Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Club Breadmakers

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Newbies & Clubs
    5.5k Posts 151 Posters 1.7m Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • P Offline
      peterch
      last edited by

      autumnbronze:
      Okie, this is my 3rd wholemeal loaf.


      My DH finally got the chance to try it out.

      His verdict: tasty, esp the crust. I trust his judgement cuz he's my harshest critic. Although I admit that I personally am still not satisfied with it.

      I made some adjustments:

      1. I mixed 2 cups wholemeal flour with 1/4 cup bread flour

      2. I used warm water, not room temperature water

      3. I used 250g of crushed Vit C tablet

      4. I added a pinch of extra yeast on top of the specified amt

      Now, although the bread still did not rise as much (but def slightly higher than the first one), there were no craters. It is denser but from what I have read on the net, it is supposed to be.

      I did not divide the flour half half as suggested by b2b3m4 yet (though I did use the vit C), because I wanted to see how far I could push by using as much wholemeal flour as possible. The taste is really nutty and delicious. I love it. But I think that the texture may soften if I add more bread flour or use gluten flour instead as per mentioned.

      My next attempt, I will portion half and half and see how it goes. I must also look into the amount of the yeast.

      Here are the pix:

      http://postimage.org/image/9jf6l6qs/


      http://postimage.org/image/9jvpynok/
      Looks good and yummy. :celebrate:

      But you do not need to use warm water as it will make the dough rise quickly but no 'oven kick' during baking, (Energy finish liao πŸ˜„ )
      In bakery, they even use ice water to mix the dough. This is used to keep the dough temp to be low during kneading process

      I'm still looking the article about vit C. As I know vit C use in bread as preservative not to help fermentation and yeast need sugar as it's 'food' not vit C. :? I'll try to find more about this πŸ˜„

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • S Offline
        schweppes
        last edited by

        autumnbronze:
        Okie, this is my 3rd wholemeal loaf.

        :congrats: Autumnbronze, your wholemeal bread looks good and healthy. :ugogirl:

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • T Offline
          twinklejoy
          last edited by

          :congrats: autumnbronze!! your wholemeal bread looks yummy!

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • T Offline
            twinklejoy
            last edited by

            Happy Mama:
            My butter cake made using Z machine. It certainly doesn't look as good as it smells and tastes... and definitely different from the picture in the recipe. Could it be because of the flour I used? Or the size of the eggs? Or the reduced sugar? :? and why is the colour so dark. :?



            http://postimage.org/image/6uml8y90/

            http://postimage.org/image/6uo8saqs/
            :celebrate: on your virgin butter bread! looks good and yummy! just wondering...do you have to put in extra butter for the buttery taste? :?

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • P Offline
              peterch
              last edited by

              Hi,


              Just finish reading my baking science notes about vitamin C and I got these :

              Ascorbic acid (vitamin C)
              It has been extablished from many experiments that the addition of a small amount (up to 100ppm) of vitamin C also shortens the time needed for the dough to mature. This is because ascorbic acid catalyses the gluten crosslinking reactions to form a more extensible, elastic, strong network.

              And it serves as preservative.

              I didn't find anything about vit C gives a boost to fermentation :?

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • corneyAmberC Offline
                corneyAmber
                last edited by

                :congrats: autumnbronze, your loaf looks good! :celebrate:

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • corneyAmberC Offline
                  corneyAmber
                  last edited by

                  LKVM:
                  So pretty and still u say not so professionally done :shock:


                  It looks very yummy :drool: :drool:
                  :oops: :oops: but not my standard! πŸ˜›

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • corneyAmberC Offline
                    corneyAmber
                    last edited by

                    LKVM:
                    Then ur standards really too high :udawoman:

                    πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • corneyAmberC Offline
                      corneyAmber
                      last edited by

                      My goodness, LKVM! If you didn't tell me that was your virgin loaf, I would not have been any wiser! :congrats: Very nice bread for a virgin loaf! :celebrate:


                      My guess is that it is the S brand, vertical pan! πŸ™

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • qmsQ Offline
                        qms
                        last edited by

                        LKVM:
                        Ok, all my dear bread kakis... I have good news to share!!!!! I finally bought my bread machine.. will tell you the brand later.. let me keep it a secret for sometime... lets see if anyone can guess πŸ˜›

                        :congrats: :drool:

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 228
                        • 229
                        • 230
                        • 231
                        • 232
                        • 545
                        • 546
                        • 230 / 546
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        6

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy