Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Integrated Programme (IP)

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Secondary Schools - Selection
    435 Posts 118 Posters 247.9k Views 2 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • D Offline
      daisyt
      last edited by

      Hi micko07, thanks for sharing and I am glad you are so kind to share. I am one of the parents who are not sure about IP when my girl was choosing her sec school. I actually asked around 5 parents / adults and all gave me the same answer, "No for IP because its too risky." After discussed with my girl, she is willing to accept the challenge and to her IP teaching method sounds interesting and she wants to go for it. Hence out of all her 6 choices, 4 are IPs. She has also told me a lot of similar stories of what you have mentioned here about RGSS. She is NYGH crazy and she is going to be happy to read your posting.


      I personally still prefer a school that emphasise on chinese culture and fortunate enough, her aggregiate allows her to choose these schools.

      One thing I would like to share. A teacher was telling me, to decide whether to choose IP or not, depends a lot on your child’s learning attitute and character. If the child is those quiet type and prefers traditional teaching and learning environment, IP is not suitable. And I quite agree with this …

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • F Offline
        FlameFighter
        last edited by

        everybody onli talks about RGS and NYGH, ,wat about other IP skus lik Dunman High and River Valley High? From wat i noe, the costs of RGS & NYGH sch fees are vry expensive and not lik DHS(around $22) every month. this has shown that DHS has been progressing steadily, although it does not have such a high sku fee like RGS and NYGH. So why isit that ppl still talk like RGS and Nygh are the top pririority? ( same goes for RVHS although not sure bout the sku fees)

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • L Offline
          lizawa
          last edited by

          FlameFighter:
          everybody onli talks about RGS and NYGH, ,wat about other IP skus lik Dunman High and River Valley High? From wat i noe, the costs of RGS & NYGH sch fees are vry expensive and not lik DHS(around $22) every month. this has shown that DHS has been progressing steadily, although it does not have such a high sku fee like RGS and NYGH. So why isit that ppl still talk like RGS and Nygh are the top pririority? ( same goes for RVHS although not sure bout the sku fees)

          RGS and NYGH are independent schools, hence the higher school fees. But if you get the MOE scholarship, MOE will pay for the school fees (up to $2400 per year) for 6 years.

          The different schools' IP Programmes are not the same, although they all skipped 'O' levels. DHS, RVH, NJC will have school fees like government schools cos' they are not independent. Also, we haven't seen the pioneer batch of IP students from DHS, RVH or NJC graduate yet.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • V Offline
            Vanilla Cake
            last edited by

            lizawa:
            Also, we haven't seen the pioneer batch of IP students from DHS, RVH or NJC graduate yet.

            DHS's pioneer IP batch started in 2005 and took this year's A lvl. Next year (2009) sometime in March will the results be released. This was what I heard from the principal's speech this morning.

            😄

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • V Offline
              Vanilla Cake
              last edited by

              VJC considering IP intake at year 1 ? Pls read this thread :

              http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/printfriendly/0,4139,156789,00.html

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • W Offline
                WeiHan
                last edited by

                I have been curious how parents choose schools for their kids. What criterias and qualities of the schools do they really find out before they make decisions? Is the quality of independent schools really better than non-independent schools? If so, what are they?


                Maybe even choosing schools reveal much of Singaporeans trait, "choose the longest queue and you won’t be too wrong".

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • D Offline
                  daisyt
                  last edited by

                  Hi WeiHan, I can share my own experience in helping my child to choose her school. I do not choose the schools for her, I leave it to her to make her own decision. However I told her, my only criteria is, it must be a SAP school. That’s my individual preference because I always hope my child can be nurtured in a strong chinese culture enviornment.


                  Then it happened that majority of the SAP schools are IP. My worries came in and after talking to her and checking around, she told us she was willing to take up that challenge and put in extra effort. (IP is quite risky, at least that’s the feedback I received from most parents). My job was to tell her all the feedbacks I have received (good and bad) and the consequences. That’s how she came up her list of 6 choices.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • W Offline
                    WeiHan
                    last edited by

                    Vanilla Cake:
                    I am in a dilemma.Based on last year's COP :


                    Dunman High School - 260
                    National Junior College (Secondary Section ) - ?
                    Nanyang Girls' High School - 265
                    Raffles Girls' School (Secondary ) - 266
                    River Valley High School - 254

                    I got 260. Could I use merit in HCL to add 2 bonus points to become 262 if I apply for SAP schools? Heard that DHS's COP is very high and that those getting borderline COPs do not automatically get into DHS.

                    Hi Lizawa,

                    After deducting DSA students, how many left for S1 intake for NJC?
                    Any chance for me to get into NJC since this is the first year that they are taking Sec 1 students for IP? Will the COP be high ?

                    Warmest regards.
                    Looks like the mean psle agg for DSA is lower for most schools. For example, for Dunman High, according to the principal's tabulation, the mean agg for 2007 batch is 260 instead of the higher number shown in the MOE website. http://www.dhs.sg/adm/newspdf/2008DHSprogramme.pdf

                    I think it will be nice if MOE can includes these info in their website such as how many students get a place through DSA and their mean score etc....

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • P Offline
                      pink clouds
                      last edited by

                      Actually, a lower mean aggregate for DSA applicants may not always be true. I was a DSA applicant who was shortlisted for the NYGH interview along with many of my other friends who applied for it through academics. We were all rejected when the results came out, except for one, but still managed to get into NYGH through the MOE central posting. I asked around in school, and most of the DSA applicants who got in had a higher PSLE mean aggregate than the COP. I’m not sure about those who got in through sports, but you must definitely meet a certain mean aggregate before they will take you. I’m not sure about DHS, RVHS or NJC, but I guess that it should work that way as all of them are IP schools. Anyway, getting in for DSA is getting more and more difficult nowadays, especially through academics.Wishing all of this years’ DSA applicants good luck!

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • F Offline
                        flowermama
                        last edited by

                        My sec one son is currently in RV. He cannot understand the notes given by his science teacher, seems too cheem. So I enrol him in Just education IP Science class. He thinks the materials are good. They also have some "SPA" training which seems important.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 40
                        • 41
                        • 42
                        • 43
                        • 44
                        • 43 / 44
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        0

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy