slmkhoo:AceTutors123:The study raises the longer-term issue of the impact on families of such opportunistic approaches to the truth. It suggests it could influence family relationships as children get older.
The researchers, headed by Gail D. Heymana, Anna S. Hsua, Genyue Fub and Kang Leeac, concluded that this raises \"important moral questions for parents about when, if ever, parental lying is justified\".
My husband and I believe that parental lying is not justified in most cases. I can't really think of many justifiable ones offhand, but I guess if in a life-or-death situation and needing to keep their spirits up, we might say that 'someone will come and get us'! I do believe that habitual lying over small things can lead to \"opportunistic approaches to the truth\", and will also erode their trust in us. We teach our kids to speak accurately, without hyperbole (unless it's clear to the listener) or 'white' lies, so we try to model that for them.
That's great slmkhoo, considering that over 98% of parents from China, and 84% of parents from the US lie to their children! How do you deal with situations wherein your child refuses to leave a particular public place, or when they insist on getting a toy?