Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Autism

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Special Needs & Learning Difficulties
    7.9k Posts 414 Posters 2.2m Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • S Offline
      Summer tan
      last edited by

      mashy:
      slmkhoo:


      Even for the high IQ ASD kids, their main challenges are usually in behaviour and social skills, being challenged intellectually is secondary. I rate being able to interact socially and know how to behave appropriately in a wide range of situations as more important than intellectual development, at least in the early years. Once the behavoiur and self-management skills etc is sorted out, knowledge can be acquired more easily.

      I agree with you. With my boy, it's not so much of intelligence that's the issue. It's the social behaviour.


      Hi mashy, do u mind sharing how you manage his behavior and ensure that he depicts those from home to school? Which eipic centre or OT specislist dod u send him before he was in primary school? Also has he got any AED attached to him? Thks!

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • M Offline
        mashy
        last edited by

        Summer tan:
        mashy:

        [quote=\"slmkhoo\"]
        Even for the high IQ ASD kids, their main challenges are usually in behaviour and social skills, being challenged intellectually is secondary. I rate being able to interact socially and know how to behave appropriately in a wide range of situations as more important than intellectual development, at least in the early years. Once the behavoiur and self-management skills etc is sorted out, knowledge can be acquired more easily.

        I agree with you. With my boy, it's not so much of intelligence that's the issue. It's the social behaviour.


        Hi mashy, do u mind sharing how you manage his behavior and ensure that he depicts those from home to school? Which eipic centre or OT specislist dod u send him before he was in primary school? Also has he got any AED attached to him? Thks![/quote]He was diagnosed very late. Just a month before starting pri 1 and the formal report only came after pri 1 started. So he didn't attend any Eipic centre. However, we started him on OT and ST from the time he was 4 years old at kkh rehab because he couldn't write well and he has poor articulation. Before the start of P1, he attended a week long class at kkh rehab on school readiness. He was taught appropriate behaviour in class, money management etc. Now, he still has sessions with the OT and ST for social behaviour, speech, handwriting and on task concentration.

        I also teach him at home with books on social behaviour and games. He is an avid reader so it helps. I am thankful that he had a good form teacher who was patient with him and came up with reward charts to get him to behave and complete his work. It took about 6 mths before he finally did his school work. Also great that he had very good classmates who helped him along and reminded him when he forgets things. Female classmates are so important IMO. Kekekeke. There is an AED attached to the class for maths and English classes. Mainly coz there are 2 ASD students in the class. She is more of a teacher assistant I feel. Coz I guess you also won't want the AED to solely concentrate on your child and make others think there is something wrong with him. Besides, he doesn't listen to her. He listened to the form teacher however. The form teacher is trained in special needs and the main driver in the class. This year, there's a change in form teacher. The new one is also trained and a senior teacher. So I can only say, I'm pretty happy so far. It's not an acad driven school so we could afford the time to let him settle down and learn appropriate classroom behaviour. I think it is important to meet a good teacher coz she can really make a difference. Previously, he would speak out of topic in class and slowly he began to raise hands and answer appropriately. So I would say, communicate with the teacher. Talk to her about your concerns, your suggestions on how to manage some behaviour etc. coz no one knows your son better than you and you know how best to manage each behaviour.

        I can't really ensure that he carries out all the things we taught him since we are not there ourselves. Can only practise a lot at home. There are bad days and good days so I just hope there are more good days. After each inappropriate behaviour, we will tell him why he shouldn't do that. And we praise him when he does something well. He takes praises very well. He now has a best friend in class and I'm happy with his progress.

        He doesn't have a violent streak in him so it makes many things a lot easier. At most he will just lie on the floor and go into his dream state. Or do some funny stuff when he is tired. Like 'ling Hun chu qiao' hahaha. My hb and I can tell when he's going all weird but I doubt the teachers can pick that up as easily.

        We can only try our best. Some things are just beyond our control and we simply have to accept that it is part of him. We also have to accept that he won't be topping his class or become the class monitor. So long as he is average, we are happy. 🙂 if he can do better, it's a bonus.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • S Offline
          Summer tan
          last edited by

          Thanks mashy for the sharing. Well done! If my son can be like your boy i will really celebrate le! Yes u r right, good form teacher and good classmates are very important. I also intend to send my son to a non academic driver pri sch if he can go to mainstream. Do you know where to check which pri sch cater to special needs? i cant seem to find it. May I know if he’s the only child? And how much do u pay for kkh therapy? do they have ‘classes’ on social skills?


          Actually I was talking to my hb just now abt PL school. He’s very positive. He said it’s ok if he has to go to PL. the most is next time he just be a researcher cos they are the jobs that don’t need interaction. He said I think too much and told me to take a step at a time.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • M Offline
            mashy
            last edited by

            Summer tan:
            Thanks mashy for the sharing. Well done! If my son can be like your boy i will really celebrate le! Yes u r right, good form teacher and good classmates are very important. I also intend to send my son to a non academic driver pri sch if he can go to mainstream. Do you know where to check which pri sch cater to special needs? i cant seem to find it. May I know if he's the only child? And how much do u pay for kkh therapy? do they have 'classes' on social skills?


            Actually I was talking to my hb just now abt PL school. He's very positive. He said it's ok if he has to go to PL. the most is next time he just be a researcher cos they are the jobs that don't need interaction. He said I think too much and told me to take a step at a time.
            All pri schools are supposed to provide support. However, not all are even. Some have more support, some lesser. You can look at those nearer your home first coz ultimately, you still need to register via the normal registration process. No, he isn't an only child. He has a younger sister who is at the opposite end. She's gregarious, talkative and everything he isn't. She is a blessing because she brought him out of his shell and talked more after she came along. She is his best therapy partner. 🙂 kkh rehab charges $41 after subsidy for OT and ST. If combined then it is $60+. For social classes, we have it with the ST. We had combined ones for social skills. Then sometimes during OT, if there's another kid who is about same age at the same time slot (different therapist), they will have a short social session together.

            Men are really the anchor when it comes to this. We as women are worriers. They are so cool and collected about this. My hb is also like him. He is right, he can be researcher holed up in his lab or computer programmer. There is no need for any social skills. 🙂 Now we just need to help them achieve that. My boy's ambition now is to be a dentist, so I dunno how he is going to do that.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • phtthpP Offline
              phtthp
              last edited by

              mashy,


              don’t mind if you can share with us how you use the reward chart at home to help him complete his tasks / assignmentproperly ? How you reward him ? give him stickers ? Did you design him a very colorful reward chart, because color appeal to kids ? Thanks v much for sharing.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • phtthpP Offline
                phtthp
                last edited by

                Summer tan:

                Actually I was talking to my hb just now abt PL school. He's very positive. He said it's ok if he has to go to PL. the most is next time he just be a researcher cos they are the jobs that don't need interaction. He said I think too much and told me to take a step at a time.
                think those researcher jobs like research in Bio Science technology field don't need to talk a lot. However, if he is in a management post in the field of research, still need to talk, to manage subordinates reporting to him.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • H Offline
                  helplessmum3
                  last edited by

                  Summer,


                  Where can I get the DVD "my baby can read"?

                  My son cc duno his condition , just smaller group cc

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • I Offline
                    ImMeeMee
                    last edited by

                    Summer tan:
                    Thanks mashy for the sharing. Well done! If my son can be like your boy i will really celebrate le! Yes u r right, good form teacher and good classmates are very important. I also intend to send my son to a non academic driver pri sch if he can go to mainstream. Do you know where to check which pri sch cater to special needs? i cant seem to find it. May I know if he's the only child? And how much do u pay for kkh therapy? do they have 'classes' on social skills?


                    Actually I was talking to my hb just now abt PL school. He's very positive. He said it's ok if he has to go to PL. the most is next time he just be a researcher cos they are the jobs that don't need interaction. He said I think too much and told me to take a step at a time.
                    summer tan, Naval Base Primary School is one of the schools up north that has a relatively good support system for ASD. I am told that the ASD ratio is higher there, and hence the number of AED that specialise in ASD is also higher.

                    I went for its open house last year and understand that the school embeds a program in its curriculum that focuses on character development. I have also spoken to a parent whose ASD child is in NBPS some time ago and she gave feedback that the school is supportive of our kids.

                    Do check it out. Open house for mainstream schools is usually conducted in the middle of the year.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • H Offline
                      helplessmum3
                      last edited by

                      All kind of works need communication n interaction …


                      Those work don’t need talking are done by machine …

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • M Offline
                        mashy
                        last edited by

                        phtthp:
                        mashy,


                        don't mind if you can share with us how you use the reward chart at home to help him complete his tasks / assignmentproperly ? How you reward him ? give him stickers ? Did you design him a very colorful reward chart, because color appeal to kids ? Thanks v much for sharing.
                        I didn't. The school teacher did. She just used it for a month or so and slowly tapered off. She just did a time table, printed on a coloured construction paper. When he behaves and does his work at the end of that period, she gives a smiley. It is just a round sticker and she draws the face. If he didn't, he doesn't get any. There was once he did exceptionally well, did very quickly without prompting and he got a smiley with grinning teeth. He was so proud of himself that he worked hard to get a grinning teeth sticker. There were also times when he was exceptionally bad so he got a sad face. After a while, she stopped using it as she didn't want him to be over reliant on the reward chart and his good behaviour continued. 🙂 I also did my part by looking at the chart and praising him when he got the stickers and encouraged him when he didn't.

                        I do a 'to do list' for him at home whenever there are plenty of things to be done. He will then tick off whenever he finishes each task. Now he will write his list on his own sometimes too.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 356
                        • 357
                        • 358
                        • 359
                        • 360
                        • 793
                        • 794
                        • 358 / 794
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        DoritD
                        Dorit

                        Statistics

                        7

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy