Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Temper Tantrums

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Working With Your Child
    69 Posts 26 Posters 21.6k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • C Offline
      cherrygal
      last edited by

      smurf:
      My boy not afraid of the caning sound... :lol:


      In fact, he smile or laugh at the sound... :roll:
      If he's not afraid of the cane, then perhaps you need to use the deprivation method or the positive discipline method. The positive way is harder but I try to use it.

      Negative: If you don't do your homework, you don't watch TV. (Deprivation)
      Positive: You can watch TV after you do the homework. (Reward)

      Many times, it's how we say it. We need to learn what pushes our kids' buttons. I find my son acts on it if I use the positive method.

      Also, the cane won't instil fear if the parent doesn't look serious when disciplining. I have seen some mothers laugh while waving the cane like a magic wand, trying to discipline. That just makes the kid think it's fun to do the wrong thing.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • C Offline
        cherrygal
        last edited by

        Hi smurf,

        My son is very stubborn and wants his way most times. But he has met his match in me. I am the only one in the whole family that he’s afraid of. The grandparents spoil him, my DH gives in to avoid trouble… but I don’t let it go. So it’s impt that kids are afraid of someone.

        Each time he whines and threatens to cry, I break the momentum by telling him to wash his face. He always obliges and though his mood is still bad, he restrains his tears. Sometimes, he will sit on the floor at home and stamp his foot. I usually dare him to roll on the floor. He will stop. He has never dared to throw tantrums in public so far.

        I adopt reverse psychology on him sometimes and it works very well. He asks for sweets, I tell him he is coughing but he threatens to cry if not given. I show him the "give up" face, then tell him you want to eat you eat, coz it’s his health. Why bother? And he hesitates to take the sweet.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • S Offline
          smurf
          last edited by

          Wow, your boy is quite sensible.


          I have tried both ways u mentioned. Maybe he is still young. When I use cane, and when he knows that Im serious, sometimes he will be afraid, but after 5 mins, back to square one. Unless, I cane. When I cane, I cane really hard. And he will stop after that. Prior to that, nothing can stop him from being mischievous.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • C Offline
            cherrygal
            last edited by

            :lol: not that he's sensible...he's just very scared of me... I look like a monster when I get angry.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • S Offline
              smurf
              last edited by

              The point when u said he will hesitate when take a candy and eat, I think he is quite a thinker…

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • S Offline
                smurf
                last edited by

                The point when u said he will hesitate when take a candy and eat, I think he is quite a thinker…

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • L Offline
                  LittlePrinz
                  last edited by

                  This is the 'terrible two' stage. The best is ignorance and occasionally use the cane. :spank:

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • H Offline
                    HoSayLiao
                    last edited by

                    After reading many posts here, it seems parents have problems with children throwing tantrums, especially in public. During my times, we dun have such problems.


                    Throwing tantrums in public

                    My parents will ignore me, walk away and make sure I can’t find them and they themselves cannot find me.

                    Throwing tantrums at home

                    Chase the child out of the house, close the doors, no dinner and stay out until next morning.

                    Follow these 2 methods. Let me know if they don’t work.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • jedamumJ Offline
                      jedamum
                      last edited by

                      HoSayLiao:
                      After reading many posts here, it seems parents have problems with children throwing tantrums, especially in public. During my times, we dun have such problems.


                      Throwing tantrums in public

                      My parents will ignore me, walk away and make sure I can't find them and they themselves cannot find me.

                      Throwing tantrums at home

                      Chase the child out of the house, close the doors, no dinner and stay out until next morning.

                      Follow these 2 methods. Let me know if they don't work.
                      hi,
                      do you have children of your own?
                      if so, have you tried the above methods? your wife or even your parents agreed to such methods of punishment? grandparents use different yardstick in the upbringing of their children and their grandchildren....

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • H Offline
                        HoSayLiao
                        last edited by

                        Hi jedamum


                        When I was growing up, the 2 methods are commonly used. Trust me, they will work. Every now and then, I would see children of my age locked out of the house. Almost every night, I can hear parents screaming and children cry from the next block, not the next door. I still remember that usually, the Indian father is the harshest caner. Hahaha!! The good old days indeed!!!

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 3
                        • 4
                        • 5
                        • 6
                        • 7
                        • 6 / 7
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        5

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy