Secondary 2 Streaming
-
doodbug\" post_id=\"1934980\" time=\"1568269483\" user_id=\"13281:
If you have been relatively hands off all these while, your kid may not like your sudden active involvement.
Maybe after the SA2 results, I may have to start managing academics more actively lol!!
I keep track in the background as in school send all the info and such and I keep abreast of what is happening but other than that, they manage their own studies and school related stuff. I get involved only when necessary or more as a sounding board for them.
Double or triple science, Geog, Lit or Hist, O level or IP/IB, JC or Poly, all they decide for themselves what they want to aim for and they work towards it. -
Funz\" post_id=\"1934993\" time=\"1568272603\" user_id=\"6230:
Same. Kids will choose Double or Triple Science, Geog, Lit or History, O level or IP/IB or whatever Special Programmes, 3rd Lang, or not. Though I did tell my daughter to consider the O level route as she will not be tied to a particular JC. She eventually chose IP, which we are okay with as well. Admittedly, sometimes I do wish my kids would stretch themselves to try options presented to them ....but we are also well aware that our kids are not top performers / talents nor are they goal-getters lah.
If you have been relatively hands off all these while, your kid may not like your sudden active involvement.doodbug\" post_id=\"1934980\" time=\"1568269483\" user_id=\"13281:
Maybe after the SA2 results, I may have to start managing academics more actively lol!!
I keep track in the background as in school send all the info and such and I keep abreast of what is happening but other than that, they manage their own studies and school related stuff. I get involved only when necessary or more as a sounding board for them.
Double or triple science, Geog, Lit or Hist, O level or IP/IB, JC or Poly, all they decide for themselves what they want to aim for and they work towards it.
The only we said was, if you wanna study Medicine and can't make it to NUS/NTU, sorry no promises we have the means to send you overseas.
I try to attend the level-wide MTP general talks, but I don't meet with form teachers or subject teachers. I assume no call from them means nothing serious to worry for. Some parents do take comments from teachers very very sensitively and harp nonstop or think nonstop about the comments. -
doodbug\" post_id=\"1934994\" time=\"1568273093\" user_id=\"13281:
Again, for me, this was child-dependent. I attended every session for my older girl because I felt she needed a lot of support from teachers, so I saw my role as partly to explain her needs to them, and to show that I was willing to support them and her from the home front. For my other girl, I attended the level-wide sessions only, so that I could understand what the school was doing/planning. Other than that, my daughter told me not to bother, and I also felt that, for her, no news was good news!
I try to attend the level-wide MTP general talks, but I don't meet with form teachers or subject teachers. I assume no call from them means nothing serious to worry for. Some parents do take comments from teachers very very sensitively and harp nonstop or think nonstop about the comments. -
Imp75:
In A level can third Lang replace a contrasting subject like econs or humanities?
Hello Imp, fyr:
https://rafflespress.com/2017/09/30/please-mind-the-platform-gap-the-road-less-taken-h1h2-japanese/
Jmo, it may be sufficient to stop at H1 level if your kids are really interested in the language per se. For more in-depth studies in culture, perhaps some time in a Japanese university (exchange program etcetera)?, which can better let you research classical Japanese language, together with local dialects (kansai-ben), history, literature, popular culture... Just FYI. -
sky minecrafter\" post_id=\"1935173\" time=\"1568374934\" user_id=\"130531:[quote=\"sky minecrafter\" post_id=1935173 time=1568374934 user_id=130531]
Thx SMC! If this is a H1 subject then defeats the purpose as still need to look for a contrasting subject in H2 and econs is known to be tough at scoring in A levels.Imp75:
Hello Imp, fyr:In A level can third Lang replace a contrasting subject like econs or humanities?
https://rafflespress.com/2017/09/30/please-mind-the-platform-gap-the-road-less-taken-h1h2-japanese/
Jmo, it may be sufficient to stop at H1 level if your kids are really interested in the language per se. For more in-depth studies in culture, perhaps some time in a Japanese university (exchange program etcetera)?, which can better let you research classical Japanese language, together with local dialects (kansai-ben), history, literature, popular culture... Just FYI.[/quote] -
Imp75\" post_id=\"1935223\" time=\"1568432952\" user_id=\"2358:
Thx SMC! If this is a H1 subject then defeats the purpose as still need to look for a contrasting subject in H2 and econs is known to be tough at scoring in A levels.[/quote]sky minecrafter\" post_id=\"1935173\" time=\"1568374934\" user_id=\"130531:[quote=\"sky minecrafter\" post_id=1935173 time=1568374934 user_id=130531]
Hello Imp, fyr:In A level can third Lang replace a contrasting subject like econs or humanities?
https://rafflespress.com/2017/09/30/please-mind-the-platform-gap-the-road-less-taken-h1h2-japanese/
Jmo, it may be sufficient to stop at H1 level if your kids are really interested in the language per se. For more in-depth studies in culture, perhaps some time in a Japanese university (exchange program etcetera)?, which can better let you research classical Japanese language, together with local dialects (kansai-ben), history, literature, popular culture... Just FYI.MerlionInGermany\" post_id=\"1934881\" time=\"1568204747\" user_id=\"2964:
I think it is at H2. Classes at MOELC.
3rd Lang at H2 level?emoh\" post_id=\"1934863\" time=\"1568196721\" user_id=\"10618:
[quote=MerlionInGermany post_id=1934812 time=1568180652 user_id=2964]
Yes. You can take, for example, Bio Chem Ma, and 3rd lang.
https://postimg.cc/nM3P3P0n[/quote]You can take it at H2 if you want. -
Imp75\" post_id=\"1935223\" time=\"1568432952\" user_id=\"2358:
I thought the contrasting subject can be taken at H1, not necessary must be at H2?
Thx SMC! If this is a H1 subject then defeats the purpose as still need to look for a contrasting subject in H2 and econs is known to be tough at scoring in A levels.
Edit: found out that although contrasting subject can be taken at H1, e.g., H1 Econs for science students and H1 Math for arts students, Third Languages can only be counted as contrasting subjects if taken at H2 and not H1. -
in terms of syllabus scope, is there much difference between (H2 vs. H1) Economics ?
If difference not a lot, might as take H2 Econs.
But if difference is wide, can take H1 Econs, but also need to consider which are the other 3 H2 subjects ?
But if take H1 subject, what is the weightage like, when come to compute UAS ?
Also, look at those university courses that require Econs entry subject. Are they asking for H2 or H1 Econs, for admission into university ? -
With regards to Japanese, at H1 or H2...
Sorry to have been unclear...current H2 Japanese content (jmo) does not seem to allow the student to learn as much as what a linguistically strong student can learn in a shorter time locally in Japan, plus H2 languages look difficult to score... So, if Imp's kids are looking at scoring well easily, or learning in-depth, there may be better options? Just bouncing ideas.
-
phtthp\" post_id=\"1935230\" time=\"1568435595\" user_id=\"35251:
in terms of syllabus scope, is there much difference between (H2 vs. H1) Economics ?
If difference not a lot, might as take H2 Econs.
But if difference is wide, can take H1 Econs, but also need to consider which are the other 3 H2 subjects ?
Hearsay is that H1 Econs is about 2/3 of the H2 Econs, so may not be really \"worth\" taking it at H1.
But if take H1 subject, what is the weightage like, when come to compute UAS ?
No impact on UAS as the points for th 4th H2 are halved. In fact, if you can get a better grade at H1 than H2 (e.g. A at H1 vs B at H2), it's better for the UAS computation. Many students take 3 H2 and 1 H1 rather than 4 H2. 4 H2 does give more flexibility if the student isn't sure which his weakest subject is, because any of the 4 can be used as the \"4th\" subject, but this flexibility has to be compared with the time and effort required to take that 4th subject as a H2. If the student really needs that extra time, and already knows which subject he is weakest in, then it's probably better to take a H1.
Also, look at those university courses that require Econs entry subject. Are they asking for H2 or H1 Econs, for admission into university ?
I don't think there are any university courses, in Singapore or elsewhere, which require Econs as a prerequisite.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better š
Register Login