Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login
    1. Home
    2. Individualist
    3. Posts
    I
    Offline
    • Profile
    • Following 0
    • Followers 0
    • Topics 0
    • Posts 53
    • Groups 0

    Posts

    Recent Best Controversial
    • RE: Cedar Girls Secondary School

      hymnman21:
      My daughter got 255 for her PSLE. Is there any chance for her to enter Cedar IP?

      possible chance. The COP for my batch was 246, and I entered with a score of 255, and was number 48. The top 50 of the level would be in IP. So I guess the cop for IP should be around your daughter's score. But it still depends on the cop and mark range for this year.

      posted in Secondary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      I
      Individualist
    • RE: Cedar Girls Secondary School

      Yes! Do put cedar as the first choice. There is nothing to lose. Even if your daughter does not get in, she can appeal, and most likely she will be able to then. Do come down to Cedar open house tomorrow!

      posted in Secondary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      I
      Individualist
    • RE: Cedar Girls Secondary School

      phtthp:
      hi Cedar students,


      a) if you are just an ordinary student - not a school prefect, not class monitor, nor a CCA leader (for selected few students) - does the school still groom you in any form of leadership training ? If Yes, what kind of activities do the school engage you in ?

      b) in terms of character building (besides leadership) - how does the school help you out in this aspect, from Sec 1 to Sec 4 ?

      c) how are you taught problem solving skills in school ?

      d) are you taught any critical thinking skills in your Secondary school ?
      Hello! Just to answer your questions -
      a) I wouldn't call it training but I think during lessons everyday, teachers do require people to take initiative and speak up during class rather than just reading off the boards and teaching their materials. and yes, as wanttoknow has mentioned, there's tons of talks. They might get guest speakers or ex cedarians. Even though you did mention to exclude the school leaders, I definitely do like the leadership selection process, and the first step to it is, if you are not nominated by teachers/cca leaders/seniors, you can do a self-nomination. During ccas, its not much of a teacher walking around to supervise, but I think bonding wise, and sometimes just being in charge, its all up to the seniors. You might not be the cca leader, but as a senior, you can have some say as to how to lead the cca.(discussing with teacher in charge about schedule line ups, activites etc)

      b) Talks, talks talks. Cedar hosts tons of talks. Sometimes its by demand, the teacher would ask what kind of talks do we want. And its really quite a few spread of the year. Under the LEAPS systems, in the enrichment area, its usually filled up by the school. Every wednesday, assembly will be conducted in the hall, and every week, different cca groups would go up to present their morning reflections about the NE messages and the school values. Most of the time, they reflect about the recent news articles.

      c) For problem solving, the school would have PBL(problem based learning) tasks.
      For example, for sec 2 science this year, we were given a case study of a man, and his symptoms, eg. blood in stool, vomit after consuming dairy products, and then we were told to research, and write a 3-5 page medical report explaining his illness. We also did experiments during that period eg test for fats emulsification. All this was under the topic digestion. Of course, there were pbl tasks for other subjects too. We were also made to write a reflection, and write the steps we had taken to solve the problems, and if we had failed, what did we do and the skills we have learnt. And before we started on anything, the teachers will brief us on the underlying principle of PBL tasks, and how it would aid our learning.

      d) This ties in with the PBL tasks. And occasionally, the teachers would engage us with topics that are supposed to develop our critical thinking skills. But I have to admit, this is one area where the school definitely has to work on.

      posted in Secondary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      I
      Individualist
    • RE: Cedar Girls Secondary School

      Advisepls:
      Hi all,

      I'm in a dilemma. i took all the auditions in school but i dun noe whether i should put ELDDS or Guzheng as second choice.
      i put track n field first cos i think i did well in shotput and javelin(funny thing is that i'm borderline underweight), but i'm quite sure they will probably not accept me cos i'm too short so second choice is quite important.
      I was in Guzheng in primary school but i take Drama classes and i kinda like drama better.

      Any comments? :stupid: :stupid:
      Hi, if you like drama better, then by all means, choose EL as second choice. You should follow your heart and not how well the cca does, or how many cca points you can accumulate. Because after all, you're going to stick to the cca for 4 years, and if you don't like it, it will become a drag for you.

      posted in Secondary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      I
      Individualist
    • RE: Cedar Girls Secondary School

      livewith_vanilla:
      My home has about $400+ worth of goods from Cedar's Girls. O.o


      LOL. Well the briefing was boring.-.-

      I'm looking to join Girl Guides, how about the rest of you?

      And I don't understand the skirt at all. Size 24/34(i forget the first digit) was like SO tight,but the length was just right, and size 26/36 fitted perfectly, but the length was like three cm below my knee(I'm tall,about 160-162cm in height)? It looked so weird.>< My mom had it tailored.
      Make sure its at your knees yeah, haha. There will be prefects assigned to each class to check every school day ^^

      posted in Secondary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      I
      Individualist
    • RE: Cedar Girls Secondary School

      losery:
      mmm, okays ! thanks alot people. well, im not really interested in choir and uniformed groups, i doubt i will make it for the track and field too. so any other CCAs to reccomend ? well, i definitely will turn up for the trainings etcetc. so the attendence isnt a problem to me. im interested the AV&photography but im afraid that i wont get enough CCA points to get an A. so do reccomend me other CCAs šŸ˜„

      THANKS ! šŸ˜„
      Hi! It depends on your interest I guess. No point recommending a CCA that you wouldn't enjoy, since you're going to spend alot of time on CCA ^^
      So, what do you like doing?(:

      posted in Secondary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      I
      Individualist
    • RE: Cedar Girls Secondary School

      desichan352:
      Individualist:

      [quote=\"losery\"]HEYYA. COOl, im a primary 6 this year and i got 250 for psle and was posted to CGSS which is my first choice, planned to go there with my friend who got 248 but she wasnt posted there but to her 2nd choice which is CCHMS, shes gonna appeal, and hopefully she gets in, šŸ™ or i'll feel so lost there. šŸ˜•

      just curious about some qns;
      1. what ccas get more cca points there?
      2. how does cedar puts the pupils posted to cgss in the classes?
      3. i heard from my sec2 senior there that she doesnt really use the laptop which she bought alot, so will the next year batch of sec1 be using the laptop more often like almost evryday?
      well, i guess thats about it. anyw, its kinda nice that im gonna be a cedarian since i was from cedar primary school, so i can visit my tchers easily šŸ˜„

      Hi!
      Sports CCAs do get more points. Particularly track and field(: But you must be good enough to be on the school team to have the 'full package'. Choir and Uniform groups are also a near 100% confirm to get an A1 for CCA. Provided you have the discipline to attend CCA often.

      They sort of randomly put them around? But then again, C,H,A are considered the 'top' classes. I guess because of the PSLE math grades. The students in classes C,H,A are required to do a Math Olympiad test.

      Next year's sec 1 batch will definitely be using the laptops more frequently. But I guess it also depends on the teacher - some feel better if laptops are not used - y'know social network websites issues.(facebook is blocked) If I'm not wrong, an online textbook for science is used next year? I bought the cd for it =_____=

      OMG!!!??? Facebook is blocked? Are you sure? Can i use it at home? (As in only blocked when using laptops in school?)[/quote]Yup, you can use it at home. Its just blocked in the school network.

      posted in Secondary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      I
      Individualist
    • RE: Cedar Girls Secondary School

      losery:
      HEYYA. COOl, im a primary 6 this year and i got 250 for psle and was posted to CGSS which is my first choice, planned to go there with my friend who got 248 but she wasnt posted there but to her 2nd choice which is CCHMS, shes gonna appeal, and hopefully she gets in, šŸ™ or i'll feel so lost there. šŸ˜•

      just curious about some qns;
      1. what ccas get more cca points there?
      2. how does cedar puts the pupils posted to cgss in the classes?
      3. i heard from my sec2 senior there that she doesnt really use the laptop which she bought alot, so will the next year batch of sec1 be using the laptop more often like almost evryday?
      well, i guess thats about it. anyw, its kinda nice that im gonna be a cedarian since i was from cedar primary school, so i can visit my tchers easily šŸ˜„
      Hi!
      Sports CCAs do get more points. Particularly track and field(: But you must be good enough to be on the school team to have the 'full package'. Choir and Uniform groups are also a near 100% confirm to get an A1 for CCA. Provided you have the discipline to attend CCA often.

      They sort of randomly put them around? But then again, C,H,A are considered the 'top' classes. I guess because of the PSLE math grades. The students in classes C,H,A are required to do a Math Olympiad test.

      Next year's sec 1 batch will definitely be using the laptops more frequently. But I guess it also depends on the teacher - some feel better if laptops are not used - y'know social network websites issues.(facebook is blocked) If I'm not wrong, an online textbook for science is used next year? I bought the cd for it =_____=

      posted in Secondary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      I
      Individualist
    • RE: Cedar Girls Secondary School

      Immasimplegirl:
      I have just gotten into Cedar.

      I am really nervous for tmr as all my classmates aren't going there.
      Are the teachers' there friendly?
      The teachers are awesome! ;D Some of my favourite teachers have left the school though šŸ˜ž After all, as long as you do your work well and listen, every teacher is awesome(: I feel as if Cedar teachers are really sociable? As in, you can talk to some of them as though they're friends. But of course, there will be boundaries.

      posted in Secondary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      I
      Individualist
    • RE: Cedar Girls Secondary School

      twilight:
      Individualist:

      bronze in napha for cedar is considered a retest, so try your best!


      Not true xD. Many of my classmates got by with bronze. Some didn't even pass but were not 'pushed' to retest. And it's napfa btw.
      Individualist:
      A math and geog is compulsory in the previous batches according to my seniors.
      You will be asked to drop a math in sec 4 if your results in sec 3 are not good. And geography is compulsory, the only different is whether you do full or elec.

      Excuse all my mistakes please XD

      posted in Secondary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      I
      Individualist
    • 1 / 1
      About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy