Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Digital Camera advice needed

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Technology & Gadgets
    19 Posts 12 Posters 9.7k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • S Offline
      sashimi
      last edited by

      I’m looking to buy a new digicam, preferably around $300, max I will go is $400. My main aims are:


      1) To take pictures of my DD, who on many an occasion cannot stand still.
      2) To take pictures of my DD with me.
      3) To try to take pictures of my DW with DD.
      4) To take pictures on holiday.
      5) To take pictures of my model kits (i.e. need some macro).

      I.e… need a good family-oriented camera, I guess. I’ve read all sorts of things about face detection, smile detection, face make-up etc. I’m not sure if these are genuinely useful or just marketing gimmicks.

      Anyway, can anyone recommend? Thanks!

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • D Offline
        daisyt
        last edited by

        hi sashimi, you can try to read more in this forum. http://www.clubsnap.com/


        Basically nowadays, most instant camera are more or less the same. If you are taking photos of young children in action, to capture their special moment, eg. a funny face they suddenly make, instant camera might not be fast enough. Other than that, most instant cameras should able to perform your needs. For macro, depends on how close up you are taking.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • S Offline
          s00s_dad
          last edited by

          You want to check out http://www.dpreview.com

          So far I have been reading their review and found them quite good.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • S Offline
            sashimi
            last edited by

            Thanks, you two - but, I'm more than aware of websites and forums with reviews, etc. The problem is that there are too many of them, and many are too full of information to be useful. Info overload. That's the problem with these gadget expert websites, they are too informative, detailing every little thing, 80% of which I have no time to read, 50% of which I don't understand or care for...


            So to cut a long story short, I need a personalized recommendation for a camera model (or two). : ) That's why I specifically posted here, hoping to find a fellow parent who can share a recommendation based on his/her personal use of a camera for family purposes. 🙂

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • S Offline
              s00s_dad
              last edited by

              Personally I still prefer Canon. Currently I am using my old IXUS 800IS and I am quite happy with the photo quality.

              Recently my colleague had bought the IXUS 95IS and I find the picture are quite sharp too. It cost about $300+. You may consider it.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • S Offline
                super_dad
                last edited by

                check out the Lumix range. They are quite popular and are easy to use. However, may be a bit out of the price range.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • N Offline
                  nightsky87
                  last edited by

                  Panasonic Lumix FX series. One of the better PnS cameras out there. I think that price range should be able to get the FX36, of which the more important and relevant features include


                  Panasonic Intelligent Auto, IA (anti shake),
                  25mm wide lens (great for party/group shots)
                  HD video recording 16:9 720p (woohoo!)

                  😎

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • H Offline
                    hquek
                    last edited by

                    Hi Sashimi,


                    I would recommend Panasonic TZ series. it’s a bit bulky, but has very good optical zoom and it is wide range (more things in the picture).

                    I’m using TZ3, happy with it but of course will take the next chance to upgrade to the later models.

                    Long winded details below. Have fun with your purchase!

                    ---------------------------------------
                    The following are very important to me to consider (in the order provided):
                    1. Price
                    2. Bulkiness
                    3. Zoom (look for optical zoom, digital no use)
                    4. Anti shake (my hands always tremble)
                    5. Low light
                    6. Video zooming (some don’t allow you to zoom when you are recording video, quite sian when recording child’s actions/performances).

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • S Offline
                      sashimi
                      last edited by

                      Hey thanks a lot everyone - I already bought the camera. 🙂


                      Panasonic is always high on my list as it is a brand I have absolute trust in, but most of the models that fit my needs were way over my budget. Including the LXes, the FX38 (which is now obsolete I guess, after the other day's big advert for the FX48).

                      If I found a Panasonic (was also considering Canon) that was within budget, its functions would pale in comparison to the camera I finally bought.

                      (Incidently as a busy family man I'm not at all into running around looking for the best deals, I really hate doing that these days.)

                      So anyway, I settled for the Casio Exilim Z300 - it was $399 at Harvey Norman, had a lot of features dedicated to capturing family pics and moving kids, for touristy needs and was essentially a point-and-shoot too. 28mm wide angle, 4x optical zoom, etc. - really great set of features for <400.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • N Offline
                        nightsky87
                        last edited by

                        congrats on your new purchase! I think at the end of the day, what counts is the timeless moments captured in the camera that's important. Black cat white cat, can catch mice is a good cat, no? :lol:

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 1 / 2
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        Wonder-fulW
                        Wonder-ful

                        Statistics

                        8

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy