Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Autism

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Special Needs & Learning Difficulties
    7.9k Posts 414 Posters 2.2m Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • R Offline
      rainrhythm
      last edited by

      I just received a call from SG ENABLE, so I need to select a EIPIC now…


      I stay in Sengkang. It seems followings are the closest ones:

      Metta Preschool@Punggol waiting time is 12mon to 18 months. I think it is too long.

      AWWA is about 12 months.

      CPAS EIPIC @ 65 Pasir Ris Dr 1 waiting time is about 10 months to 12 months.

      I am preferring to select CPAS EIPIC.

      Can anyone share any reviews on the above 3 centres??

      Any comments are welcome. Thanks very much!

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • G Offline
        Greenice79
        last edited by

        Hi please let yr child try Pathlight since he has been accepted. So once you are in the school teacher will advise if they find that your child can/able to fit into mainstream setting. From there you can decide if you want to let your child continue or let him complete the 1 yr in Pathlight and re-register for mainstream P1.



        quote="lilyrose"]Hi everyone,

        my boy is due for P1 next year. I was just informed that he’s been accepted to pathlight p1 standard.

        Therapists feedback is that he’s more suited for mainstream environment, and if I feel that he’s not too ready, a deferment i.e. repeat K2 is recommended. PD has suggested I send him to pathlight for P1 in 2017, and then withdraw him and make him repeat P1 in a mainstream school in 2018. Just checking if anyone has done that?

        I’m not sure whether I should make him repeat K2 or to send him to P1 mainstream next year. Anyone can share your views or experience?[/quote]

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • phtthpP Offline
          phtthp
          last edited by

          lilyrose:
          Hi everyone,


          my boy is due for P1 next year. I was just informed that he's been accepted to pathlight p1 standard.

          Therapists feedback is that he's more suited for mainstream environment, and if I feel that he's not too ready, a deferment i.e. repeat K2 is recommended. PD has suggested I send him to pathlight for P1 in 2017, and then withdraw him and make him repeat P1 in a mainstream school in 2018. Just checking if anyone has done that?

          I'm not sure whether I should make him repeat K2 or to send him to P1 mainstream next year. Anyone can share your views or experience?
          No point repeating K2. Move on

          Since Pathlight had already assessed your son & had offered him a place for P1 Standard, means they feel that he is ready for P1 Standard. So why let him go backward to K2 ? Move forward, let him study in Pathlight.

          In the course of his study 2017 next year, Pathlight Teachers & officials will feedback to parents his progress report at regular check-point, every Term.
          Whether or not they feel that your son is suitable for Mainstream pace in primary schools subsequently later on, they will feedback to parents, along the way. If they find him suitable for Mainstream, your son can then Transfer to Mainstream primary school, later on.

          If Transfer to Mainstream were to occur, later -
          Principal of the Receiving Mainstream school will obtain / gather feedback from school Teachers in Pathlight about your son, & then advise a suitable appropriate level for him accordingly, when he join Mainstream school eventually.

          However, do note one difference.
          At Pathlight school -
          subject Mother Tongue is automatically exempted.
          At Psle, students in Pathlight handle 3 subjects (English, Maths, Science)

          However, at Mainstream primary schools -
          ASD students not automatically exempted from Mother Tongue.
          Evaluated, Case by case basis.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • S Offline
            Snow24
            last edited by

            Hi


            How do you teach or what method you used to teach your child with autism to understand maths concepts eg addition,subtraction,more or less than etc

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • sharonkhooS Offline
              sharonkhoo
              last edited by

              Snow24:
              Hi


              How do you teach or what method you used to teach your child with autism to understand maths concepts eg addition,subtraction,more or less than etc
              Real life. Use food, daily items, things you see. Once he understands the concepts (eg. \"if I have 5 sweets and I give you one, how many will I have left?\", \"Who has more, you or me?\", \"How many more do I have than you?\", \"If I give you 2 more, how many do I have left?\" etc, and use real sweets to illustrate), he will find doing the sums on paper easy.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • S Offline
                Snow24
                last edited by

                Hi


                How do you teach gesturing and pointing to non verbal asd toddler?

                Need to teach child how to request for help.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • J Offline
                  jme
                  last edited by

                  Hi


                  I have decided not to let my son taking mmr booster. Any good clinic that I can go for measle booster jab?

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • G Offline
                    Greenice79
                    last edited by

                    Snow24:
                    Hi


                    How do you teach gesturing and pointing to non verbal asd toddler?

                    Need to teach child how to request for help.
                    Hi, teach the child to tap at your hand if they need help. As for gesturing perhap to start off with you can try to take the object in front of the child and make them point first to let them know what is require .

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • I Offline
                      ImMeeMee
                      last edited by

                      Snow24:
                      Hi


                      How do you teach or what method you used to teach your child with autism to understand maths concepts eg addition,subtraction,more or less than etc
                      I recall at some workshops the educators coach this approach to teaching math - concrete, representational and abstract. Concrete use real items to teach - it can be beads, blocks or balls, and simulate into real-life situations like sweets, cookies or fruits. Use these items to teach the basic math concepts. Then concurrently and slowly progress to drawing visuals on paper (representational), and eventually abstract using the numbers.

                      As example, you can show the child 2 balls in one basket and 3 balls in one basket, Count and add them to get 5 (concrete). Then draw 2 circles and 3 circles on paper and count 5 (representational). After that, use 2+3=5 (abstract),

                      You can use the above to teach addition, subtraction, multiplication and division and many other basic math concepts like fractions, mass, length and time etc. Hope this helps.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • I Offline
                        ImMeeMee
                        last edited by

                        Snow24:
                        Hi


                        How do you teach gesturing and pointing to non verbal asd toddler?

                        Need to teach child how to request for help.
                        Go back to basics. Find something (toy or food) that the child likes and hold it in front of the child.
                        1. Model for the child by pointing at the object to teach the meaning of point.
                        2. Hold the child's hand to point at the item, while at the same time saying 'Point' so that the child learns the meaning of the word.
                        3. Slowly let the child point first before letting him/her get the object.

                        Hope this helps.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 751
                        • 752
                        • 753
                        • 754
                        • 755
                        • 793
                        • 794
                        • 753 / 794
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        1

                        Online

                        211.3k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy