MMM:My mum took care of my kids when they were younger. She was a SAHM. Now that the 2 older ones are in primary school and the youngest in K1, her responsibility only lies with ferrying my K1 around for lessons.
In their case, my father has stopped working and has a very small pension after the sale of their flat. I am the only child so I am their only source of income. My parents had some savings when they sold off their flat but it's not alot type. They have been the hand to mouth type of family so don't have much savings.
I currently give them a combined of $1350 each month. My father was more like pocket money of $250 when he stopped working full time this year. My mum very much runs the family with the money. But it's mainly for both of them. I pay for their utilities and property maintanence when we bought a apartment together with them 3 yrs back. I also pay for the loan for their existing apartment. So due to that, my parents understand my financial load and hence don't expect too much from me on a monthly basis. During CNY, birthday or bonus, I would give them extras for ang pow preparation. I also pay for their annual holidays.
I feel that very much depends on your income and your parents. Eg. if they know your financial situation of having to support kids,etc... they probably don't expect much. But on the other hand, as they depend on your financially, it's difficult to stop the allowances or reduce. When the kids were younger and our income is not that high then, my mum didn't expect much. I heard some mums will compare the allowance against the childcare fees. :roll:
same, same... am the only child, so no one else to 'supplement' their income... and similarly, even though we were never destitute, they live from hand to mouth and thus have hardly any savings. even their CPF balances are meagre.
I suppose if my mum had the same allocation (e.g. 1000 out of 1300) she'd be happy enough. issue is I split it roughly equally since my dad has so many more bills to pay than her, but she doesn't see it that way cos he has a small pension and she only has me as an 'income source'.
it's less of the comparing against childcare fees than what comes up when there are family gatherings... then the aunties will ask (not verified but quite sure they do) how much your daughter gives you? then huh only like that ah? (without finding out how much i give my dad too, and that i pay for all their meals, and their utilities - gosh they use water and gas like free - our utilities doubled after they spent time in our house, but i can still deal with that...)