P1 Tution -- Necessary?
-
I only started sending my younger girls to chinese tuition from P4 onwards to pick up certain skillsets eg compo and compre skills that I can’t teach.
-
I only started sending my younger girls to chinese tuition from P4 onwards to pick up certain skillsets eg compo and compre skills that I can’t teach.
-
Imp75\" post_id=\"2002855\" time=\"1605593800\" user_id=\"2358:
P4?! So late. That’s why can only qualify for the R & H schools. If you have started at P1, they could be studying in Oxbridge by 16 :evil:
I only started sending my younger girls to chinese tuition from P4 onwards to pick up certain skillsets eg compo and compre skills that I can't teach. -
It depends on kids’ abilities and parents’ expectations. Tuition and enrichment are different. If kids have poor foundation in kindergartens and struggle with P1 work and parents cannot teach or no time to teach, then tuition is necessary to help kids cope. Whether he needs to continue till P6 will depend on how much can kid learn on his own.
Some parents expect kids to score 100% or near perfect score at all times. Then to these parents, must drill to perfection lah. -
opinion from (almost) the other end of the spectrum…imho… don’t need tuition at P1. It is not difficult for at least my child’s school. My thinking then was so long as the child did not display any issue in learning, they understand the language & can follow instructions… just let them be. they can learn from school. only step in when child tell me I need help in my homework etc…but must have lower expectation lor.
-
If you don’t expect all stars and praises in P1 or P2 or even P3, then no need tuition at all.
But if you expect amazing results in P3, and kids are slow learners, then it is also challenging to just do nothing and wait until P3 exam period to catch up. May be too stressful for kids.
In my neighbourhood, we knew some kids who just passed their all class tests since P1. Parents did not do anything until P3 exams. In the end, still failed P3 or borderline passes, though parents sent to tuition for all subjects in Feb of P3. -
Depends on circumstances?
I sent my DS for tuition in P1 as we had just returned from Australia and I was afraid what he did in kindergarten over there was insufficient for him to cope with the rigors of sg curriculum.
Continued till P3. We stopped in P4 when I saw that he was coping ok (but never top in school or class 😆). But I had to admit I was quite afraid after he stopped the tuition as I hear there’s a big jump from lower to upper primary . Will know the if we made the correct decision next week 🤪 -
MrsKiasu\" post_id=\"2002869\" time=\"1605598508\" user_id=\"43981:
I don’t see the need in tuition at P1. The (academic) demands at P1 is, frankly, relatively low - at least in my kid’s school. Unless the child needs help because of learning disabilities, parents should just relax and let them try. They probably won’t get everything right, but mistakes and (controlled) failures are part of the learning process.
opinion from (almost) the other end of the spectrum..imho.. don't need tuition at P1. It is not difficult for at least my child's school. My thinking then was so long as the child did not display any issue in learning, they understand the language & can follow instructions.. just let them be. they can learn from school. only step in when child tell me I need help in my homework etc..but must have lower expectation lor.
Also, there isn’t a need to set a “lower expectation”. One can continue to have a high expectation but it must be the “right expectation”. There’s nothing wrong in expecting work to be done on time, to be done nearly and appropriately, to be prepared for lessons (ie making sure the bag is packed, learning materials are brought along), etc. -
Not necessarily for p1 as most parents should be able coach. School will have supplementary class for kids who are weak in reading. For English it is good enough to encourage kids to read widely and build good foundation on grammar. For maths, tropical assessment book, just ensure the kids grasp the basic concept well including problem sum. For chinese, ensure the kids diligently revise the word and read textbook passage several time to gain fluency. You can probably save the bullet first and decide if tuition necessarily as they progress to upper primary where question are getting more complex and answering technique/strategy needs to be polished.
-
manorway\" post_id=\"2002872\" time=\"1605599031\" user_id=\"9303:
👍 Yes, I'd agree that it's a mix of student's ability+ motivation, parents' expectations...
If you don't expect all stars and praises in P1 or P2 or even P3, then no need tuition at all.
But if you expect amazing results in P3, and kids are slow learners, then it is also challenging to just do nothing and wait until P3 exam period to catch up. May be too stressful for kids.
In my neighbourhood, we knew some kids who just passed their all class tests since P1. Parents did not do anything until P3 exams. In the end, still failed P3 or borderline passes, though parents sent to tuition for all subjects in Feb of P3.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login