Detached Retina
-
Hi Muffins and Janet. It's best that someone else take over the driving, especially those trips back from the hospital. Your/hubby's eye would most probably be dilated and you/he won't be able to see normally.
After treatment, you/he will most likely need to make some adjustments. My right eye is the bad one so I tilt my right-hand side mirror on the car inwards such that I get a full view using my left eye. In cinemas, I sit on the right cos if my wife or son sit on my right and turn her/his head to say something to me, I wouldn't be able to detect the movement. Still remember having an office cubicle with an opening on the right. My people used to stand at the opening and wait for me to turn my head and discuss whatever they had in mind. After a while, I learned to look at their reflections in the PC monitor
Also, after treatment, ask MINDEF for fitness status to be downgraded. -
Hi TTLauPeh,
I haven’t driven for a long time, so it’s better I don’t do so at this point in time to be fair to other drivers and pedestrains.
My hubby has his NS status downgraded because of pain in his knee cap. Besides, he’s discharged from army since he’s already 40.
How long did it take b4 you could read comfortably ? -
Take cabs then.
I stayed almost a week in SGH but other than welding the torn bits of the retina, the docs couldn’t do much more with the technology and meds available then. Was able to read with both eyes and took my O Levels just after my hospital stay. My parents took me to the Chinese sinseh (he’s passed away, BTW) after that and I’ve had no further eye treatment after that other than for myopia (150 only in left eye) and middle-age longsightedness. -
We have been taking cabs, esp since it’s so convenient with taxi stands right at the door step. The next appt to see the doctor is 2 weeks later and after that will need to get a new pair of specs done because his eye degree has changed.
Muffins,
Have you seen the doctor yet ? -
No, going to book an appointment soon. Any good doctors to recommend, Janet?
-
Muffins:
No, going to book an appointment soon. Any good doctors to recommend, Janet?
Could it be conjunctivitis? (red eyes?) You can go to the GP first as u don't want to delay seeing a doctor. Alternatively, you can wait for Janet's recommendation.
Take care :celebrate: -
Muffins,
Why don't you see a GP first? GP can make correct recommendation.
My upper left eye lid is a little swollen
but I just took some medication for swelling first...if doesn't work, will see doctor later. Sian. -
Hi,
I woke up with a eye condiiton yesterday morning and was trying to find this posting.
I am not sure if I had "scratched" my eye accidentally when I was sleeping against the sheet,etc… My eyesight feels normal in sheltered area but when I am under the sun (in bright area), it started to feel blur and become teary. Wonder what’s wrong. I bought those antiseptic eye drop and gel to use. Couldn’t get to a doc since it’s sunday.
This morning, I felt that it’s sort of a strain to use the computer as well. I thought I read a earlier posting on cornea detachment and that was scary… Am thinking if I should go to GP but the thought of going under the sun deters me. -
My sis had retina detachment, she had no clue until her appointment with an optometrist who told her to go see eye doctor immediately during a routine check.
I would say don’t go to GP - unless it’s experienced/trusted type cos they are not specialising in eyes. Then again i could be wrong.
I went to SNEC after my sis’ experience (surgery, months of leave cos she couldn’t strain her eyes) and found out I had a slight tear. Laser treatment to close up the gap, lucky it didn’t get worse/recur…but I try to do regular checks.
Those with floaters…don’t worry excessively, but get it checked if you are worried.
Based on what I hear, there are absolutely no symptoms until it gets a bit late…not watery/blurry…but if you see like blackness descending on your eyes…go IMMEDIATELY to A&E. else, make an appointment with SNEC/other trusted eye doctors. -
For everyone's info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coats%27_disease (also called Coates' Disease).
Affects mostly boys. One early warning sign is yellow-eye in flash photography so take close-up 'look into camera' photos of your kids once in a while with flash on and the red-eye correction feature turned off.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login