Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    washing machine?

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Domestic Help
    140 Posts 70 Posters 312.1k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • D Offline
      duriz
      last edited by

      cherrygal:
      While you guys are on this washer topic, I have always wanted to know, how do you get hot water into the washer? Does it have its own heating element or you need to connect a hot/cold tap to the washer (ie hot water from your own heating unit)?

      I am looking for a washer now as my top loader just died yesterday at the grand old age of 11 years.

      Would you recommend a front loader or a top loader? My friend told me her Thomson top loader with verticle drum is good. Any comments?
      Hi cherrygal,

      Our hot water for the washer, kitchen area and maid's toilet comes from the heater in the yard.

      Depending on your own preference, I prefer a front-loading machine.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • M Offline
        maki
        last edited by

        cherrygal:
        While you guys are on this washer topic, I have always wanted to know, how do you get hot water into the washer? Does it have its own heating element or you need to connect a hot/cold tap to the washer (ie hot water from your own heating unit)?


        I am looking for a washer now as my top loader just died yesterday at the grand old age of 11 years.

        Would you recommend a front loader or a top loader? My friend told me her Thomson top loader with vertical drum is good. Any comments?
        No, you don't need a separate tap - Bosche has a self heater but I'm still trying to figure out a way to resolve my problem ie torn pinafore. Never had this headache when I use the top-load ones. :?

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • V Offline
          verykiasu2010
          last edited by

          cherrygal:
          While you guys are on this washer topic, I have always wanted to know, how do you get hot water into the washer? Does it have its own heating element or you need to connect a hot/cold tap to the washer (ie hot water from your own heating unit)?


          I am looking for a washer now as my top loader just died yesterday at the grand old age of 11 years.

          Would you recommend a front loader or a top loader? My friend told me her Thomson top loader with vertical drum is good. Any comments?
          I used that Thomson top loader with vertical drum before. REGRETS. it always cannot balance the load when spinning, creating lots of noise and vibration, difficult to clean off the lint too.

          If I am not wrong, all washers with warm water wash have internal heater and hence do not need a hot water pipe from outside - else you also need a good thermometer .... lol

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • C Offline
            carebear
            last edited by

            cherrygal:
            While you guys are on this washer topic, I have always wanted to know, how do you get hot water into the washer? Does it have its own heating element or you need to connect a hot/cold tap to the washer (ie hot water from your own heating unit)?


            I am looking for a washer now as my top loader just died yesterday at the grand old age of 11 years.

            Would you recommend a front loader or a top loader? My friend told me her Thomson top loader with vertical drum is good. Any comments?
            After my bad experience with the front loader, i am done with front loaders and hot washers. Btw, that machine hot wash malfunctioned after 2 years. The hot wash is built internally and you can set it to the desired temperature, the usual being 60 deg C.

            Also with front loaders, i have to buy special detergents, the low suds type, used for front loaders. With top loaders, you have a wider range to choose from.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • C Offline
              cherrygal
              last edited by

              Thanks everyone for your comments. I will go shopping tomorrow for one. :celebrate:

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • D Offline
                duriz
                last edited by

                cherrygal:
                Thanks everyone for your comments. I will go shopping tomorrow for one. :celebrate:

                Are you going to strap your spanky new machine to your spock car and drive home šŸ˜‰

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • FunzF Offline
                  Funz
                  last edited by

                  I just replaced my Fisher & Paykel washer last Saturday with a Panasonic washer. Been using the old washer for close to 10 yrs oredi. No repairs needed no issues but finally konked on Friday. Thought a repair will likely cost close to a new washer so did not bother with repair went out and got a new one.


                  The Panasonic washer is suppose to consume 50% less energy and water and is 20% quieter. So far, it is very quiet. As for water and energy consumption, can only see after a few months.

                  I did away with our dryer as well when it konked last year. Did not replace with another and my energy consumption went down immediately. Figured since I have a helper and we have a garden, there is no real need for a dryer. It is still best to dry our clothes under the sun.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • S Offline
                    sheryl
                    last edited by

                    Hi All,

                    I’m looking for a new washing machine. Have been using top load all this while. However I read that front load wash clothes cleaner & save water. But washing cycle is long like 1-2 hours.

                    I like to ask those who are using front load machine how do you wash your clothes given the long washing cycle. Imagine 5 hours a day for washing clothes for a big family. What brand are you using for front load?

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • M Offline
                      maki
                      last edited by

                      Started using Bosch front-load about 6 weeks ago. I decided to try front -load mainly due to its ability to kill germs feature. However, after just 1 week, it tore my DD pinafore (see link below). I was told that the uniform was delicate and should not be washed with the family clothes?! What utter rubbish as I never had this problem with top load washers which are actually harsher to our clothings. Does this mean I have to do 2 separate loads each day of 5 hrs? After 2nd opinion by a senior tech, he conceded that the drum was faulty ie \"swollen\" with sharp edges which was peculiar. Finally gave me 1-1 exchange but frankly, there is no way to tell if that was a brand new washer. To play it safe, I used nettings for some of my clothes.


                      Pros - saves water, cleaner, warm water kills bacteria, \"gentler\" handling

                      Cons - 2.5hr for full load, more electricity, cannot throw in laundry once you've started the wash cycle, low-sud powder, spare part pricier, washer pricier

                      http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15013

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • chatelaineC Offline
                        chatelaine
                        last edited by

                        Hi Sheryl


                        I have been using Electrolux front loader for the past 4yrs. Finds it user friendly and suits our needs. My mum used her old Electrolux for 10yrs+. I also heard front loader machine wash clothes cleaner and most importantly saves water. :love:

                        For every cycle, I will press on the quick wash button to cut down the washing time. Instead of washing clothes for 2hrs, it can finished washing a full load within 1hr. Usually I would let my washer rest for 2hrs before I wash another load of clothing.

                        It has many functions, ranging from delicate clothes to curtains and also cold or warm wash.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better šŸ’—

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 3
                        • 4
                        • 5
                        • 6
                        • 7
                        • 13
                        • 14
                        • 5 / 14
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        4

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy