Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Autism

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Special Needs & Learning Difficulties
    7.9k Posts 414 Posters 2.2m Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • H Offline
      helplessmum3
      last edited by

      I already come across two daddies stay home to help ASD … There infact more is ASD is a son.


      FLOOR TIME is very important … Compare to go therapies barely few hrs…

      Especially , I no money kind … My son no SLT & OT . Until recently just join rainbow in late jan… :-(…

      All mummies Input n generousily share thier experience help me so much that after work I work can w my son…

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • W Offline
        wamin
        last edited by

        @jme, thanks. same here my boy turned 4 not long ago.

        And he follow instructions and he knows when i am angry :). He can take off his clothes when bathing (thanks to my wife she is very strict and always tell me i am the one who spoil them, but even before i meet my wife i always thought i will give my kids everything what i can afford and will pass on to them what i am learning so i am kind of soft 😓 ), take of his shoes and put in rack, operate anything is easy for him (including my phone :(). Since he started EPIC we have seen lot of improvement, in morning when i bring them to school he hold his sister hand and i hold his hand and we walk to car and then same to school 🙂 (it is fun to see them holding hand, again thanks to my wife she is the one behind this). But my daughter is 3 years and she is not as responsive as much as him, but she have words and sometimes she use them (totally on her mood if she want to use them) but my son is very quiet never said a single word only babbling.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • H Offline
          helplessmum3
          last edited by

          Slmkhoo ,


          I have two colleagues gave birth after 40s… Also NT kids …

          Just like down D.S probe but still dun get DS kids.

          Just high chance

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • L Offline
            Lavina
            last edited by

            Just for info:


            There is a Special Needs Savings Scheme, under CPF which makes monthly payouts to special-needs children after their parents’ death.

            For other money, parents can set up a trust fund with the Special Needs Trust Company (SNTC), which is jointly supported by the Ministry of Social and Family Development and National Council of Social Service.

            But I think these are for kids attending special schools only.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • N Offline
              nugget
              last edited by

              helplessmum3:
              Wamin. Ya lo very hard to get married and young age..


              I mean the facts some how make some sense.

              Last time when pp can get married early so lesser ASD .

              Now pp very difficult to get married earlier then all asd increasing ..

              Think my parents time get married b4 25yo..that's last time standard of living la..
              Helplessmum,

              I had my #1 when I was 28. My 2nd when I was 31. My 2nd turn out fine. So its not so true.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • L Offline
                Lavina
                last edited by

                I gave birth at 26, relatively young right? also like that…

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • W Offline
                  wamin
                  last edited by

                  @nugget, @Lavina just a question. Did doctor prescribe iron pill when both of you were pregnant?

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • N Offline
                    nugget
                    last edited by

                    jme:
                    Wamin,


                    My child just turned 4. He is a moderate asd. He was non verbal, couldn't follow simple instructions, very mild tempered, never fought with his sister, played on his own.

                    I noticed something was not right when he turned one. But it took me one year to convince my husband n my child was diagnosed of asd when was two ish. I took advices from others n brought him for therapies n classes but improvement was very little. I started changing his diet n it helped but not enough to make significant changes. I then started doing biomedical august last year.

                    Now, he is able to follow simple instructions, imitate words n putting effort to speak when he wants to eat or drink. He sings. He will play with his sister (when he is in the mood). He throws tantrums n fight with his sister over toys. I am very happy with his development. Although he is still very far behind his peers in term of \"everything\", I see hope. I will do my best to help him overcoming his learning disability. I sincerely wish that your son will improve. Jia you!

                    Jme,

                    Can you share what did you notice when your child is 1?

                    Like you, I also want to write a will. But I haven't bring up this to my brother whom I will be asking to look after.

                    I admired you for going the biomedical route, I tried and give up, its not easy and very expensive to do. And my boy loves cakes and pastries sooo much. But we did try to limit all the process food and don't let them take frequently.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • N Offline
                      nugget
                      last edited by

                      wamin:
                      @nugget, @Lavina just a question. Did doctor prescribe iron pill when both of you were pregnant?

                      I took folic acid, multivit and DHA pills only. As I posted previously, I think my kid change dramatically after MMR vaccine. He called papa mama at about 1 year old, did everything according to his milestones in the book. Only thing that he is slow is walking which he only starts walking at 15 months.

                      Other than this, he can smile at us, have eye contact, can say bye bye, can do sign language..

                      After he took MMR at 18 months and going to school constantly crying (for almost a year), keep to himself, dun play with peers.. We all thought its all normal cos he is a year end baby. Then come when he was about 3.5 years old, teacher in his cc say something is not right with him. He doesnt talk at all in school...

                      Seriously I didnt know he didnt say a word in schol. Sigh..
                      My greatest regret is not getting him diagnose early.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • I Offline
                        ImMeeMee
                        last edited by

                        jme:
                        Hi, I think you have posted similar question before n I believe it has been a constant worry on your mind. My greatest fear is what will happen to my 2 young children should mishap fall upon my husband n myself. I cannot bear the thought of leaving my babies behind. What will happen to them? Who is going to look after them? Will they be loved n well taken care of? I try not to think about it as my heart wrenches when I imagine them having a life without parents.


                        I got my husband to write a will with me. There will be guardian n co guardian. We even stated a second guardianship should first guardian n co guardian were no longer around. This is the most important n difficult decision. We had to decide who is the \"right\" person. Someone who can love my children as their own, who is willing to sacrifice their time n effort
                        to raise them, guide them. And this is even harder when it involves with a special need child.

                        I am also concern whether I will be able to leave substantial amount for the
                        guardians to look after my children without worrying for the cost n have my children living comfortably n that my son to continue with expensive therapies n diet. I am already grateful that they r willing to look after them n it is unfair to burden them on the finances.

                        Perhaps my child is different from most of the kids here. He is not hf. I am doing my best to help him and my goal is to improve his condition n that one day he is able to enter path light or mainstream. As for his future, it is just way too far to plan. I just want him to be happy.
                        jme, yes its a constant worry on my mind, even though at times I struggle with the question of whether I am thinking too much and should just take one step at a time and see where Life leads us.

                        I definitely have not planned as extensively as you ... :yikes:

                        BTW, this platform is for all ASD, whether HF or not. In fact, I salute parents who are dealing with more severe issues cos it takes a lot more to handle, and your knowledge on biomed is really something that is highly commendable.

                        kudos.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 387
                        • 388
                        • 389
                        • 390
                        • 391
                        • 793
                        • 794
                        • 389 / 794
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        vsamV
                        vsam

                        Statistics

                        2

                        Online

                        211.3k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy