Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Autism

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Special Needs & Learning Difficulties
    7.9k Posts 414 Posters 2.2m Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • phtthpP Offline
      phtthp
      last edited by

      helplessmum,


      Maria Montessori teaching method:-
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOZlQ-43oX0&feature=related

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • N Offline
        nugget
        last edited by

        Helplessmum,


        This article is for you.

        http://www.yourhealth.com.sg/content/mum-makes-touching-video-son-born-no-eyes/page/0/0

        This mother is so inspiring. Her kid is far much misfortune than ours and she love him proudly.

        I am sure you can overcome anything for your boy as well. Just have faith.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • I Offline
          ImMeeMee
          last edited by

          slmkhoo:
          I have a daughter with Asperger's, now already a teenager. In the early years, I struggled to accept the differences between her and 'normal' kids, and I have another girl who is very 'normal'. It's something you have to come to terms with. Eventually, I have accepted my daughter's make-up, her likes and dislikes, her ways of reacting etc. As long as what she does is not socially unacceptable, I let her be. We had to do some training in early years to work on socially unacceptable behaviours, but now, I just advise her when I see that she is not understanding social cues or norms, or when she making others uncomfortable. She realises that she's a bit 'different' and understands the need to conform to some extent, but then we are all 'different' to some extent.

          slmkhoo, i like the way you quote and unquote 'normal'.

          put a community of ASD individuals together with one NT and the NT may become 'abnormal'.

          its relativity.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • N Offline
            nugget
            last edited by

            Seriously hor, sometimes I dun understand why they want to single out mild ASD.


            Sometimes I dun even deduct my son has ASD. Or maybe I am getting so used to his behaviour.

            Like to ask if you all declare your kid as handicap when you all file your tax? Is ASD considered handicapped?

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • N Offline
              nugget
              last edited by

              slmkhoo:

              I have a daughter with Asperger's, now already a teenager. In the early years, I struggled to accept the differences between her and 'normal' kids, and I have another girl who is very 'normal'. It's something you have to come to terms with. Eventually, I have accepted my daughter's make-up, her likes and dislikes, her ways of reacting etc. As long as what she does is not socially unacceptable, I let her be. We had to do some training in early years to work on socially unacceptable behaviours, but now, I just advise her when I see that she is not understanding social cues or norms, or when she making others uncomfortable. She realises that she's a bit 'different' and understands the need to conform to some extent, but then we are all 'different' to some extent.
              Slmkhoo,

              Can share how different your daughter make up is? Heh heh I am just curious. I thought make up is just make up. Normal eyeshadow, lipstick and blusher? How different can it be?

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • N Offline
                nugget
                last edited by

                slmkhoo:


                I mean personality 'make-up', not the cosmetic kind! I haven't allowed her to start wearing cosmetics yet!

                Haha okay. Sorry. I misread. Cos yours is teenager will put make up. I used lipstick and eye liner when I was like 14 hee hee.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • H Offline
                  happyheart
                  last edited by

                  slmkhoo:
                  nugget:

                  [quote=\"helplessmum3\"]
                  Nugget,
                  How do u handle yr feeling when u see yr child is so diff to yr friend child at gathering ?

                  Sorry I read your qn again.

                  How I handle? Seriously, my son's feeling matters more to me than my own.

                  If I choose to bring him to gathering, I will make sure he has a good time. I will make sure he feel comfy and happy to the extend that sometimes I neglect my own adult friends.

                  My kids' feelings and well being is my top priority if I choose to bring them to such occasions/gatherings.

                  If i want to have a good time myself, I will leave my kids with my mum's or in laws then hubby and me will enjoy ourselves.

                  Never compare your child with others. Even if your child is normal, they will always progress at difference pace, different character and different reactions and tantrums.

                  I have a daughter with Asperger's, now already a teenager. In the early years, I struggled to accept the differences between her and 'normal' kids, and I have another girl who is very 'normal'. It's something you have to come to terms with. Eventually, I have accepted my daughter's make-up, her likes and dislikes, her ways of reacting etc. As long as what she does is not socially unacceptable, I let her be. We had to do some training in early years to work on socially unacceptable behaviours, but now, I just advise her when I see that she is not understanding social cues or norms, or when she making others uncomfortable. She realises that she's a bit 'different' and understands the need to conform to some extent, but then we are all 'different' to some extent.[/quote]hi, you have pm.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • I Offline
                    ImMeeMee
                    last edited by

                    slmkhoo, am asking this question of you cos I dont see a lot of mummies to ASD girls. I am to one.


                    how do/did you deal with your daughter's puberty issues as she grows? This is still early for me (my dd3 is 5yo this year) but it has always been in my mind.

                    dont know whether this is the right platform to ask, hope its ok with you.

                    thanks. šŸ˜„

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • N Offline
                      nugget
                      last edited by

                      slmkhoo:

                      I'm strict and conservative. I told my girls 16yo at the earliest, and must be approved by me first. She's 15yo, but shows no interest as yet.
                      That's very good! My niece only 6 years old. Already helping her barbie doll make up. I don't have daughter, but I remember I was quite hard to handle as a teenager.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • H Offline
                        helplessmum3
                        last edited by

                        Nugget,

                        My son will sit together n play w my friend kid. Whatever my fren kid play he will play cuz he Peer imitation .and fight for toys .

                        Just my fren kid k communicate w my fren whenever my fren instruct her kid to do.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better šŸ’—

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 119
                        • 120
                        • 121
                        • 122
                        • 123
                        • 793
                        • 794
                        • 121 / 794
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        Sunofwinter2011S
                        Sunofwinter2011

                        Statistics

                        4

                        Online

                        211.3k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy