All About Delayed Speech
-
dun don’t discharge.
just put down the open ended date 1 year later … come back to check again.
if discharge next time go back polyclinic again, just to get refer letter again, troublesome. -
mashy:
I think somehow pp are spreading this rumor of long queues at kkh therapy. It's not that long. U just get the referral from polyclinic to see the dr who will then refer u to speech therapist. It is the hassle of moving around but the wait is not 6 mths long. And u don't have to go back to polyclinic to get referral again. My son has been going thru speech therapy for more than a year already. For some specific areas, we had intensive weekly sessions to deal with the prob. Didn't have to wait that long. His OT is monthly sessions.
I would think it would depend on situation. Coz my cousin's waiting time was indeed 6 months just to get the KKH first appointment. Likewise she also gets the referral letter from poly. That was in January this year that she finally have an appt at KKH. Perhaps you were indeed lucky. It was not hear-say, this waiting time was indeed a problem for SGP as it was reported in the Straits Times that SGP is lacking in this specialist group. Perhaps it should have been rectified by now. -
phtthp:
Correct to get the open letter date. That was in my case for my DS's asthma follow up. We rejected the request from the doc to close the case.dun don't discharge.
just put down the open ended date 1 year later .... come back to check again.
if discharge next time go back polyclinic again, just to get refer letter again, troublesome. -
Councillor
He's 5 this yr. He's with kkh. Started off was coz we couldn't understand what he was saying. He had articulation probs and can't pronounce the first letters s, t, d, f etc. Now he has improved but kept on for stuttering issues. He's also there for handwriting OT. We didn't wait very long. Guess coz we started off at OT. Then OT wrote to dr to refer him for ST too. After that it was also smooth going. OT once a month, ST can be as freq as every week. Sometimes we are put on wait list but can usually get an appt. I think it also depends on which therapist. Some therapist has a longer wait list. We have seen most of the therapists in kkh. Will usually follow the same therapist throughout but some therapists have their own specialty.
I also thought the child dev centre will be a long wait. But after I told the kkh dr I wanna get referral to see child dev, I got an appt within the month. If I'm lucky, I must be lucky to get so many appts quickly. The unlucky thing is my pocket and my ds with loads of issues to resolve.
-
mashy:
mashy,Councillor
He's 5 this yr. He's with kkh. Started off was coz we couldn't understand what he was saying. He had articulation probs and can't pronounce the first letters s, t, d, f etc. Now he has improved but kept on for stuttering issues. He's also there for handwriting OT. We didn't wait very long. Guess coz we started off at OT. Then OT wrote to dr to refer him for ST too. After that it was also smooth going. OT once a month, ST can be as freq as every week. Sometimes we are put on wait list but can usually get an appt. I think it also depends on which therapist. Some therapist has a longer wait list. We have seen most of the therapists in kkh. Will usually follow the same therapist throughout but some therapists have their own specialty.
I also thought the child dev centre will be a long wait. But after I told the kkh dr I wanna get referral to see child dev, I got an appt within the month. If I'm lucky, I must be lucky to get so many appts quickly. The unlucky thing is my pocket and my ds with loads of issues to resolve.
hm..i think you may be right in saying that some therapist has a longer wait list. my boy's appointment was 3 mths interval. we were not sure if it was because he was not considered severe for his age (3yo, he could read text/sentences, but could not converse/hold conversations ie monologue replies) or that the therapist had other more pressing cases. our sessions were normally not so focused on the kid, but the therapist did some assessment, and when my boy borderline failed or passed, she gave me tips on the stuff to do at home.
yes. without subsidies, the $$ can fly out very fast. -
Wow! 3 mths is a long time! Mine always ask for at most one month apart. In fact when they want weekly, I’m quite reluctant.
-
shirley_low67:
KKH also said that my son is not autistic but just slow from age 2yo, at 4.5yo, we urged the doc in KKH to get him assessed and he was diagnosed as mildly autistic..I was so disappointed with KKH, quite a bit of time wasted for not able to start his early intervention at 2yo. I shld hv seek a 2nd opinion from another private doc back then.Hi all
I am very new here. My son is going 3 years old next month. Both DH and myself are very concerned about his speech. At this age, he is unable to speak in sentence. He can merely say words like \"mummy, daddy, porpor, gonggong, chercher, gorgor, ah yee, teacher\", some fruits like \"apple, banana, grapes, pear\", other things like \"bag, comb, tree, car, boy, girl, duck\"
He does try to speak double or triple syllabus like \"strawberry, elephant\" but the pronounciation wasn't there.
At the same time, he also throws tantrums. I brought him to KK to review his development issues as I am really worried that he might be autistic.
The KK doc assured me that he is not autistic, just slow in speech as in his early years he is taken care by maid and mil who doesn't speak much to him. We have an appointment in September in Ministry of Health to train us (parents) how to teach kids with speech problem.
He is now in full day child care since Jan this year. Although teacher said that he is picking up words now, I am still very worried that he will be lag behind and he lose confidence when he is with his peers where others could speak well and he could not.
I have been looking around for enrichment courses. I am not sure whether courses in \"I can read\", L central or Morris Allen as these courses seems to be meant for kids that can speak.
Can mummies here be kind enough to suggest what kind of enrichment course will benefit him? I am staying in Punggol. I am also quite careful with the type of course as it didn't come cheap.
Thanks! -
i read from young parents magazine enrichment list, got some centres cater to autistic or adhd or learning disability kids.
when my son cant pronounce many sounds at 2+, i got him assessed by THREE therapists: first at mt alvernia, she said just short tongue. since they cant gv a regular timing, i got a 2nd opinion at leapfrog (pte), the therapist michelle was v good, diagnosed him as speech delay and he did very well after 9 mths therapy. but sometime during this session i went kkh to just get 3rd opinion cos kkh cheaper mah. but i found their diagnosis no good - they just say mild problem but actually more serious than that. so i nvr go kkh for treatment. i stuck to Leapfrog… -
24hr-mum:
Totally agree tt KKH diagnosis is no gd. They seem to cater more to the more serious cases. Less serious case (but actually serious enough to warrant therapy, otherwise kid can't survive in school)they will just dismiss as lack of exposure or behavioral problem, and ask you to talk more to kid or use behavioral strategies that don't solve the root of the problem. Appts given if any are far apart too. In my view, they are just a waste of time. My girl who has mild sensory issues, and problem sitting on chair ( she likes to kneel on chair or walk around instead of sitting on chair), the Occupatinal Therapist at KKH dismissed it as behavioral problem. She did some test and even told me that girl's fine motor skill is good. But I didn't believe her and went to Dynamics for 2nd opinion. The OT there said her fine motor skill although within normal range is at low level and gave me strategies to improve her sitting and sensory and fine motor problems.i read from young parents magazine enrichment list, got some centres cater to autistic or adhd or learning disability kids.
when my son cant pronounce many sounds at 2+, i got him assessed by THREE therapists: first at mt alvernia, she said just short tongue. since they cant gv a regular timing, i got a 2nd opinion at leapfrog (pte), the therapist michelle was v good, diagnosed him as speech delay and he did very well after 9 mths therapy. but sometime during this session i went kkh to just get 3rd opinion cos kkh cheaper mah. but i found their diagnosis no good - they just say mild problem but actually more serious than that. so i nvr go kkh for treatment. i stuck to Leapfrog..
As a parent , we have to trust our instinct and challenge diagnosis given by professionals ESP if they come from subsidized method and the diagnosis given doesn't square with our observations about the child in daily life. -
Forgot to mention that my girl can’t trace on dotted line. More than 50% of the time her line will go out. She can’t use scissors to cut too.
From this KKH incident, I learn this: cheap
Thing comes at the expense of quality or time.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login