Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    2013 Sec 1 Discussions

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Secondary Schools - Academic Support
    817 Posts 96 Posters 464.0k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • F Offline
      fifiyeo
      last edited by

      mummy so kiasu:
      janet_lee88:

      Kids in afternoon session have a very tight schedule...after reaching home (provided stay near), it is close to 7pm, take a shower and then have dinner...this is faster bcos it is not possible to bathe right after dinner.

      It is close to 745pm and after 5 min rest, start to get homework done. Poor child will be a zombie by about 830...more tired if there is PE.

      Get 'heavy duty' work done in the morning...stuff like compo, math hw, learning spelling for eg. 习字 can finish at night.

      Son in sec 1 sleeps at about 11pm...after getting written work done, he has to revise.
      Mornings wake up at 6am...breakfast and then wash up...leave the house at 630am.

      My girl will not settle down & do her work after 5 min of rest. She will chit chat with ko ko or daddy, endless stories to tell. She also get distracted easily, finding out what others are doing. Not forgetting she is a slow worker.

      School bus picks her up at 11.45am in the morning & she needs to take her lunch at 10.30am. Writing compo will take 2 hours. How to do it in the morning? Will end up missing the school bus.

      Unless you put her to bed as early as possible and wake her up early so that she can have enough time to do the work before lunch at 10.30am. But this will be tough. Lots of discipline and the person facilitating it must be very on. Not easy.

      Rest for my kids is really no.1 issue on the list and I really have to push very hard to meet bed time. To the extend of :stompfeet: :rant: at the kids and sitting in the room with them till they sleep. This is to ensure complete silence otherwise the brothers will start to talk. 10-15mins of total silence and they KO.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • F Offline
        fifiyeo
        last edited by

        janet_lee88:
        Mornings I had to sit beside him to else he will day dream...cannot even answer a phone call as he would run off to play. When I leave the room, he will follow me.

        Hahaha, oh that sounds like my sons. Yes, No one is suppose to call me when DSs are not in school!

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • sharonkhooS Offline
          sharonkhoo
          last edited by

          mummy so kiasu:
          slmkhoo:

          [quote=\"mummy so kiasu\"]School bus picks her up at 11.45am in the morning & she needs to take her lunch at 10.30am. Writing compo will take 2 hours. How to do it in the morning? Will end up missing the school bus.


          My school bus used to pick me up at 11.20 am (long, long ago), and I remember having lunch at 10.30am. Maybe letting her leave work incomplete (and face the teacher's wrath) a couple of times will help her speed up?

          Ha..ha..Try it out already. Teacher called me to complain.[/quote]When that has happened to my daughter, I will tell the teacher what I am trying to achieve and ask her to continue to impose the normal penalties and be patient until the child learns the lesson. If you just increase the amount YOU do to help your daughter avoid the penalties, then your daughter is not likely to improve.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • janet88J Offline
            janet88
            last edited by

            fifiyeo:
            janet_lee88:

            Mornings I had to sit beside him to else he will day dream...cannot even answer a phone call as he would run off to play. When I leave the room, he will follow me.

            Hahaha, oh that sounds like my sons. Yes, No one is suppose to call me when DSs are not in school!

            My daughter was 3 then...luckily I had a maid and I was busy coaching son in his work...so I closed 2 eyes as long as there was light breakfast for him and lunch on the table at 1130am. Those 2 years of afternoon session was crazy...nobody can call between 8-1145am...when I walked to loo, he would stand outside or else sit there to day dream.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • B Offline
              BeContented
              last edited by

              Arhhhh Yes.

              I too remembered those days when kids were younger, slow motion, forever distracted, hyperactive & needed lots of monitoring & discipline. Plus mine is just a year apart, cannot really ask the elder to help also.

