloting in P2C and failed. Got to meet the principal ( who was transferring out then) , he asked if our son could sing, play an instrument or excel in any sport. We said he has none to offer except ‘above average results’ (Band 1 in all 4 subjects). He told us he will keep us informed in due course.
We called almost every other week, until we were called up by the new principal in the 3rd week of December for interview, together with our son. He was relatively young, but was sincere and told us frankly that he had only 2 to 3 vancanies to offer, as he did not wish to overburden teacher with new student to manage.
Our good news came on Boxing Day, we bought all the new stuffs on the last few days of the new year. And our daughter’s P1 registeration was a breeze compared to our son’s , few years back.
So, do not give up hope, preserve, even though you have to wait till the few last days of the year. Cheers! -
Can someone enlighten me what is the different between government aided and government school?
-
Did anyone send your girl for the P1 admission test for 2010 at SCGS on the 7th of November? I didnt know there was such a test. Feel so bad for my girl!
-
favianboy:
Can someone enlighten me what is the different between government aided and government school?
Hi favianboy. Your question is answered here:
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/content/choosing-primary-school-singapore -
//Moderator's note: Topics merged.
Hii all, I tried posting in the other thread but got the message that only MODS can post so I am posting this here.
My son has been registered for West Grove Primary for 2010 ( P1 ).. but I may need to change him to another school as we may be shifting, what can I do now ?
Is it too late to shift him to another school ? Do I have to wait till he is Primary 3 before I can transfer him to another school ? -
chixchix:
Is it too late to shift him to another school ? Do I have to wait till he is Primary 3 before I can transfer him to another school ?
Hi chixchix!
You don't have to wait till your boy reaches P3 before you transfer him to another school.
Call the school of your interest up, and try to seek an audience with the principal. The principal will be able to clarify any concerns you have. -
chixchix:
chixchix,//Moderator's note: Topics merged.
Hii all, I tried posting in the other thread but got the message that only MODS can post so I am posting this here.
My son has been registered for West Grove Primary for 2010 ( P1 ).. but I may need to change him to another school as we may be shifting, what can I do now ?
Is it too late to shift him to another school ? Do I have to wait till he is Primary 3 before I can transfer him to another school ?
if your transfer of school is due to residence relocation and if you are not opting for a very popular school, shouldn't be much of a problem if you can impress upon the principal the logistics issue. so long the school is not too popular, there will surely be students on the waiting list of other popular schools, hence being transferred out to leave a vacancy in the class. -
Does contacting the principal of a school directly helps to have a better chances in school transfer?
I’ve send out several request to school generic e-mail address. I follow up with a phone call. It’s always on a wait list. It’s not the top end school but just an acceptable school in the west area, also no chance. I’m faced with one morning one afternoon session next year. Takes extra effort to juggle pick and sending of both children since they are in different school.
Anyone has successful experience to share? -
EN:
hm..Does contacting the principal of a school directly helps to have a better chances in school transfer?
I've send out several request to school generic e-mail address.
i had sent out 2 feedback email to my ds1's school generic email address and did not even get an acknowledgement reply :roll: .
so i guess in any case, best is cc to principal the email if you can get hold of his/her address. -
Seeking advice from parents
My daughter's grades would qualify for a better school, if a vacancy arises. She is considered a rather big fish in her current small pond. If transferred, likely to be a small fish in such a big pond. I am not too worried about new school's higher standard, I believe she would enjoy the challenge. If continue in same school, alright for her self esteem too.
That new school gave better training in competitions and consistently produced better academic results. Although students' own motivation probably played a bigger role than teachers', I would like to think the school must have done something right & helped in some ways too.
Should I transfer her?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login