All About Autism
-
Hi Nugget,
My son was 21 months old when I got my 1st official complaint from his current playgroup Principal. He is now 2 years 4 months old liao. I think he just ‘blur-blur’ follow in the berries class lor. Right from the beginning, I was prepared to withdrawn him if the teachers got complained about him.
Hi mommies,
My son just got into his first ‘fight’ in school today!!! He saw his classmate holding a car and he started saying ‘I want this’ and gave his helicopter to his friend to exchange for the car. Luckily his classmate is willing to do the exchange or else I cannot imagine the ‘fight’ that will ensued. Phew! Close shave lor. -
Hi All,
Just wanted to have other perspective on my gal’s case.
She is currently in P2 , enrolled in mainstream school.
She was diagnosed with mild to intellectual disability.
She can perform if the teaching is 1-1 . She is enrolled under educ theraphy right now.
However, the Allied educator sent by MOE is really pushing us to transfer her to SPED school. Chaoyang.
Im a PR and my kid is only under student pass. I saw their school fees. it quite ok for the 1st 2years…however, if my gal is not converted to PR or Citizen, the school fees are aroung 2800 per month. Which I cannot anymore afford.
Do you think its best to leave her in the Mainstream school. She is learning, but not from school,. but from the 1-1 session she has with the Educ Therapy. Her Therapy cost about 1k per month with 1 session per week.
I want her to learn. But with this school fees, how can I continue sending her to school. -
Hi mharcute,
If the child is not learning in a mainstream environment and learning social cue/interaction is not your top priority, I think it is better to move to a SPED school.
But that being said, how to cope 2 years later when the school fee jumps to $2800/mth? It is really a tough decision as I believe once you ‘downgrade’ to SPED school, I think not so easy to go back mainstream school right?
Have you called some private SPED school to enquire about school fee? I know 1 private school is Genesis. Perhaps you can call SgEnable to ask for other private schools in Singapore and see if really 2 years later you cannot get PR status for your child then at least got Plan B. Good luck! -
My nephew, who has mild Autism, went through the EPIPC program under Metta School.
He will probably be enrolling in Pathlight School next year as his parents don't want him to be under too much stress and pressure from mainstream school.
Going through early intervention and a proper program can help the child to develop more normally and also cope with future learning in school, be it in mainstream or otherwise.
Some info on helping the child to enhance their learning ability and coping with Autism and SPD.
http://tinyurl.com/AutismSpd
http://tinyurl.com/AutismSpd -
mharcute:
I have a relative's child who was a case like yours but hers was that they are Singaporeans. The girl was in Pri 1 and could not cope due to her mild intellectual disability cognitively. End of P1, she was recommended to go Chaoyang School. Her dad asked the school to give his child a chance to study mainstream p2. The school said the child could not cope at all and the teacher cannot be always providing 1 to 1 help to her as there are other students in the class too. Reluctantly, the father placed the girl in Chao Yang. Today, this girl is one of the smartest and outstanding student in Chaoyang and she really progress a lot in Chaoyang.Hi All,
Just wanted to have other perspective on my gal's case.
She is currently in P2 , enrolled in mainstream school.
She was diagnosed with mild to intellectual disability.
She can perform if the teaching is 1-1 . She is enrolled under educ theraphy right now.
However, the Allied educator sent by MOE is really pushing us to transfer her to SPED school. Chaoyang.
Im a PR and my kid is only under student pass. I saw their school fees. it quite ok for the 1st 2years...however, if my gal is not converted to PR or Citizen, the school fees are aroung 2800 per month. Which I cannot anymore afford.
Do you think its best to leave her in the Mainstream school. She is learning, but not from school,. but from the 1-1 session she has with the Educ Therapy. Her Therapy cost about 1k per month with 1 session per week.
I want her to learn. But with this school fees, how can I continue sending her to school. -
But $2,800 per month school fees at chaoyang is ex!
How many parents can afford ?
The only way is to convert the child to Singapore citizenship, to reduce School fees substantially. Now her main problem is finance
Besides chao yang -
what other equivalent schools can she possibly send her child to, at a subsided, cheaper rate ? -
Hi Mharcute,
http://www.genesisschool.com.sg/. Can call and ask? -
But with the disability condition, will the authorities know and not grant citizenship?
Another way is to try homeschooling, supplementing with her regular educ therapy.
Worst case is to go back to home country. -
A beautifully touching clip. Have a great weekend.
http://youtu.be/mcXNeAKoYR8 -
Couragemom:
Wow! That's higher order thinking! Coz he knows how to trade. Very good! My boy only knows how to snatch and cry. Still don't know how to get something else to exchange.
Hi mommies,
My son just got into his first 'fight' in school today!!! He saw his classmate holding a car and he started saying 'I want this' and gave his helicopter to his friend to exchange for the car. Luckily his classmate is willing to do the exchange or else I cannot imagine the 'fight' that will ensued. Phew! Close shave lor.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login