Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Compulsory Overseas Trip

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Secondary Schools - Academic Support
    124 Posts 28 Posters 43.0k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • D Offline
      daisyt
      last edited by

      Agree with mrswongtution, its not an easy task for the teachers. Don't talk about overseas, I have a teacher friend, already feel so stress up when bringing the kids to NDP. After they reach school, the teachers cannot leave the school until all parents picked up the children. By the time she left school, its about midnight. The most ridiculous thing she told me was, one parent, actually forgot had to pick up the child at a certain time. When she called the parent, she was sleeping. :shock: If its not she told me, I won't believe such story lor. :lol: :!:


      Anyway, I am not against such system. So far, I have not come across any compulsory camps or trips for my dd. The schools would leave it to the parents to decide. πŸ˜„

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • N Offline
        nani
        last edited by

        mrswongtuition:
        [quote]Problem with planning service learning locally:Parents feel that it's a waste of time and that their kids should be home studying instead.


        Honestly, I have parents who write in to give all sorts of excuses so their kids don't have to do CIP. When I ask the kids what they did at home while we went, they said their parents forced them to study.
        May I ask have school or MOE ever done a survey on whether to service locally or overseas? Why would parents feel a waste of time doing service locally? Are these the same set of parents that are willing to sent their kids overseas, paying for it, risk them and yet not thinking is a waste of time?
        [quote]No matter what MOE does, there'll definitely be ppl who are upset/angry with the system or disagree with it. There's never a policy that will please everyone.[/quote]Yes, is true. Hence for overseas trips it should be done optional and not complusory. Just a reminder, I started this thread saying is COMPLUSORY overseas trips, and I really mean complusory not even strongly encourage nor optional. FYI, there are schools that enforce trips unless due to medical reasons.
        [quote]Can you guarantee that nothing will happen to your child on a family holiday, locally or overseas?
        Can you guarantee that nothing will happen to your child even if you are at home the entire day?[/quote]No one can!! Only GOD's knows. If he would want to take his child back anytime, no one can stop him. But as far as I'm concern when God's entrusted me with this lovely gift, I'm to give my ulmost protection, and not leave her to someoneelse hands.

        Yes is really frustrating having to rant and stick with the system cos taking my child out of the school is out of the question as I would admit that I'm academically incapable. Hence, writing here is to hear views on how parents in our society has create this competitive stress and hope MOE or school or even teacher's like you can give feedback to the system[/quote]Thank you.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • N Offline
          nani
          last edited by

          daisyt:
          Agree with mrswongtution, its not an easy task for the teachers. Don't talk about overseas, I have a teacher friend, already feel so stress up when bringing the kids to NDP. After they reach school, the teachers cannot leave the school until all parents picked up the children. By the time she left school, its about midnight. The most ridiculous thing she told me was, one parent, actually forgot had to pick up the child at a certain time. When she called the parent, she was sleeping. :shock: If its not she told me, I won't believe such story lor. :lol: :!:


          Anyway, I am not against such system. So far, I have not come across any compulsory camps or trips for my dd. The schools would leave it to the parents to decide. πŸ˜„
          Lucky you πŸ˜‰

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • corneyAmberC Offline
            corneyAmber
            last edited by

            I am with nani in this matter as I know how compulsory some schools can make things. I do hope she has a place to air her feedback that trips should be made optional. I am not sure if moe advocate that, my gutfeel is school chooses to be so so that the trip can happen. Without the numbers they may not get subsidy approval or the trip cannot happen. All these are logistics issues to me and parents should not be made to feel obliged to let the little ones fly out of the nest when they are not ready. And all these talk about doing anything also have danger is really unnecessary because who does not know that. Not all children are ready at the same pace so we should try to use lesser of our yardstick but listen clearly to the cries of compulsion enforced when people are not ready. Also, I don't think we should pounce on homeschooling just because there is a flaw in the system. Did we go to school to learn compliance or negotiation? My benefit was the latter. I give credit to a SG education despite it being very stressful at times.


            Nani, constructively I would check with a few mums of the cohort and request a meeting w the p to sound the concern. The objective is really to make him or her understand that it is not appropriate to make such trips compulsory. Over here, the age group of children are diverse and even if there is agreement, there is little impact on your school if your school p refuses. I hv recently walked into my p's office to clarify something and at least I see a clear circular being issued now.

            Hope this helps.

            Today is everybody's birthday, wishing all a happy birthday! πŸ™‚

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • C Offline
              csc
              last edited by

              [quote]Not all children are ready at the same pace so we should try to use lesser of our yardstick but listen clearly to the cries of compulsion enforced when people are not ready[/quote]
              Sometimes, the children are actually ready. The parents are the ones who are not ready emotionally and mentally and this led them to think that their children are not ready too.

              :lol:

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • corneyAmberC Offline
                corneyAmber
                last edited by

                csc:
                [quote]Not all children are ready at the same pace so we should try to use lesser of our yardstick but listen clearly to the cries of compulsion enforced when people are not ready

                Sometimes, the children are actually ready. The parents are the ones who are not ready emotionally and mentally and this led them to think that their children are not ready too.

                :lol:[/quote]True buddy but......
                actually if we go granular, this is considered not ready. We do not exist alone and there should be some give and take within the family. Of course if parents 'imprison' the child for prolonged period then this is deemed abnormal. As long as done within reasonableness I would give parents the leeway to make their own judgement call.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • N Offline
                  nani
                  last edited by

                  ks2me:
                  csc:

                  [quote]Not all children are ready at the same pace so we should try to use lesser of our yardstick but listen clearly to the cries of compulsion enforced when people are not ready


                  Sometimes, the children are actually ready. The parents are the ones who are not ready emotionally and mentally and this led them to think that their children are not ready too.

                  :lol:

                  True buddy but......
                  actually if we go granular, this is considered not ready. We do not exist alone and there should be some give and take within the family. Of course if parents 'imprison' the child for prolonged period then this is deemed abnormal. As long as done within reasonableness I would give parents the leeway to make their own judgement call.[/quote]β€œEvery mother is like Moses. She does not enter the promised land. She prepares a world she will not see.”- Pope Paul VI

                  β€œA mother is she who can take the place of all others but whose place no one else can take.” - Cardinal Mermillod

                  πŸ˜„

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                  Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                  Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                  With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                  Register Login
                  • 1
                  • 2
                  • 9
                  • 10
                  • 11
                  • 12
                  • 13
                  • 12 / 13
                  • First post
                    Last post



                  Online Users

                  Statistics

                  0

                  Online

                  211.2k

                  Users

                  34.5k

                  Topics

                  1.8m

                  Posts
                  Popular Topics
                  New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                  P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                  DSA Discussions and Strategies
                  PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                  How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                  SkillsFuture course recommendations

                    About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy