HI Shn
BTW, I have another boy in P3 so of coz I am aware of the HM contents. Half of the work was left undone in P2 & my son said the teacher told him that he can use it to do revision during the Dec holidays.
Yes, we can’t change the education system, but we can as mothers do something about it. Get your child to nap an hour in the afternoon so that if you do work late, he can stay up & have an hour revision with you till 11pm. Few kids are self disciplined, most kids are naturally smart, but majority need a lot of our guidance so we have no choice but to be a tiger mummy because we must see the fact that 1 teacher vs 30 or 40 kids. Even if the school is using the Stellar or My Pals, ask yourself, how much of difference will it make? I have encountered not only in school but also with various tuition : error making, eg no "ed, no punctuation" , etc, I am the mother of my child, I am responsible to work with my child to achieve a grade that he is capable of . Maybe you think I sounds crazy, but most schools will pump the P6 students with extra classes daily & kids who are mentally prepared for the big PSLE will have to sleep late to find time. They have to sleep in more over the weekends. The fact that this is the first time that MBS did ask kids to stay back for housepractice, give supplementary classes for both Maths & Science . They are trying all efforts to step up our kids acamaedically from P5.
My final sharing : My girl did not perform as well because I was a complacent mother who saw B1 & 2 from P1-3 without much extra supplementary revision, she plunged in P4, she had to sacrifice her TV time , facebook, etc. Luckily she is back on track but sadly no B1 only 2 & 3 in P4. So now that my son is doing well, top 10 in the class, I do not want to repeat my mistake. He too, is following suit like his sister 0 facebook, 30mins TV during lunch or dinner time… it is never too early to prepare our kids for the tough year of PSLE, all luxury will be taken away from them. But of course, they get their TV, holidays, play time during the ususal semester break
So as long as they are not in an environmentally unfriendly school ( like with bullies or picking vulgarities), are teaching materials that we should be concerned over here?
Posts
-
RE: Maha Bodhi
-
RE: All About Full-Time Maids
Hmm. the line is grey. I think even our kids need a HP as they stay back in school. Why shldn’t a maid? She can listen to the music while ironing. But definitely we ve to monitor secretly. NO calls during day time. My Indo maid is in her 6th yrs. Due Oct, I wld renew her… increase a little pay but not to the new $450. I think other benefits play a part. Eg. I will borrow Malay books and CDs for her, so she can read while the kids are doing their HW and she watch the CD over the weekend. She gets her 1 off day/mth (from 3rd yr) no pay AL of 6-8wks per yr, I pay for the ticket. So I guess time flies for her as she returns home on a frequent basis & each time quite lengthy. Every holiday desination, I will get a gift for her or her daughter. I even buy her vitamins from the INdonesian Jamur store. If I do pack pack, I try to buy from a Malay stall & sometimes get cow lungs or kueh kueh. So, in short, she is a member of the family. If you really treat her like a child of yours, you will know how to love and dote her and the feeling will be mutual. Of coz, she needs to be pushed for certain things, I still ve to go through my food and fridge compartment weekly to ensure no expired stuff. Eg, if you asked her have pasley?, she will say "dadawu", can’t recall yr mktg. So she is a A maid , love my children, can do housewor & cook k, no bf, don’t ask advance $ but not the A* . Again, she was trained to look out for use by, expiry date, in their kamoung, no fridge, mktg is a daily affair.
On the other hand, my mother in law’s(stroke patient) maid keeps long nails, is vain and lazy…but I rest my case as it is a totally different story as she is taking care an old couple and what is there for her daily…just work and no love being showered upon her. Typical chinese food, channel 8 dramas. I heard from sis in law, she had a girlfriend (lesbian).
All the best! -
RE: Maha Bodhi
shn:
Imagine :? ...... paying 10 times higher price for a thick book, compare to the my pals, which we had not seen before. Until the end of the term, after the kids had done some part of the book, then the teachers will return part of the worksheet to us. AT the end of the year, when everything were return to us, i think not more than 70 % were done.
Hi, care to share why HM is not as good as my pals?adbie:
[quote=\"shn\"]seems like the Teacher conference doesn't seems to help ! so why hold a TC when they are unable to give info ?
felt weird when they change P3 EL my Pals to HM. Is MBS going down slope?
Then for each theme worksheet, Not every pages are done, meaning they will skip pages.
when the worksheets came back, (P2)
One of the exercise :
Two Letter - One sound. Each spelling word is spelled with th, wh, sh or ch.
Kids were told to put
when , which Under Whale
chase, which, teach, catch under chair
both, then, teeth, than under thumb
SOUNDING ARE THAUGHT DURING THE KINDER, and somehow, kids are to learn this agin when they in P2.
Another exercise.
KNowing your ABC's under P2 Theme 3: Neighborhood & Comm
Read the words in each box. Write the five words in ABC order.
most morning move mother month
??????????????????????????????????????????????
There are many parts of exercise that want kids to learn the sounds, vowel pair, I heard from a kid mum that . . . During lesson, the teacher also not so sure about the answer & have to keep looking at the answer ( teacher's Note).
Eg : Now write each word under the train that has the same vowel pair
Pail : train waited paid
may : spray stay day
ARE THEY TRYING TO TRAIN KIDS TO GO PSLE WITH PROFESSIONAL LISTENING & SPECIAL POWDER OF PARING THE SOUNDS????????????????
I realise that my DS taking (p1 & P2 HM) had drop in her grammer & comprehension , and voccab. cos she cant do well in other school exam paper.
P1 & P2 MBS english paper are quite simple & weird compare to other school.
Given a passage... Telling U that a Bear who is a doctor, treat a few paitients. then reading a newspaper.... etc ( cant really remember)...
Then kids were ask to list out the FACT & MAKE BELIEVE.
EG ...
1) THE BEAR IS A DOCTOR.
SO IS IT A FACT OR MAKE BELIEVE??? OF COS IT'S A MAKE BELIEVE
2) Bear reading a newspaper.
I cant remember excatly but parents want to know more, may ask the teachers for 2009 (P2 mid year paper)
Kids in MBS (P1 & P2 using the HM) were trained like this. then now..... P3 (2011 they still insist to use the HM) I think i got to buy more asses book & send my boy to more tution.
My point is...... for a P1 & P2, i felt that its very misleading to a kids. It's very Different compared to other school.
p.s ARE PSLE suppose to know this???[/quote]
I think MBS's direction is towards developing each child in a holistic way. If you are really the kiasu type, then you should pump your kid's with tuiton like Maths Olympiad, Jumpstart Science, or creative writing class.
NOw my P5 girl will be having a 3 day leadership camp after CNY & which is right b4 the CA. Shldn't they be revising? Well, then again, my china friend a peidu mama and her child is from a YCK primary. She only started tuition in P6,took her PSLE 2010 age 13, scored 252...where's the logic.? self motivation. I believe that efforts should come from the mummy & ultimately the child, that is only to a certain extent that the school can help. -
RE: Maha Bodhi
2818:
My boy is in P2G this year. The FT is supposed to be the one mentioned Ms A Soh, now on ML and currently a relieve teacher is taking the class. After reading all the comments from the parents I am starting to be very worried for the class. The worst thing still having ends. According to my boy the CL 8 teacher, Mr Goh is going for NS. So again someone will cover. So so worried. What happen to MBS!
My boy was taught by A Soh. She's super nice. Be patient. Well, a shortage of teachers is a common scenario in spore . Each year it depends o n yr luck, sometimes u get a dedicated teacher but goes on ML, or at times u get a not so dedicated teacher who doesnt give HM but is present everyday. At the end of the day, the school fees is only $11/mth. and 1 teacher to 30 and later 40 pupils. So, either join the US & opt for home schooling or just pump kids with tuition. -
RE: Maha Bodhi
Has any parent send their kids to the Chinese Language School located opposite MBS. I am deciding whether to send my P3 & P5 kids there or to a more reputable school.
-
RE: Comparing Chinese Enrichment (Primary/Preschool)
you can try greenhouse or berries
-
RE: Maha Bodhi
HI
can anyone advise me the day & timing of the chinese and english supplementary class. There is no more Malay class in P5 right?
thanks -
RE: Maha Bodhi
I think we should focus on which
teacher is teaching the class.
According my girl, she said 3G is the 2nd best class (which my son is in),I am more worried about gettinga caring and dedicated teacher -
Suzuki Method for Piano
Hi, can anyone share their experience? My boy, non music background(8)& girl , clarinetist (10) are planning for lessons under a private tutor, fees are about $80/hr for them to learn together. As read under in the suzuki violin forum, how can I tell if they are making progress, eg. after 3 months what are the stuff they should have learnt. Pardon me for my abruptness. For eg, for swimming, it takes about 6-12months to take a bronze test, if beyond that either the coach is not aggressive or he is there to squeeze more money from the parent, that’s my conclusion.