Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Congee

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Tuckshop
    26 Posts 10 Posters 11.9k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • corneyAmberC Offline
      corneyAmber
      last edited by

      You mean Congee?


      Porridge to me is the teochew porridge(can still see rice grain type) or the ang mo porridge(cereal)

      The thick "congee" is the Cantonese style of "porridge".
      I usually don’t eat this outside except for tim sum at Crystal Jade and Xin Wang. Prefer to cook such congee at home.

      But teochew porridge which needs many dishes to go with, I typically go to the Havelock place in the night for such porridge.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • M Offline
        mathsparks
        last edited by

        yes, ks2me. congee, but its pronounced chok right? the ones at crystal jade are nice but I’m just wondering if any kopitiam or food centres have them.


        just curious, wat kind of rice to you use to cook congee?

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • S Offline
          sakura_2009
          last edited by

          mathsparks:
          yes, ks2me. congee, but its pronounced chok right? the ones at crystal jade are nice but I'm just wondering if any kopitiam or food centres have them.


          just curious, wat kind of rice to you use to cook congee?
          珍珠米 (pearl rice)

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • M Offline
            mathsparks
            last edited by

            thanks sakura. pearl rice is available at ntuc? never notice before. only know got pearl barley. :?

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • corneyAmberC Offline
              corneyAmber
              last edited by

              mathsparks:
              yes, ks2me. congee, but its pronounced chok right? the ones at crystal jade are nice but I'm just wondering if any kopitiam or food centres have them.


              just curious, wat kind of rice to you use to cook congee?
              Yes \"chok\" is correct or jhok.

              If you use normal rice, you add glutinous rice.

              If you use calrose rice, you can use on its own but add more water and less rice grains because it can become too thick.

              Yes now I remember the famous one... At Maxwell market, long long queue, they sell congee of all sorts.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • S Offline
                sakura_2009
                last edited by

                mathsparks:
                thanks sakura. pearl rice is available at ntuc? never notice before. only know got pearl barley. :?

                Errr, my MIL used to buy it at a provision store and cook porridge for my DS when he's a baby, she tells me its pearl rice :? ... but it actually looks like calrose rice to me though - short and round grain...

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • corneyAmberC Offline
                  corneyAmber
                  last edited by

                  Aiyo, this discussion about chok before dinner time is making me http://www.postimage.org/templates/images/smiley/food-and-drink/19.gif\"> hungry and :drool: now!

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • tankeeT Offline
                    tankee
                    last edited by

                    ks2me:
                    ...., I typically go to the Havelock place in the night for such porridge.

                    I used to go there too but stopped since a couple of years back. The standard seemed to have dropped then.

                    How is it now?

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • corneyAmberC Offline
                      corneyAmber
                      last edited by

                      tankee:
                      ks2me:

                      ...., I typically go to the Havelock place in the night for such porridge.


                      I used to go there too but stopped since a couple of years back. The standard seemed to have dropped then.

                      How is it now?

                      You ask me ah? I also have lesser night life now all spent in KSP already........so I don't know the latest. :lol:

                      I only remember the last time I went there I met Ann Kok in person...so it is a place maybe you can get to see some local stars? :lol:

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • tankeeT Offline
                        tankee
                        last edited by

                        just to make sure we are talking about the same place …


                        is it the old pre-war shophouse along havelock road near beo crescent?

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 3
                        • 1 / 3
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        sharonkhooS
                        sharonkhoo

                        Statistics

                        5

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy