Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    GEP Preparatory Program

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved GEP
    229 Posts 61 Posters 216.5k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • J Offline
      janeng
      last edited by

      Hi, I'm a reporter from Straits Times and I'm doing a story on parents who send their kids for tuition to get into GEP. I'm looking for parents who do that to find out why they do that and why they think it's useful. Can pls email me at [email protected] if you don't mind sharing your story. Thanks.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • B Offline
        buds
        last edited by

        FQW:
        I know that GEP parents are serious folks, but I will risk sharing a joke here. Samuel came back from the GEP selection test but did not qualify. His dad was furious.


        Dad: Son, GEP outcome today, how did it go? I already told my colleagues last year we're shifting to Bukit Timah cos you're going to enrol in Nanyang.

        Samuel (almost quivering): Erm dad, I didn't qualify.

        Dad (bursting a vein): What? You didn't? Why you so stupid? After all the money I've spent sending you to the preparation courses.

        Samuel (very down now): Dad, I'm sorry I'm not gifted. But I think the reason for that is because I'm your son.

        Muahahaha! :rotflmao:
        I hope I won't have to recycle this joke on u next year, bro! 🦆

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • NebbermindN Offline
          Nebbermind
          last edited by

          buds:


          I hope I won't have to recycle this joke on u next year, bro! 🦆
          WAH! FQW must be very the stressed liao!! 😉

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • V Offline
            verykiasu2010
            last edited by

            buds:
            FQW:

            I know that GEP parents are serious folks, but I will risk sharing a joke here. Samuel came back from the GEP selection test but did not qualify. His dad was furious.


            Dad: Son, GEP outcome today, how did it go? I already told my colleagues last year we're shifting to Bukit Timah cos you're going to enrol in Nanyang.

            Samuel (almost quivering): Erm dad, I didn't qualify.

            Dad (bursting a vein): What? You didn't? Why you so stupid? After all the money I've spent sending you to the preparation courses.

            Samuel (very down now): Dad, I'm sorry I'm not gifted. But I think the reason for that is because I'm your son.

            Muahahaha! :rotflmao:

            I hope I won't have to recycle this joke on u next year, bro! 🦆

            bud but please recycle the joke every year at the right season please

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • B Offline
              buds
              last edited by

              Yah. This year the \"season\" coming soon... :evil:


              Screening and selections in August.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • C Offline
                CH2
                last edited by

                In my own opinion, I don’t think these programs are bad for the kids. These program is going to run some of the maths Olympiad questions, which can be quite interesting.


                But I don’t know the effectiveness. To me it is just another way for the tutors to cash in.

                If the kid gets selected after going through the preparatory program, then does that mean they will suffer in GEP classes? No really, I feel the GEP program requires the student to have discipline and maturity. Smart or not is not the issue.

                In fact, on the GEP briefing day the kids will be asked to sign a commitment letter that says that they will be discipline and diligent in their work.

                Cheers

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • phtthpP Offline
                  phtthp
                  last edited by

                  read


                  http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=38592

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • M Offline
                    Mychildren
                    last edited by

                    CH2:
                    In my own opinion, I don't think these programs are bad for the kids. These program is going to run some of the maths Olympiad questions, which can be quite interesting.


                    But I don't know the effectiveness. To me it is just another way for the tutors to cash in.

                    If the kid gets selected after going through the preparatory program, then does that mean they will suffer in GEP classes? No really, I feel the GEP program requires the student to have discipline and maturity. Smart or not is not the issue.

                    In fact, on the GEP briefing day the kids will be asked to sign a commitment letter that says that they will be discipline and diligent in their work.

                    Cheers

                    You don't need to be in GEP for Maths Olympiad Program lah!

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • FunzF Offline
                      Funz
                      last edited by

                      Was signing the form for the GEP screening test thing and DD was with me. She saw me ticking the ‘yes’ box and went ‘Huh. Dun want lah mummy.’ Asked her why, just go lah, no harm what. She asked me, need to prepare not? Told her no need, just go take the test, like the UNSW. To that she say ‘Orrhhh… ok. Like that I take. But if need to prepare and practise I dun want. And whatever the results, you oso ok one right?’ Asked her if her friends actually do prepare for the test. She said yah, and it is scary the amount of work they do. Everyday, this or that class. One even made a comment asking DD to kill her cos she very stressed. Told her ok, no worries, I have no intention of making her ask her friends to kill her. But I am worried about that friend of hers.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • H Offline
                        HVR
                        last edited by

                        Funz:
                        Was signing the form for the GEP screening test thing and DD was with me. She saw me ticking the 'yes' box and went 'Huh. Dun want lah mummy.' Asked her why, just go lah, no harm what. She asked me, need to prepare not? Told her no need, just go take the test, like the UNSW. To that she say 'Orrhhh.. ok. Like that I take. But if need to prepare and practise I dun want. And whatever the results, you oso ok one right?' Asked her if her friends actually do prepare for the test. She said yah, and it is scary the amount of work they do. Everyday, this or that class. One even made a comment asking DD to kill her cos she very stressed. Told her ok, no worries, I have no intention of making her ask her friends to kill her. But I am worried about that friend of hers.

                        Why want to stress the child till such extend? From what I know these preparatory courses require the children to pass their 'entrance' test and I take this to mean if you passed, you are more likely to get selected for GEP anyway. It is just like olylimpic heats, you eliminate the inferior performers first. So, why waste money. If our children don't have what it take, it will do more harm than good if they are hothoused into GEP.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 19
                        • 20
                        • 21
                        • 22
                        • 23
                        • 23 / 23
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        tzenoT
                        tzeno

                        Statistics

                        5

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy