Nanyang Primary
-
mommyNg:
I find the allocation of teachers to this year P6 classes weird. From what I have gathered, it seems that most of the P6 classes this year are assigned teachers who did not teach the respective P5 classes last year (e.g., 3 out of 4 teachers are new to the students). This is strange, since for previous years, the practice has always been that most of the P5 teachers would follow the students to P6, and continue to be their P6 teachers. These teachers would have a better understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of their students and would be better able to teach and guide the students for the next 9 months toward the crucial exam, This would help to minimize disruptions due to adjustments to different teaching/learning styles within such a short timeframe. So I find it so strange to make such major changes, especially puzzling when the teachers got swopped out had been excellent teachers last year. I wonder could it be due to the new principal?
My child had all her teachers changed every year of GEP 4-6. Insufficient time for teachers to know each child, much less the strength and weaknesses. -
My son in another school also change teachers every level… seems like a common practice of having teachers specialising in specific level?
-
deleted
-
Hi,
For Chinese New Year’s Eve, is there usually early dismissal? Or still dismissed at 1.30pm?
Thanks -
How do the parents find about the fruit programme in the school?
-
Albon:
My son in another school also change teachers every level... seems like a common practice of having teachers specialising in specific level?
It depends.
I think it is better to have teachers specialising in a specific level.
Heard from my friend her child is taught by the same teacher from P4 to P6. But the teacher is not so good as she is not so specialised for P5 and P6 syllabus. -
my son just started P1 this year, seems very relaxed, not much homework, tests are fairly reasonable, lots of free time, nothing like what people been telling me about NYPS.
when does it start to get heavy going? -
:thankyou:
chongster:
That's good to hearmy son just started P1 this year, seems very relaxed, not much homework, tests are fairly reasonable, lots of free time, nothing like what people been telling me about NYPS.
when does it start to get heavy going?
The few major milestones that may have an impact are
P3: introduction to science, GEP screening
P4: streamed GEP /Meta/ HA classes, CCA/ school team
P5: higher workload to prep for psle
P6: psle
I said \"may\" because I sincerely believe it's as heavy as you want to make it. In any of the stages, you can be as relaxed or as kiasu as you want. I've seen both scenarios. -
Zappy:
Might want to take note P2 end of year assessment bcoz tho no \"exams\" , my child's school started segregation to HA/MA classes at P3 stage alr.:thankyou:
That's good to hearchongster:
my son just started P1 this year, seems very relaxed, not much homework, tests are fairly reasonable, lots of free time, nothing like what people been telling me about NYPS.
when does it start to get heavy going?
The few major milestones that may have an impact are
P3: introduction to science, GEP screening
P4: streamed GEP /Meta/ HA classes, CCA/ school team
P5: higher workload to prep for psle
P6: psle
I said \"may\" because I sincerely believe it's as heavy as you want to make it. In any of the stages, you can be as relaxed or as kiasu as you want. I've seen both scenarios.
P1 tho honeymoon year, must help kids to get used to & loved Mother Tongue. If foundation not good, they'll struggle. -
mommyNg:
I find the allocation of teachers to this year P6 classes weird. From what I have gathered, it seems that most of the P6 classes this year are assigned teachers who did not teach the respective P5 classes last year (e.g., 3 out of 4 teachers are new to the students). This is strange, since for previous years, the practice has always been that most of the P5 teachers would follow the students to P6, and continue to be their P6 teachers. These teachers would have a better understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of their students and would be better able to teach and guide the students for the next 9 months toward the crucial exam, This would help to minimize disruptions due to adjustments to different teaching/learning styles within such a short timeframe. So I find it so strange to make such major changes, especially puzzling when the teachers got swopped out had been excellent teachers last year. I wonder could it be due to the new principal?
Hmm ... I don't remember my elder girl having the experience of having P5 teachers following her class up to P6 a few years ago.
However, I was quite happy with the P6 teachers allocated as they seemed to have rich experience with PSLE.
Actually I don't like the idea of teachers following classes up 'because they would know the students better or bond better with students'. I don't need the teachers to know my kids better or bond with my kids. In fact, I do feel that this could backfire. I prefer my kids to be given a clean slate to start with a new teacher every year. What's a weakness to a teacher may not matter, or even strength, to another. My kid had a P4 teacher who bugged me every once or twice a week over some trivial matter that I can't even recall now. None of the teachers had ever called me about my kid but this teacher gave me quite a bit of stress that year. I was immensely relieved that things were back to normal after my kid went to P5!
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login