              I remembered tho i was the impatient type, I was trying to not be too harsh, telling myself they were still young.
              Hubby believed otherwise. Kids cannot be pampered, its ok to 吃一点苦. Must learn discipline & respect & there is a proper time for everything. Go soft on them & I'll be the one to suffer in the long run. Also they need to slowly take on responsibilities for their studies.
              Well, it was hard initially. :sad: To see them punished, forced to stay put & not run around when it's not time. Coming home sad/crying cos forget bring stuff or do homework & kena punished by teacher etc Quite heartache as a mommy. Tho I knew hubby was right, I couldn't help feeling a little angry to see the little ones cry. Just give in & all these crying can be avoided....I would think silently. But my hubby quite determined (fierce also lah 😉 )
              Fast forward 7-8 years, I am glad we persisted then & I did not veto my hubby over his 'harsher disciplinary methods'. Because they are trained to be auto-pilot, it took loads off me. I wouldn't say it's perfect, no problem at all as there is still some discipline required on & off. But I'm happy.
              If given a chance again, I'll go harsher :rotflmao: Well, maybe my kids will not dare to entrust their children to me next time :rotflmao:

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • sharonkhooS Offline
                sharonkhoo
                last edited by

                BeContented:
                If given a chance again, I'll go harsher :rotflmao: Well, maybe my kids will not dare to entrust their children to me next time :rotflmao:

                I've been pretty strict and stern too. My kids say that their friends are all scared of me! But since my kids also joke with me and chat with me, and their friends do come over sometimes, I guess we're doing OK. I've already said I'm not taking responsibility for grandkids, so I don't know if they would entrust me with them or not!

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • F Offline
                  fifiyeo
                  last edited by

                  BeContented:
                  Arhhhh Yes.

                  I too remembered those days when kids were younger, slow motion, forever distracted, hyperactive & needed lots of monitoring & discipline. Plus mine is just a year apart, cannot really ask the elder to help also.

                  I remembered tho i was the impatient type, I was trying to not be too harsh, telling myself they were still young.
                  Hubby believed otherwise. Kids cannot be pampered, its ok to 吃一点苦. Must learn discipline & respect & there is a proper time for everything. Go soft on them & I'll be the one to suffer in the long run. Also they need to slowly take on responsibilities for their studies.
                  Well, it was hard initially. :sad: To see them punished, forced to stay put & not run around when it's not time. Coming home sad/crying cos forget bring stuff or do homework & kena punished by teacher etc Quite heartache as a mommy. Tho I knew hubby was right, I couldn't help feeling a little angry to see the little ones cry. Just give in & all these crying can be avoided....I would think silently. But my hubby quite determined (fierce also lah 😉 )
                  Fast forward 7-8 years, I am glad we persisted then & I did not veto my hubby over his 'harsher disciplinary methods'. Because they are trained to be auto-pilot, it took loads off me. I wouldn't say it's perfect, no problem at all as there is still some discipline required on & off. But I'm happy.
                  If given a chance again, I'll go harsher :rotflmao: Well, maybe my kids will not dare to entrust their children to me next time :rotflmao:
                  Me and DH very hard hearted one, but DS no.1 surprisingly already 'book' mommy to teach and discipline his children next time. He said to go ahead and punish like with him if they can't behave. Aiyo, by then I old already where got any more gas left!! I told him to spare me and leave it to his wife.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • janet88J Offline
                    janet88
                    last edited by

                    Hubby is the easy-going one…but when he has to coach kids for Math and Science, he will. I am the discipline master (bad guy). Sometimes he does step in when I scold and I will glare at him. We had an agreement…when I punish, he cannot go to their rescue.


                    When son was in lower primary, I had to be very strict. I only went a little easier on my son this year…but with younger daughter, I am still as strict bcos she tends to be stubborn and harder to handle than gor gor.

                    Son does appreciate me for being strict with him…but when it comes to his children, I’d better hands off…or else sure have conflict with daughter in law.
                    Why be bad guy?

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • F Offline
                      fifiyeo
                      last edited by

                      Unless daughter in law is wonderland bimbo who is more than happy to dump the kids to us and go shopping everyday, it’s better to let parents manage their kids. Otherwise too many sets of rules to follow, not so ideal for the kids.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • janet88J Offline
                        janet88
                        last edited by

                        fifiyeo:
                        Unless daughter in law is wonderland bimbo who is more than happy to dump the kids to us and go shopping everyday, it's better to let parents manage their kids. Otherwise too many sets of rules to follow, not so ideal for the kids.

                        i don't want to be bad mil...but if daughter in law is a air head bimbo, i will be heartache to see grandkids with no proper guiding. if parents can manage, it's better to leave it to them. won't we be tired to have to parent our grandkids ?

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 69
                        • 70
                        • 71
                        • 72
                        • 73
                        • 81
                        • 82
                        • 71 / 82
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        WordWizardsW
                        WordWizards
                        qqtang0526Q
                        qqtang0526

                        Statistics

                        4

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy