Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Do your children do any housework?

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Working With Your Child
    38 Posts 23 Posters 12.1k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • C Offline
      clarabella
      last edited by

      Hello everyone


      Do your children do housework? If yes, what are the chores they do?
      I have been wondering about this for a while, ever since someone commented that my kids are doing too much housework and they have less time for work and play 😛
      I scratched my head and asked DH, who said, \"You want to do everything, is it?!\" No help there, so I went around asking friends, and to my amazement, most of their kids do not lift a finger to help out at home. Now, I do realise that many families have one or more domestic helpers, so there is no need for their kids to do anything. Nevertheless, are your children expected to do any chores?

      We do not have a domestic helper, so DH and I make a conscious decision that everyone has to help out.
      Here are the chores that my older kids (6yo and 4yo) do:
      - make their beds
      - sweep/vaccum their bedrooms
      - pack up when done with toys/books/art material etc
      - do their own laundry
      - fold and put away clean clothes
      - set the dining table before meals
      - clear the table after meals
      - clean up any general mess they make, e.g. spilled drinks etc
      - help to wash our cars and simple gardening, e.g. weeding
      The 2.5yo only manages to make his bed and tidy his room; we're working on the rest 😄 .

      Do these sound too much? I am starting to worry that I sound like Cinderella's wicked stepmother!

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • csbC Offline
        csb
        last edited by

        Hi, I think it's great that your kids are doing housework.


        I'm gradually giving my 6yo more chores. Currently, he only does the following:
        - fold and put away clean clothes
        - set the dining table before meals
        - clear the table after meals

        He does make his bed at times. He tends to forget 😞

        I'm curious, what exactly does your 6yo for \"do his/her own laundry\"?

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • W Offline
          watmekiasu
          last edited by

          I’m full of admiration for your kids. Helping out so much at such a young age. Unfortunately, mine does nothing except clean her own mess eg spillage and place her bowl, mug etc in ther sink after a meal.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • E Offline
            en107rn.01056yahoo.01056com.01056sg
            last edited by

            I thought I was the only odd one out. When I decided to not continue my maid’s contract and refuse to get a new one, DH said "nothing about my decision surprise him anymore".


            Yes, my children aged 10 and 8 are required to do their part in keeping our house clean. The chores that I delegate to them more or less the same as clarabella.

            - make their beds (never mind that they need to leave the house at 6.45am for school morning session)
            - sweep/vaccum their bedrooms
            - pack up when done with toys/books/art material etc
            - do their own laundry (only if they stain their clothing, they will need to hand wash to remove it)
            - fold and put away clean clothes (for inner wear they fold, the rest they need to hang it neatly in their respective cabinet)
            - set the dining table before meals
            - clear the table after meals plus washing their own plates, cutleries & glasses.
            - clean up any general mess they make, e.g. spilled drinks etc
            - help to wash our car
            - wash their school shoes & blanco them white

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • E Offline
              en107rn.01056yahoo.01056com.01056sg
              last edited by

              [quote]Do these sound too much? I am starting to worry that I sound like Cinderella's wicked stepmother![/quote]
              As normal, I'm always torn between two sides of an arguement. Like you, there's this tiny feeling that I'm taking advantage of my kids and too cheap to hire a maid. On the other side, I want my kids to feel the pinch and emphatize with those who need to struggle in their daily life.

              I told my children stories on how I was raised, my mother a \"sometime single parent\" as my father was posted overseas & how my mother who was working then requested us to do our part in the household.

              Anyway, in school, during one of the lesson, the teacher brought up this topic on how children can help their parents with housework. We had maid then. So when this question was posted by their teacher, my dd was at lost of what to reply/write. Ds, happily wrote, he helped the maid to peel the boiled egg, sweep the floor and carry the dry laundry. :lol:

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • S Offline
                Seekinghelp
                last edited by

                Omg, u guys are so gd at training yr kids. Frankly speaking, still have to wash the car...abit over loh....* No offense* 😄


                If I were to ask my nephew to do all those things, he will definitely complain! He is slow in completing his homework even he's free, he will only want to play. How to get him to do the chores automatically?

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • M Offline
                  mrswongtuition
                  last edited by

                  I have a maid but I’m also training my son to help out with chores.


                  He is turning 3 in Jan 2010 & so far he’s able to:
                  - Tidy his own bed (place pillows neatly)
                  - Pick up his toys & put them into his toy box
                  - Help to wipe up any mess
                  - Help bring the dog for a walk
                  - Help to wash toilet (his fave)
                  - Use feather duster to dust shelves

                  I grew up without needing to lift a finger at all. Even taking plain water was done by the maid. But my hb thinks it’s not good if my boy does not know how to do anything at all. So we are letting him learn & help out at home.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • B Offline
                    buds
                    last edited by

                    clarabella:
                    Do your children do housework?

                    A BIG YES, clarabella.
                    Like Michael Jackson sez..
                    You are not aloooonnne...
                    I am here with yoooouuu....

                    (Psst.. clarabella mebbe you asked around the wrong crowd? :idea:)
                    clarabella:
                    We do not have a domestic helper, so DH and I make a conscious decision that everyone has to help out.
                    :celebrate:

                    A house houses a family..
                    A family shares resonsibilities..
                    Responsibilities encourages independence
                    Hence, maketh a better man.. 😉

                    Here are the \"unseen benefits\" of the chores.

                    1.Make their beds
                    Teach them that a clean bed can
                    provide better sleep for a well
                    deserved rest... especially aft
                    a long day at school/work.


                    2.Sweep/vaccum their bedrooms
                    Know their own mess & the creepy
                    crawlies it can bring without good
                    housekeeping of their own nook.
                    When they get tired of clearing a
                    lot of mess, they make less mess.
                    😉 Cos they're the ones who
                    still get to clean it up all over agn.


                    3.Pack up when done with toys/books/art material etc
                    Defintely! *Hi-5!*
                    Or else... simple. Don't do any fun
                    stuff lor. This should be basic rule.


                    4.So their own laundry... :idea:

                    >Fold and put away clean clothes
                    Fantastic activity to develop fine motor skills!
                    Especially if you get mummy like me who is
                    particular about it being all same size... all
                    smoothened... flattened... inside out... :evil:


                    >Put away soiled/worn clothes into the
                    laundry basket after shower.


                    Practice good hygiene and
                    clutter in the house. Akin to throwing
                    rubbish.. Dirty stuff all put in one place
                    or else the whole house will be...
                    :fainted:

                    5.Meal Times

                    >Set the dining table before meals
                    >This is their favourite!

                    >Clear the table after meals
                    >Mine does washing of dishes on and off
                    >Spray table and wipe clean any grease


                    >Clean up any general mess they make...
                    e.g. spilled drinks etc

                    >Yes! Clean up own act mah.. :lol: But i chip
                    in to watch and help here and there if needed.


                    Now, quite automatic so much so that when we're out
                    at people's homes ie. friends, relatives, gramma's... (etc)
                    people become paiseh they help to clean... they say
                    aiyah, it's okay you're guests so pls don't do... don't..
                    reali no need... it's ok.. :oops:
                    clarabella:
                    Do these sound too much? I am starting to worry that I sound like Cinderella's wicked stepmother!
                    NO, you're not. :hugs:

                    Seriously not. :love:

                    During my kampung days i had to rake leaves to the central tree spot!
                    Do you know how these dried leave just snow on the ground everyday!
                    But i never complained. I thought it was a fun chore. 😉

                    Imagine boys growing up going to NS not knowing how to make their
                    own beds and make their own cuppa coffee or cook own Maggi! :idea:

                    :!:

                    Ah-sir : Recruit! Why is your bed still a mess?

                    Recruit : I dunno how to make... sir!

                    (Drop 20!)

                    Ah-sir : Recruit! What's taking you so long with
                    the noodles? We're gearing up for battle in the
                    next hour?

                    Recruit : Where's the gas-gun... SIR!

                    Recruit : Uhmm... and if it's not too
                    much to ask, sir... put noodle first or
                    the spices first.. SIR!

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • FunzF Offline
                      Funz
                      last edited by

                      My kids are also 4 and 6yrs old. So far, I have attempted the following.


                      1. make their own beds (failed)
                      2. clear and pack their own school bags (failed)
                      3. keep their own toys and books (semi-ok)
                      4. set the table for meals (failed)
                      5. water the plants (failed)

                      Ok key word here is attempted. Reason? I have a wonderfully efficient helper. Nothing against her, in fact I really appreciate her. But she does everything. I have told her time and again what I want the children to be doing themselves. Once, twice ok. But if I am not there to oversee it, everything will be done by her.

                      The kids enjoy tasks like watering the plants and washing the car. To them these are not chores but fun. However, my helper will get all these done and out of the way even before the days starts for any of us.

                      I wouldn’t even dare to attempt getting my kids to do their own laundry. Knowing them, it will end up being some water play for them.

                      I know I have also not really made that effort to ensure that they get the task done. Just don’t have the energy to nag the kids and explain to my helper all the time. So for now, I will be thankful if they can just complete the following tasks without me having to nag them into it

                      1. wash up and shower
                      2. clear & pack their own bags (intend to drill it into DD since she will be in P1 next year)
                      3. keep their own toys and stuff (in the proper places, not just in any available place)

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • M Offline
                        Mum_2Gals
                        last edited by

                        Wow, your kids are so good! I have no helper, I AM the Maid 😞

                        My K1 and N1 kids can only \"help\" to clean up their toys and bring their bowls/bottles/cups etc back to kitchen. They like to help me clean the floor with my Magiclean wiper ( I removed one portion so the length is just right for them). More for FUN though :lol: Well, seems like it's time to \"train\" them to do more 😄

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 3
                        • 4
                        • 1 / 4
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        0

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy