Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Supporting Child's Talent/Hobbies

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Working With Your Child
    109 Posts 13 Posters 34.6k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • D Offline
      daisyt
      last edited by

      buds:
      Agree with you daisyt.. :celebrate:


      My friend and i was just telling the receptionist
      at a music school that since their school always
      say short of teachers, especially for violin classes,
      our children can graduate and become teachers there
      themselves. Recycle the process. Re-use the talent. :lol:

      Get back the money. Hahaa! :rotflmao:
      Haha ! More realistic way is to get back the money from her if she really goes into teaching piano. Ok ... Ok ... I have to start calculating ๐Ÿ˜„ :rotflmao:

      Very strange hor, always short of piano teachers too. Good teachers are always full ! :?

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • B Offline
        buds
        last edited by

        daisyt:
        Haha ! More realistic way is to get back the money from her if she really goes into teaching piano. Ok ... Ok ... I have to start calculating ๐Ÿ˜„ :rotflmao:

        :rotflmao:

        Alamak! I didn't look at it that way..
        Cause mebbe the fact is i'm not paying
        for it. :lol:
        daisyt:
        Very strange hor, always short of piano teachers too. Good teachers are always full ! :?
        Yeah... good teachers high demand mah. ๐Ÿ˜‰

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • E Offline
          en107rn.01056yahoo.01056com.01056sg
          last edited by

          [quote]EN wrote:

          Are there any parents who try to minimize their child/children's involvement in pursuing their talent or hobbies? What's your concern in trying to minimize the child/children's involvement?


          As long the hobbies or pastimes do not overtake the time required to
          accomplish tasks for school work... i personally wouldn't mind. The stuff
          that my girls like to do helps them to de-stress from a day's work.

          Involvement in hobbies or extra CCAs should depend on how the children
          can manage their time well without exhausting their time to play and time
          to rest.

          EN wrote:
          How do parents balance the call for talent/hobbies versus school work?


          The activities are done only after school work is completed, bags are
          packed for the next day and other miscellaneous stuff like ensuring a
          clean room and sorts... it's challenging to keep an equal balance for
          both work and play cos as the levels increase more homework sets in.
          For now, my girls are happy just getting to do fun stuff with what free
          time they have & other times when they don't feel like doing anything
          we all just curl up together to watch tv. [/quote]
          Good to know. DS I have no issue of putting his interest before the necessary work is done. For dd, I do see her change for the better. School work first, then drawing. Good change. So far teacher doesn't give me courtesy calls anymore & the mother nature has just given me a smile for not wasting so much paper. :lol:

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • E Offline
            en107rn.01056yahoo.01056com.01056sg
            last edited by

            [quote]EN wrote:

            But with such skill, where does this lead them to? I'm still thinking & finding.


            No need to think what does it lead them to. Just like learning piano, I am not intending she can be a performer or a pianist. For me, its just a value added profile, another way of expressing herself and something she can relax with. I think, drawing is the same too. Oh yes ! One more thing, maybe an additional skill she has to earn as a living in future .... who knows, she might want to be a stay at home mum, with flexible working hours and reasonable earnings, teaching piano is not a bad idea too. [/quote]Hmmm...not everyone can draw well. Try asking me to draw any living thing be it animals, insect or human. :scared: Sometime with a talent or a hobby can be turn into a lucrative job. Just like the architect, fashion designer, home decorator etc. The very reason I'm thinking where does this eventually leads to.

            But hor...what you say is true too. It is something she can relax with.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • E Offline
              en107rn.01056yahoo.01056com.01056sg
              last edited by

              [quote]buds wrote:

              Agree with you daisyt..

              My friend and i was just telling the receptionist
              at a music school that since their school always
              say short of teachers, especially for violin classes,
              our children can graduate and become teachers there
              themselves. Recycle the process. Re-use the talent.

              Get back the money. Hahaa!


              Haha ! More realistic way is to get back the money from her if she really goes into teaching piano. Ok ... Ok ... I have to start calculating

              Very strange hor, always short of piano teachers too. Good teachers are always full ! [/quote]Okay, dont club me on this. I was not thinking of getting back the money that I invested on my children (as if I invest so much). But it will be good if they can make use of the talent & help to self support their education in the later years. I have a Malaysian colleague who went to Australia Uni. Parents support fees & basic living expenses. Any extra luxury, she needs to earn herself. She plays organ in Church during wedding & some other functions.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • B Offline
                buds
                last edited by

                EN:
                Okay, dont club me on this. I was not thinking of getting back the money that I invested on my children (as if I invest so much). But it will be good if they can make use of the talent & help to self support their education in the later years.

                Of course, we're not EN. And i'm sure you know that!
                Daisyt and me were just fooling around. :lol: As we
                already know, parenting nature is truly unconditional
                well at least for me (for now, hahahaa!)... and never
                do we even think, much less dream about raking back
                the earnings invested in our children. As long as they
                don't ask 4 money from us (when they're all grown up)
                after all the investment, consider okay liao. Hehee.. :politebleah:

                And i'm definitely no \"club\"ber. :rotflmao:

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • 2 Offline
                  2ppaamm
                  last edited by

                  From experience, it's going to be really difficult to get money out. Or maybe I'm just unlucky.


                  DS1 has already got 2 diplomas for piano. But to ask him to even play a nice piece for me is VERY difficult. He'd rather play his twinkle twinkle little stars to himself. But, he'd happily sit with DS3 teaching him the grade 3 pieces. So, at least he gives me a break.

                  Being a trained artist, I also asked him to write some books and publish them. His standard answer, \"I do things for passion and love, not for money.\" Hm... the revenge for instilling passion :shock:

                  DD2 is a little different. Also doing her piano diploma. This one goes all out to use her art to the max. She has no qualms about performing anywhere for $100-$200 a night. Ah... good investment.

                  So I guess, our investment may or may not come back in the form of money. But through the years, I see the art training given to the kids has helped build their confidence. I am also amused sometimes when they start to describe black eye peas's music in classical music terms. Kind of weird lor, but they have a common lingo amongst the siblings which is what I treasure.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • corneyAmberC Offline
                    corneyAmber
                    last edited by

                    2ppaamm:
                    From experience, it's going to be really difficult to get money out. Or maybe I'm just unlucky.


                    DS1 has already got 2 diplomas for piano. But to ask him to even play a nice piece for me is VERY difficult. He'd rather play his twinkle twinkle little stars to himself. But, he'd happily sit with DS3 teaching him the grade 3 pieces. So, at least he gives me a break.

                    Being a trained artist, I also asked him to write some books and publish them. His standard answer, \"I do things for passion and love, not for money.\" Hm... the revenge for instilling passion :shock:

                    DD2 is a little different. Also doing her piano diploma. This one goes all out to use her art to the max. She has no qualms about performing anywhere for $100-$200 a night. Ah... good investment.

                    So I guess, our investment may or may not come back in the form of money. But through the years, I see the art training given to the kids has helped build their confidence. I am also amused sometimes when they start to describe black eye peas's music in classical music terms. Kind of weird lor, but they have a common lingo amongst the siblings which is what I treasure.
                    You sound so blessed. :love:

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • 2 Offline
                      2ppaamm
                      last edited by

                      ks2me:

                      You sound so blessed. :love:
                      Hm... now you remind me, what blessings I get from giving my children art and sports training. Not money lah but:
                      1. It's nice to see the two sisters play the same pieces on the piano.
                      2. It's great to have one play, and one sing to the music. Or one on the piano, one on the guitar, or a duet.
                      3. Great to have them compare their playing styles, sometimes laughing at each other. However, since DD1 is weaker in music, in the initial years, she used to wonder why DD2 always catches up with her so quickly. Over the years, she has adapted to it, and holds her own grounds now.
                      4. Also very nice to see the girls do the dance steps together. DD1 will teach (and mercilessly comment) on sister sometimes.
                      5. Sports instills discipline. I like competitive sport, because it trains their minds to be strong.
                      6. Sports also pulls the siblings closer together. Training is normally tough and they have to go through that together. Sometimes, they gang up and boycott the coach together. Nowadays, the coach seem to let them be. :?

                      To me, arts and sports seems to have brought my kids closer together and they have grown to support each other more. My girls also do some sports as a pair, and I always tell them that they are so blessed, because they will never be out of a partner. When they are lonely or in another country, they always have each other.

                      I do believe arts and sports enriches the soul like academic can never.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • B Offline
                        buds
                        last edited by

                        I get the sibling lingo part 2ppaamm!

                        It's fun just listening in to them talking
                        with one another sometimes and when
                        i try to prod what they mean, they go
                        all secretive on me... \"Ssh.. dun tell
                        mummy.\" ๐Ÿ˜‰

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better ๐Ÿ’—

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 3
                        • 4
                        • 5
                        • 10
                        • 11
                        • 3 / 11
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        sharonkhooS
                        sharonkhoo

                        Statistics

                        7

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy