2012 PSLE - final rundown
-
Chenonceau:
Exasperating? Definitely.
My DS' school? Nothing was given us. Not even class ranking. So exasperating right? They set so hard exams and didn't bother to crunch the data for parents. I give up. In another 2 months we will have left the school.
Any relevant info wld hv help parents to make final adjustments as deemed necessary. -
W2G, I catch no ball leh, your graph...
Can kindly elaborate... like the debate you did, those I understood perfect...
Please...
(Sorry, I am a PR, never schooled here myself...) -
Chenonceau:
Kueh Ambon! YUMMY!!!
Must use brain one hah? I suddenly feel the urge to wallop the kueh ambon in my fridge. Lightly microwaved till just warmed through... yum. -
Way2GO:
Way2go, I don't think this is way to go. DD's school did give their class ranking, only know the highest (as they are all in DD's class), but no lowest, no average as whole school cohort. How do we judge from 200+ schools all over Singapore?
Does d sch at least provide d students' average, lowest/highest raw scores for each subject?Lilo:
My DD school only know who is the top 3 in each class. Don't even know who is no. 1 for each class. The girls would than hv to check the aggregate to find out who is no.1, 2, 3. It is also not the pupils culture to find out who gets what grade and aggregate. Good and bad. Good thing is it is not a Kiasu school. Bad is, you don't know where DC stand in terms of the cohort and national standard.
It is not too difficult nor too time consuming to churn out d relevant mean, SD for each sch once they hv all d raw scores of its cohort.
Cld d lack of statistics be due to lack of manpower. lack of knowledge at school level or wat?
Since MOE is already using dis statistical package, they can provide same to d schools, no? -
kiasuursula:
Dragon year cohort is historically larger than other years.
I have called MOE couple of weeks ago, being advised that there are approx. 49k (sc & foreign talent) of people are taking PSLE this year. :?
I have checked with serveral sec. schools whether they are going to increase classes base on bigger cohart this year, they just said same as last year. :?
Feedback to MOE, the staff just said no worry. Definitely there will be space for my kid. :xedfingers:
By how much dis year? me don't know for certain.
MOE will hv d more accurate total number of candidates.
I based my guesstimate on previous trend n also 2010 intake of GEP cohort.
d size of d cohort is not a significant factor in T score calculation as compared to
d impact fr d strength (performance) of d cohort for each subject n d level of difficulty of each paper. -
Way2GO:
Statistics by subject is given but no one knows who are kids with aggregate score more than 250 unless the child goes round asking their friends. The Form Teachers (FT) will not share infor such as if your DC is within 1-40th or 30-50th of the whole cohort etc. I have been asking for this range/info since P1 but the FT will not reveal. Parents don't even know which is the best class coz the supposedly 2 stronger classes also have pupils who are not doing well. I suppose the school's message is \"every child is a good child in their own ways\"
Does d sch at least provide d students' average, lowest/highest raw scores for each subject?Lilo:
My DD school only know who is the top 3 in each class. Don't even know who is no. 1 for each class. The girls would than hv to check the aggregate to find out who is no.1, 2, 3. It is also not the pupils culture to find out who gets what grade and aggregate. Good and bad. Good thing is it is not a Kiasu school. Bad is, you don't know where DC stand in terms of the cohort and national standard.
It is not too difficult nor too time consuming to churn out d relevant mean, SD for each sch once they hv all d raw scores of its cohort.
Cld d lack of statistics be due to lack of manpower. lack of knowledge at school level or wat?
Since MOE is already using dis statistical package, they can provide same to d schools, no?
-
ruohoo97:
can u please elaborate ur point?
Way2go, I don't think this is way to go. DD's school did give their class ranking, only know the highest (as they are all in DD's class), but no lowest, no average as whole school cohort. How do we judge from 200+ schools all over Singapore?
me don't quite get it.
we will not hv info fr all primary schools,
nor will ever get complete info.
but we can work with as much info as we can share here. -
mamago:
d graph plots d percentage of candidates who achieved A* - C grades (y axis) against each year from 2001 to 2010 (x -axis).W2G, I catch no ball leh, your graph...
Can kindly elaborate... like the debate you did, those I understood perfect...
Please...
(Sorry, I am a PR, never schooled here myself...)
It simply tells u d trend is quite steady.
Still need elaboration huh? -
Way2GO:
Sorry not make myself clear. What I was trying to say is most of schools do not give such info for various reasons. So it seems to me no point to do this kind of guessing work.
can u please elaborate ur point?ruohoo97:
Way2go, I don't think this is way to go. DD's school did give their class ranking, only know the highest (as they are all in DD's class), but no lowest, no average as whole school cohort. How do we judge from 200+ schools all over Singapore?
me don't quite get it.
we will not hv info fr all primary schools,
nor will ever get complete info.
but we can work with as much info as we can share here. -
ruohoo97:
Sorry not make myself clear. What I was trying to say is most of schools do not give such info for various reasons. So it seems to me no point to do this kind of guessing work.[/quote]ruohoo97, Just asking , dont :pokeeye: me, have you checked the school website?
can u please elaborate ur point?Way2GO:
[quote=\"ruohoo97\"]
Way2go, I don't think this is way to go. DD's school did give their class ranking, only know the highest (as they are all in DD's class), but no lowest, no average as whole school cohort. How do we judge from 200+ schools all over Singapore?
me don't quite get it.
we will not hv info fr all primary schools,
nor will ever get complete info.
but we can work with as much info as we can share here.
I ask because I that my DD's school did not give this info, later while browsing the school website for something else, I found it published there.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better š
Register Login