Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    How do you control TV or computer time?

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Working With Your Child
    40 Posts 25 Posters 11.9k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • H Offline
      Haffilicious
      last edited by

      MummyThreeStreams:
      Best way is to not let them get into the habit in the first place. My kids are all under 6. We control TV and computer time by not getting them into the habit of watching TV or playing computers.


      When DS1 was about 2, I did get into the habit of letting him watch TV so that I could get things done around the house. But I realised later it was bad, because he would keep asking to watch. So I decided to nip it in the bud and entertain him in other ways. Now he doesn't ask to watch TV at all. DS2 will ask to watch Thomas or Bob the Builder once in awhile, but I just have to tell him that it's not showing and he accepts it.

      Having said that, they are all still young and relatively easy to control. I suppose it gets harder as they get older.
      I have the same experience. DD is 2 and am stay home mum.

      i sometimes still have to rely quite heavily on TV / DVD to babysit while I run other errands.... personally think it is ok since I let them watch shows which I handpick and know has educational value instead of cartoons....what are everyone's views and own experience on letting them watch educational programmes?

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • P Offline
        pumpkin_pie
        last edited by

        Haffilicious:
        MummyThreeStreams:

        Best way is to not let them get into the habit in the first place. My kids are all under 6. We control TV and computer time by not getting them into the habit of watching TV or playing computers.


        When DS1 was about 2, I did get into the habit of letting him watch TV so that I could get things done around the house. But I realised later it was bad, because he would keep asking to watch. So I decided to nip it in the bud and entertain him in other ways. Now he doesn't ask to watch TV at all. DS2 will ask to watch Thomas or Bob the Builder once in awhile, but I just have to tell him that it's not showing and he accepts it.

        Having said that, they are all still young and relatively easy to control. I suppose it gets harder as they get older.

        I have the same experience. DD is 2 and am stay home mum.

        i sometimes still have to rely quite heavily on TV / DVD to babysit while I run other errands.... personally think it is ok since I let them watch shows which I handpick and know has educational value instead of cartoons....what are everyone's views and own experience on letting them watch educational programmes?

        Haffilicious, just to share, when my DS was 1yo, I also had to rely on TV quite a bit. I was working part-time then and by the time I fetched him back fr CC it would alrdy be 4pm. Once reach home had to do all the chores and cooking, so he would watch TV for about an hr plus non-stop. He watched baby einstein and leapfrog VCDs. But once I became SAHM few mths before he turned 3, I decided to put a stop to this reliance on TV as I noticed DS started squinting his eyes very often. So I did a timetable for him, with no TV included inside. The stuff we would do can be anything from educational games, flash cards, worksheet games, tracing ... to taking a walk outside picking up leaves (his fav activity), bringing him for swim, playgrd etc. Everyday I would follow this timetable and of cos there are times I can't follow 100% but its ok, I just put a note what we did still. Everyday is very packed with activities, leaving me with no free time (the sad part, but very satisfying), except when he naps for 2-3hrs. Rarely he will ask for TV shows, but its only 1 show if necessary and I always make him promise it will only be 1 show, nothing more. After that it's back to timetable routine. He is so far very cooperative and doesnt complain. I guess its easier to start any changes when kid is young, cos u will see less resistance, and adaption period is also faster.

        The shows I let him watch are always VCDs which I feel are educational (but only if necessary)
        -Leapfrog (teaches reading/math) highly recommended, as he learned all his letter sounds mainly from here!
        -Mickey mouse (math)
        -Super Why (reading)
        -Sid the Science Kid (science)
        -Bubble Guppy (general knowlege)
        -Diego (animal knowledge)

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • M Offline
          MadScientist
          last edited by

          Ah… Another great topic of discussion…


          When I am around, things move better… Cos I make deals aout watching TV in advance. I find that telling the kids what is going to happen, or at least what the plans are… Then give them choices to make, and then cut a deal that is amicable and fair works.

          Of course, since mummy and particularly my SIL kids are uncontrolled, there are two sets of rules in the house since the kids are all together. The other side prevails in my absence as they create havoc for the caregivers, and are allowed to create havoc since young. There goes the discipline, out the window.

          During these testing times, if I am around, I take a slightly different approach… I think of group games and discussions, away from the TV. Even a short walk downstairs is good. It is very precious time with Daddy so they get to talk to me and me alone.
          This is not the ideal, but it is for now the best way I can think of…

          I wonder if anyone faces a similar situation and has another mechanism…

          Cheers!

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • C Offline
            Chenonceau
            last edited by

            We followed a 2 prong strategy.


            (1) We didn’t own a TV.
            (2) We provided books aplenty and lots of karung guni odds and ends.

            Now, we have a TV but no one switches it on because there seems to be lotsa other things to do. TV is an easy solution to boredom. If there IS NO TV in the house, kids and adults are forced to use their brains to find other distractions.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • B Offline
              BeContented
              last edited by

              Chenonceau:
              We followed a 2 prong strategy.


              (1) We didn't own a TV.
              (2) We provided books aplenty and lots of karung guni odds and ends.

              Now, we have a TV but no one switches it on because there seems to be lotsa other things to do. TV is an easy solution to boredom. If there IS NO TV in the house, kids and adults are forced to use their brains to find other distractions.
              WOW!!! No TV........you know, I have friends who are like walking programme guide, they can tell you which channel, what time, what show..... :yikes: :faint:
              But I do realized, TV is like an addiction. When my kids were young and I allowed cartoons, in fact, I liked them myself and even watched together with them :oops:
              However, it started increasing from 1 to 2 to many.....and eventually out of hand. Had a hard time controlling with all the pls, buts, just today etc.

              Finally, decided it's enough & gave them the cold turkey - follow strictly to eg. 1 cartoon/30mins TV a day. Similarly to computer time, only Fri - Sun. Once the rules are established and followed, subsequently not much issue anymore.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • S Offline
                satyagraha
                last edited by

                :hi5: To parents who limit (if not complete elimination) \"box entertainment\" to young kids.


                TV at our home is switched on only when we have guests... for tv prog / DVD / Wii. That only happened during festive seasons. No problem for me since I'm not a tv person. At this point of time, my kids (4 & 6) do not ask for tv. When they are done with what they need to do, they create play by themselves.

                I reckon that as my kids grow, they'll appreciate \"box entertainment\" (you know, peer pressure / external exposure), and maybe even LOVES it so much that it may create problem.

                But that's the future, which is an unknown. Nature will take its course... ... but I don't want to be the one paving towards that route. 😉

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • S Offline
                  snowman.022851697
                  last edited by

                  For me I believe the child will grow out of it. When I was you g I was practically glued to the tv. Now I’m 13 and haven’t touched a remote for 2 months. But of course, it’s the Facebook revolution now… Sooner or later, tv will be a thing of the past.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • jedamumJ Offline
                    jedamum
                    last edited by

                    satyagraha:
                    :hi5: To parents who limit (if not complete elimination) \"box entertainment\" to young kids.


                    TV at our home is switched on only when we have guests... for tv prog / DVD / Wii. That only happened during festive seasons. No problem for me since I'm not a tv person. At this point of time, my kids (4 & 6) do not ask for tv. When they are done with what they need to do, they create play by themselves.

                    I reckon that as my kids grow, they'll appreciate \"box entertainment\" (you know, peer pressure / external exposure), and maybe even LOVES it so much that it may create problem.

                    But that's the future, which is an unknown. Nature will take its course... ... but I don't want to be the one paving towards that route. 😉
                    So long you don't have dvd player, wii, and does not subscribe to cable tv, basically, there isn't anything much for the kids to watch anyway! :siam:

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • S Offline
                      sall
                      last edited by

                      I think all kids should watch the news every day, both Chinese and English. When they go to sec sch, they don’t even have time to watch the news.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • jedamumJ Offline
                        jedamum
                        last edited by

                        sall:
                        I think all kids should watch the news every day, both Chinese and English. When they go to sec sch, they don't even have time to watch the news.

                        which channel and which time slot is good?
                        my boy's bedtime is 9pm.... :snooze:

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 3
                        • 4
                        • 4 / 4
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        thebottomsupblogT
                        thebottomsupblog

                        Statistics

                        6

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy