Music Elective Programme (MEP)
-
Maybe you could call the school and ask.
-
pokemon:
Depends on your boy I think. Mine takes his own sweet time. 1 yr for 1 grade.
Also, for gr6-8 abrsm syllabus, does it tk longer than the lower grades to complete? eg gr 1-4, each grade my ds took about 6-7mths to complete, for gr6 and abv will he req about 1 yr to complete? -
Thought it being mentioned in MOE website that opting for MEP will be exempted from home econ and D & T. Haiz…
-
pokemon:
The grades 6-8 are more difficult. Should cover the entire syllabus even if not taking the individual exams. My boy did his grade 6 theory exam after leraning it for around 6mths. Then went on to grade 7 and now grade 8. He'll be doing that at the next exam. So I do suppose it takes around 6mths for each grade?
For your boy, did he tk gr 5 and then directly to gr8 theory? My boy intend to skip gr6, then tk gr7 and 8. Do you think gr7 and 8 are kind of repeitive that i can skip gr7 comfortably?
Also, for gr6-8 abrsm syllabus, does it tk longer than the lower grades to complete? eg gr 1-4, each grade my ds took about 6-7mths to complete, for gr6 and abv will he req about 1 yr to complete? -
pokemon:
Thought it being mentioned in MOE website that opting for MEP will be exempted from home econ and D & T. Haiz...
My son is in MEP class Sec 1 this year in CHS, altho' not doing MEP. That's why I know the information for this year. Well, well ... who knows if it will change next year?
If you want to know more details, ask the Teacher-in-Charge.
<[email protected]>
That is her email from the school website. For your information, the school website on MEP is not updated(!!!!).
I do have a boy in NJC MEP. NJC is not a MOE MEP centre, so not governed by MOE. But they do follow the guidelines of the programme. But I find it way more interesting than that in CHS lah. More performing opportunities, more chances to work together in Ensembles between the whole MEP students from Year 1 to Year 6 - can do ensembles together whether or not in the same year. So it is quite fun. -
Hi phankao,
Can you please share how competitive and tough is it to get into the MEP at CHS? Do they have to go through very tough audition and what is the success rate (how many applied and how many was rejected)? If it is not too much to ask, may I know what’s your son’s grade and instrument? Thanks.
Peachbubble -
peachbubble:
As long as you've met minimum requirements , should not be difficult to get in. I'm not sure about entry test/ audition , bc I've not heard from anyone who had to go through that ? Only about 20 MEP students in the sec 1 year. I don't know if anyone applied and rejected . My CHS son did apply and got in but he's not doing MEP in the end lah. He had completed grade 8 by then.Hi phankao,
Can you please share how competitive and tough is it to get into the MEP at CHS? Do they have to go through very tough audition and what is the success rate (how many applied and how many was rejected)? If it is not too much to ask, may I know what's your son's grade and instrument? Thanks.
Peachbubble -
peachbubble:
As long as you've met minimum requirements , should not be difficult to get in. I'm not sure about entry test/ audition , bc I've not heard from anyone who had to go through that ? Only about 20 MEP students in the sec 1 year. I don't know if anyone applied and rejected . My CHS son did apply and got in but he's not doing MEP in the end lah. He had completed grade 8 by then.Hi phankao,
Can you please share how competitive and tough is it to get into the MEP at CHS? Do they have to go through very tough audition and what is the success rate (how many applied and how many was rejected)? If it is not too much to ask, may I know what's your son's grade and instrument? Thanks.
Peachbubble -
My daughter is doing her PSLE this year. She's now down to the last 2 papers.
Looking forward, I'm wondering if MEP should be an option for her. It sounds great to drop one humaties subject and replace it with music.
My daughter and I wish for her to continue her music lessons. She has completed Grade 8 for both Violin and Cello. My concern is will she receive proper music lessons or should she continue with lessons outside ? With the students grades ranging so much from Gd 3 to Gd 8, how do they conduct lessons ?
It feels really strange to move onto this next level of education. So many things I don't know. -
phankao:
Thanks phankao, your info is v helpful.pokemon:
Thought it being mentioned in MOE website that opting for MEP will be exempted from home econ and D & T. Haiz...
My son is in MEP class Sec 1 this year in CHS, altho' not doing MEP. That's why I know the information for this year. Well, well ... who knows if it will change next year?
If you want to know more details, ask the Teacher-in-Charge.
<[email protected]>
That is her email from the school website. For your information, the school website on MEP is not updated(!!!!).
I do have a boy in NJC MEP. NJC is not a MOE MEP centre, so not governed by MOE. But they do follow the guidelines of the programme. But I find it way more interesting than that in CHS lah. More performing opportunities, more chances to work together in Ensembles between the whole MEP students from Year 1 to Year 6 - can do ensembles together whether or not in the same year. So it is quite fun.
So does njc allow the mep kids to opt out home econ and D & T? Bt njc kinda of q hard to get in leh...whats their psle cutoff points for admission?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login