Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Allowance for Poly student

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees
    10 Posts 5 Posters 10.3k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • J Offline
      justsay
      last edited by

      Hi parents,


      How much allowance do you give for poly student ? TIA. :celebrate:

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • M Offline
        mrswongtuition
        last edited by

        My brother used to get $300/mth, including bus fare. Half the allowance during holidays.


        My sis will be starting poly soon and they’ve agreed on $300/mth, including bus fare. Holidays will be the same allowance because my sister is rather active in church activities and during holidays she usually has the responsibility of planning outings and camps. So she needs to travel out of the house more often.

        I was on scholarship during poly days and my allowance from the scholarship was $800/month. I only used around $300, including once a week movies plus dinner at nice restaurant with bf (now hb) - we took turns for pay for our dates.

        Average meal at poly is around $3-5. I had 2-3 meals a day at poly. Plus we snacked when there’s break (still growing, very hungry all the time).
        Best to sit down with your child to work how much is needed. If it’s the first time giving allowance monthly or such a large sum, try to start off giving once a week instead. Else got no self-control!

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • J Offline
          justsay
          last edited by

          Hi Insider & Mrs Wongtuition,


          Thanks for sharing, is indeed useful guide for me. Judging from your posts, I guessed around $200 for meals should be more than sufficient. Another $100 for movies, stationeries, buying some dresses and other activities etc.... So all in $300 plus another MRT concession $43 should be about right.

          Wow, which poly is that selling cheap and nice fruit juice huh ? haha.
          I remembered I love the cheap and good chicken chop during my time long long ago, when police wear shorts πŸ˜‰ . I used to get only $20 per week then and that include everything except bus stamp.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • D Offline
            dolphinsiah
            last edited by

            justsay:
            Hi Insider & Mrs Wongtuition,


            Thanks for sharing, is indeed useful guide for me. Judging from your posts, I guessed around $200 for meals should be more than sufficient. Another $100 for movies, stationeries, buying some dresses and other activities etc.... So all in $300 plus another MRT concession $43 should be about right.

            Wow, which poly is that selling cheap and nice fruit juice huh ? haha.
            I remembered I love the cheap and good chicken chop during my time long long ago, when police wear shorts πŸ˜‰ . I used to get only $20 per week then and that include everything except bus stamp.
            Nowadays, kids are so lucky....I remember when I was in Poly....
            My parents only paid my tuition fees...

            I had to work Part Time giving tuition and working in the factory during school holidays.

            Had to save as much money for my own allowances...

            But I learned the value of money during this time πŸ˜“

            Now I wonder whether I can use the same method for my teen... :idea:

            But my teen very busy even during school holidays....

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • tankeeT Offline
              tankee
              last edited by

              does the allowance inclusive of mobile phone & its bills, books & stationaries, clothes, bags etc?

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • J Offline
                justsay
                last edited by

                tankee:
                does the allowance inclusive of mobile phone & its bills, books & stationaries, clothes, bags etc?

                I am paying for mobile phone bills, but I make them pay if the bills exceed the basic subscription. Unless they need to buy some additional stuff that cost more, I'll pay for it. Otherwise the allowance I give includes buying stationeries, clothes, movies etc.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • C Offline
                  caroline3sg
                  last edited by

                  justsay:

                  Wow, which poly is that selling cheap and nice fruit juice huh ? haha.
                  I remembered I love the cheap and good chicken chop during my time long long ago, when police wear shorts πŸ˜‰ . I used to get only $20 per week then and that include everything except bus stamp.
                  Yes yes, I had $20 per week then excluding bus stamp. And perhaps we were from same poly, I liked the chicken chop too, BS Canteen (Canteen 3). Big and lots of gravy.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • J Offline
                    justsay
                    last edited by

                    dolphinsiah:

                    Nowadays, kids are so lucky....I remember when I was in Poly....
                    My parents only paid my tuition fees...

                    I had to work Part Time giving tuition and working in the factory during school holidays.

                    Had to save as much money for my own allowances...

                    But I learned the value of money during this time πŸ˜“

                    Now I wonder whether I can use the same method for my teen... :idea:

                    But my teen very busy even during school holidays....
                    I got $20 but have to pay my own tuition fees. 😞 Ya lor, kids are so fortunate nowadays. They need to do only 1 thing, i.e focus on their studies...unlike our time.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • J Offline
                      justsay
                      last edited by

                      caroline3sg:
                      justsay:


                      Wow, which poly is that selling cheap and nice fruit juice huh ? haha.
                      I remembered I love the cheap and good chicken chop during my time long long ago, when police wear shorts πŸ˜‰ . I used to get only $20 per week then and that include everything except bus stamp.

                      Yes yes, I had $20 per week then excluding bus stamp. And perhaps we were from same poly, I liked the chicken chop too, BS Canteen (Canteen 3). Big and lots of gravy.

                      Yes yes yes BS canteen. Who knows, perhaps we were even from same class πŸ˜‰ :boogie:

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                      Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                      Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                      With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                      Register Login
                      • 1 / 1
                      • First post
                        Last post



                      Online Users

                      Statistics

                      1

                      Online

                      211.2k

                      Users

                      34.5k

                      Topics

                      1.8m

                      Posts
                      Popular Topics
                      New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                      P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                      DSA Discussions and Strategies
                      PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                      How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                      SkillsFuture course recommendations

                        About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy