Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Autism

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Special Needs & Learning Difficulties
    7.9k Posts 414 Posters 2.2m Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • NebbermindN Offline
      Nebbermind
      last edited by

      Double E:
      My boy has not developed to that stage yet. But he likes trains and sometimes, he will memorise the train stations.


      Today at Kindy, my boy put down his water bottle to take a bowl of rice from the teacher. After that, he just walked away with his rice without the bottle. When I saw that, I am like \"sigh!! forgot his bottle again\". But guess what, seconds later, he suddenly recalled his missing bottle and walked back to collect it. Praise the Lord for the little miracles 🙂
      It's so wonderful to read this before starting the day!

      Thanks you!

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • M Offline
        metz
        last edited by

        outsider:
        My DS is P2. He is crazy about maps. Read the street directory, memorized the roads, how they are connected. Roads that we have never use, he knows them too. He has super memory when it comes to maps. However, he is a forgetful boy overall.


        He likes to draw maps too, naming the roads, creating road names.

        Any other children with the same \" hobby\"?
        My friend's son has a passion for maps like yours. 😄 He not only remembers the roads, but also the buses's routes. And before he went to Japan for holidays with his family, he memorised the subway routes and stations in Japan too!

        You have an amazing boy there. 😄

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • I Offline
          ImMeeMee
          last edited by

          outsider:
          My DS is P2. He is crazy about maps. Read the street directory, memorized the roads, how they are connected. Roads that we have never use, he knows them too. He has super memory when it comes to maps. However, he is a forgetful boy overall.


          He likes to draw maps too, naming the roads, creating road names.

          Any other children with the same \" hobby\"?
          One of my doter's craze is music CDs. She will listen to her favorite CD over and over again until she memorizes by heart the name of the song and its track number in the CD.

          The other day we were in the car, my eldest doter and myself were commenting on one song of the CD playing in the car and we were saying that we did not know its track number. Upon hearing my doter blurted out a number. So we tried the number and it was correct! 😉

          Then I asked her the track numbers of a few more songs and she got every single one correct. My two elder doters were so impressed with her. That was one of the rare occasions where she was able to lead the conversation with her siblings, and I could see her beaming with pride.

          Now I am cracking my brain on what occupation requires such a skill. Anyone who knows please let me know. 😄

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • sharonkhooS Offline
            sharonkhoo
            last edited by

            ImMeeMee:
            Now I am cracking my brain on what occupation requires such a skill. Anyone who knows please let me know. 😄

            No need to think so hard now! Just take note that she has a good memory when something interests her. That's the case for most people, but many ASD people can be even more so. The downside is that they can be very narrow in their interests. My daughter can remember details of books and films she likes and only watched once or twice, but can forget Math formulae that we have dinned into her for the past 3 yrs!

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • I Offline
              ImMeeMee
              last edited by

              slmkhoo:
              No need to think so hard now! Just take note that she has a good memory when something interests her. That's the case for most people, but many ASD people can be even more so. The downside is that they can be very narrow in their interests. My daughter can remember details of books and films she likes and only watched once or twice, but can forget Math formulae that we have dinned into her for the past 3 yrs!

              So perhaps can get her to work in the books and film industry next time? I recall you were saying that maybe to get her to work in a bookstore ...

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • sharonkhooS Offline
                sharonkhoo
                last edited by

                ImMeeMee:
                slmkhoo:

                No need to think so hard now! Just take note that she has a good memory when something interests her. That's the case for most people, but many ASD people can be even more so. The downside is that they can be very narrow in their interests. My daughter can remember details of books and films she likes and only watched once or twice, but can forget Math formulae that we have dinned into her for the past 3 yrs!


                So perhaps can get her to work in the books and film industry next time? I recall you were saying that maybe to get her to work in a bookstore ...

                Yes, but the immediate issue is to get her through school so she can end with some paper qualifications! Maths is our current headache as it's compulsory up to Sec 4, and almost compulsory at 'A' levels (unless she is prepared to take a science subject, which would be worse!). And (although I haven't checked this), I am fairly sure that most poly and university courses, even humanities ones, will have some compulsory Math courses too. She already dumped science this year with great rejoicing (especially by us parents!). Education systems generally favour broad-based coverage of subjects which is good for most people, but unfortunately that makes it difficult for my girl.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • H Offline
                  HappyBlueBear
                  last edited by

                  metz:
                  outsider:

                  My DS is P2. He is crazy about maps. Read the street directory, memorized the roads, how they are connected. Roads that we have never use, he knows them too. He has super memory when it comes to maps. However, he is a forgetful boy overall.


                  He likes to draw maps too, naming the roads, creating road names.

                  Any other children with the same \" hobby\"?

                  My friend's son has a passion for maps like yours. 😄 He not only remembers the roads, but also the buses's routes. And before he went to Japan for holidays with his family, he memorised the subway routes and stations in Japan too!

                  You have an amazing boy there. 😄

                  😂 Talk about \"Map hobby\", my ds3 (no autism thou) loves to go to Google Maps -- go in & out of streets and also check about any places around the world. Anyone like him? I find his 'hobby' very strange. He loves math and likes to draw comics too. In P2 now.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • H Offline
                    helplessmum3
                    last edited by

                    http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/ontario-police-aware-hateful-letter-telling-family-euthanize-171036930.html


                    See this society even at Canada .. We got to face it ..

                    Neighbor wrote a hateful letter to tell the mother w autistic kid to stay at woods together w animals

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • W Offline
                      woggles
                      last edited by

                      helplessmum3:
                      http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/ontario-police-aware-hateful-letter-telling-family-euthanize-171036930.html


                      See this society even at Canada .. We got to face it ..

                      Neighbor wrote a hateful letter to tell the mother w autistic kid to stay at woods together w animals
                      Face it we must - but bravely, with faith & hope. There can & will be positives in situations. Through the above episode, the mum has experienced real ugliness but may have also gained support and understanding (I say \"may\" cos I'm guessing here... I can only pray for her remotely)...

                      Our children, neuro-typical and special alike, are deeply attuned to our feelings and attitudes. Let us not get too affected and down by how narrow-minded people can be; and continue to be our children's cheerleaders and advocates! :rahrah:

                      Just to share... My son was assessed to have moderate ASD when he was 2yo and he exhibited most of the obvious symptoms: spinning around, spinned wheels, couldn't talk, screamed a lot, tried to eat chalk etc. When we were still based overseas, many things happened that caused me to almost lose faith. Few times when I was out with DS, I was actually told off or accused by people of abusing him cos he screamed so much. We were actually asked to leave an accompanied playgroup (I was with him the whole time so it's not as if teachers had to handle him themselves) cos he would either spin or scream at inappropriate times. A mum at a playdate pulled me aside & bluntly told me that DS not really welcomed since his behaviour was obviously not adding value to playtime for the rest of the children... the list goes on...

                      In spite of the bad experiences (some really worse than the above), DS & I are also blessed to have met people who cared and extended their support. Perhaps it's maturity, perhaps it's the therapy, perhaps it's my own perception & over time I've also become more adept at managing DS -- DS's profile has also changed considerably. His latest diagnosis is that he is HFA & should be ready for P1 next year. I believe that all the bad experiences, though painful, can be positive. For one, they have helped me to be more discerning and over time, I've come to quite astute when it comes to gauging educators'/ schools' sincerity whenever I disclose DS's condition. No point \"forcing\" DS on them if they can't or won't help... I just move on...
                      So let's all jiayou!!! :hugs: Like Double E says - Thank God for the little miracles! 😄


                      Btw DS used to be good at maps & can actually remember specific routes/ paths just by going through it once! But he has seemingly \"lost\" that ability over time as we keep trying to expose him to various things. One area that he continues to be good at is puzzles and seeing \"patterns\". Someone asked us to let him just try international chess and he was surprisingly good at it. He's now with the s'pore chess federation's junior squad.
                      The wonder about our children is their gifts and their unique strengths. Can be narrow but at the same time, the depth of their aptitudes are astounding! Whenever we can, it's good to continue to expose them to as many things as possible while celebrating their strengths :imcool:
                      (sorry for long post! :oops: )

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • S Offline
                        Summer tan
                        last edited by

                        Read the reply from the grandma. Very touching.


                        From the fb post: https://www.facebook.com/groups/510387959036866/permalink/511629325579396/

                        Shelly Smith
                        A friend just posted this....My daughter just
                        showed me the reply form the lady at the
                        address, this is what she had said She said it
                        well!!!! : Dear one pissed off mother
                        -It’s always nice to hear from a neighbor,
                        especially when they have a problem. You see, I
                        love to help others. This is why I keep my two
                        grandsons who are autistic. When I take my
                        grandsons outside to play, it’s far from an act of
                        selfishness nor is it a nuisance for me to allow
                        him to experience the joy of childhood, a sense of
                        freedom and fun. I’m deeply sorry that you
                        consider his dreadful sounds of joy a pollution.
                        The real toxicity here appears to be your attitude
                        toward this situation and that scares the hell out
                        of me for your normal children. Can I ask you
                        how they are ever going to learn to care for
                        others? To appreciate that life should be
                        celebrated, even if to you it seems a little flawed.
                        And, by the way, there’s nothing flawed about my
                        grandson. One more question, what are you going
                        to do if one of your normal children grows up and
                        becomes the parent of a special needs child? Will
                        you banish your child/grandchild from your life
                        because they are too much of a nuisance? I hope
                        not.
                        You see, one day should you ever find yourself as
                        a grandmother to a grandchild like mine, I hope
                        that you won’t see him as a hindrance but as a
                        blessing. That you’ll care for him, as I do my
                        grandson, and teach him that he’s worth
                        investing in and loving. I hope that you’ll dream
                        of the day that despite his challenges – and they
                        are many – he can experience the joy of
                        achievement and the unconditional love of true
                        friends. It’s clear you’ve heard him scream, but
                        I’d like to invite you over for milk and cookies so
                        that you can also feel the warmth of his hug and
                        see the sweetness of his smile. Milk, cookies and
                        sunny play outside is how to properly deal with
                        any child, even my very special grandson. I know
                        you’re a hard working person and would welcome
                        the opportunity to share a meal, or even a small
                        snack, with you, share my family with you and
                        treat you special.
                        As to your desire that I move, I’m deeply sorry
                        that I can’t oblige. I love our close proximity
                        community because I love people, value people
                        and have made a home here. I also have friends
                        among the community whom I would miss greatly.
                        I try my best to do the right thing every day. To
                        care for my home, to care for my family and to
                        love my neighbors. I invite you to do the same.
                        Sincerely,
                        The lady living at this address

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 472
                        • 473
                        • 474
                        • 475
                        • 476
                        • 793
                        • 794
                        • 474 / 794
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        WordWizardsW
                        WordWizards
                        qqtang0526Q
                        qqtang0526

                        Statistics

                        6

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy