Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login
    1. Home
    2. Jackietang
    3. Posts
    J
    Offline
    • Profile
    • Following 0
    • Followers 0
    • Topics 0
    • Posts 25
    • Groups 0

    Posts

    Recent Best Controversial
    • RE: Creative Horizons - Discussion

      I found this webpage if you're interested to know what the kids learn in class. They have uploaded their activities and an essay a week for the public to access. The essays are good for kids' reading.


      https://www.facebook.com/creativehorizons

      posted in English
      J
      Jackietang
    • RE: Comparing English Enrichment Programmes

      Julie Kong:
      Can anyone recommend good creative writing class in Bukit Timah area for Pri 4 &5? They are generally quite good in their English but I want to \"buy insurance\" for their creative writing. Super KS but I am very stressed up for their PSLE!

      Hi, I would recommend Creative Horizons at Tanglin Shopping Centre. They recently moved to the new place and quite accessible if you live in Bukit Timah. The lessons are a combination of Creative Writing with the other components Compre and Compre Cloze. Overall, holistic. The teachers are familiar with PSLE syllabus and mark schemes as well.

      posted in English
      J
      Jackietang
    • RE: Comparing English Enrichment Programmes

      Hi I recommend Creative Horizons. Their programme is comprehensive, the lessons are fun and activity filled. They are now located at Tanglin Shopping Centre. Just moved recently. So far my children have been with them a few years. I see their writing has good vocab and details so I think they are quite good.

      posted in English
      J
      Jackietang
    • RE: Comparing English Enrichment Programmes

      sammifan:
      Jackietang:

      Sorry...I notice no one has replied you so far. Haven't tried L central. My kids have been in Creative Horizons all the way and seem happy sticking with them. Maybe you might want to try their Orchard centre? They have enrichment English for K1 up to JC2 and IB programme too


      Hi Jackietang, may I know how old your kids are and how long they have been with CH. I am wondering if their programme is sufficient for PSLE preparation.

      This year P2 and P4. They've been with CH for three years. If you have questions about what they do for PSLE prep, you can call them up or drop in to ask about the programme. I have seen the older students work and the material looks very comprehensive to me. All the sections for PSLE are covered in the skills taught.

      posted in English
      J
      Jackietang
    • RE: Creative Horizons - Discussion

      I know Creative Horizons has opened as of 4 jan 2012 for classes. Did you get reply to your email enquiry? If not, you can try calling now- they will surely address your concerns.

      posted in English
      J
      Jackietang
    • RE: Comparing English Enrichment Programmes

      Sorry…I notice no one has replied you so far. Haven’t tried L central. My kids have been in Creative Horizons all the way and seem happy sticking with them. Maybe you might want to try their Orchard centre? They have enrichment English for K1 up to JC2 and IB programme too

      posted in English
      J
      Jackietang
    • RE: Comparing English Enrichment Programmes

      Hi, I just saw your post. My kids go to Creative Horizons too and yes, they do creative writing. They focus on skills for creative writing like characterisation, setting and vivid vocab. Plot structures and the planning process is covered too.

      One thing I like is that they DON’T just give word lists to the kids which I think makes them dependent on them. Then in school, they are lost when they aren’t provided word lists. The good part is they know what goes into making a compo an interesting one. The plot can be simple but the story is really narrated to capture interest.

      posted in English
      J
      Jackietang
    • RE: Creative Horizons - Discussion

      Hi ASLMUM,


      as far as I know, for vocabulary building, CH does it through sample pieces called - in house material for their lessons. The new idioms or expressions or difficult words are introduced in context. It’s rare that you see word lists given to the students without any explanation.

      They are taught how to search the context for clues for Cloze Passages as well and the students are taught a mnemonic device to help remember the different kinds of clues to be aware of/look out for for Cloze.

      To allcc6,
      If you’re talking about current holiday courses in November and December: they have Active Reading, StoryWriter and Writing Craft. These are 3 different courses.

      StoryWriter is on narrative ideas. Writing Craft is on non-narrative writing- like instruction lists, dialogue between two people. The first is useful for the storyline compos the students need to do in school. The second one is good for things like situational writing, even argumentative, logical thinking -which they will have more of in upper primary and definitely the foundation for secondary.

      Active Reading is a course where they have to read two to three books before coming for the lessons. Then in lessons, the teacher will explore themes, setting, vocabulary and plot with them. I found out about this from another parent who sent her ds there last June holiday. He did a scrapbook on the books he read so he enjoyed the activities. Am thinking of trying out this course because the recep said this one is good for kids who don’t read enough.

      You mentioned P3 in 2012: The courses run only for the June and Dec break. They don’t have holiday courses in March. September courses are different in focus. They have something called Exam Focus for the last minute revision before exams and Reading Right which is compre

      posted in English
      J
      Jackietang
    • RE: Creative Horizons - Discussion

      nicnac:
      Oops. For the East Branch.

      Hi there,
      The Eastgate 2012 timetable is available but not on their website yet. You can leave your contact number and email on their enquiries section on their website and they'll mail you a schedule if you ask for it.

      posted in English
      J
      Jackietang
    • RE: Creative Horizons - Discussion

      sleepy:
      What about their eastgate branch? Is it a franchise?


      Anyone has experience with that center?

      Fees rather steep though at $47 each lesson
      Mine are at Eastgate branch. It's not franchise. I read in another thread that the prices are comparative for English enrichment classes. Also someone suggested the reason for the cost was teachers were all U grads with teaching experience. What I am happy is that the teachers are familiar with school syllabus and give the extra touch to help my children when we need.

      posted in English
      J
      Jackietang
    • 1 / 1
      About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy