Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login
    1. Home
    2. Mandarin
    3. Posts
    M
    Offline
    • Profile
    • Following 0
    • Followers 0
    • Topics 3
    • Posts 71
    • Groups 0

    Posts

    Recent Best Controversial
    • RE: Anglo-Chinese School (Independent)

      harini:


      Can u please enlighten us on the GPA scoring system, so that we can also learn to focus on the right things. πŸ˜‰

      What is the photo-copy folks in school ?? Is it the co-op society ? Thanks for all ur help - it surely makes new sec 1 parents get more comfortable :celebrate:
      I am sorry to have taken so long to answer as I was very busy at work.

      For IP, the school is using the GPA scoring scheme so that the kids are geared towards the IB system. Your get 7 points for scoring >=80, 6 for >=70 etc. At the end of the year, you need to include LArts, MT, Maths, 1 from P.Sc/L.Sc, 1 from E.Sc/Hist and 1 other (ie another Science or Humans or Art) to get the total points. Add another max of 3 points form ISO/ePod. Max will be 45 points. If you have attended the briefing last Sat, you will hear that Dr Ong has some targets for each level, so as to prepare them to do well in IB. This is also used to determine if the kid should be transferred to Express stream at the end of Year2, if his score suggests that he can't cope well. That is the broad idea of GPA. For me, I only request my child to score in the 80s in most subjects, except for his strong and weak subjects. So, I don't stress both of us out. You may want to work out a plan with your child for this.

      The photo-copying folks are in the old block 3rd floor, next to 2.6 classroom.

      posted in Secondary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      M
      Mandarin
    • RE: MPM Maths - Discussion

      soup:
      Hi mandarin. Can you share if MPM is good for preschoolers? My child is in N2.


      Also, which instructors at the Parkway Building are better for young children?

      Thanks πŸ˜„
      I believe if the child is very young, Jelic will be offered. This programme trains more on logical thinking. But my children didn't go through it, so I can't comment. Because the new series is now offered to younger students and my children didn't go through the new series, so I am not sure. Though I have some feedback from friends (whose kids are in lower primary) that the new series is almost like school assessment since they align the syllabus with MOE, so not worth the fees. I think you might have to go talk to the instructor to understand better.

      No preference on any instructor. Sorry, can't help you there.

      posted in Mathematics
      M
      Mandarin
    • RE: MPM Maths - Discussion

      KingRascal:
      Hi Mandarin,


      Finally I found someone whose children went through the upper primary levels under MPM. My DS enjoys MPM alot and I strongly agree that the concepts introduced are creative and cld lead to some mathematical concepts in later years. Take for example the coordinates he came across in k2...it's actually the graphical x and y thingy.

      However I hardly see upper primary children with the centre. I was wondering if the relevance is lacking for upper primary. I also wonder which series (old or new) is better. Currently my DS is approaching end p2's workbooks. He's doing the new series. Thanks πŸ˜„
      Hi,

      Agree that there are very few upper primary students in MPM. I believe by then, most parents prefer to engage private tutors and enrol their kids into tuition centres that focus on exams syllabus.

      I have no experience with the new series, so can't comment. I personally like the old series as it gives the kids something outside school syllabus to work with.

      But then again, not all kids are the same, we need to be clear if we are developing their strengths or addressing their weakness. So, this method may work for one but not another. The perennial challenge that parents face !

      posted in Mathematics
      M
      Mandarin
    • RE: MPM Maths - Discussion

      hquek:
      hi mandarin,


      can share which centre your kids went to? Thanks!
      My kids went to the centre at Parkway Building, Marine Parade.

      posted in Mathematics
      M
      Mandarin
    • RE: Anglo-Chinese School (Independent)

      Sunbird24:
      [

      Care to share on how your son and yourself handle this issue?
      Saw a vendor in Clementi Central selling ACS(1) exam papers but cant't be sure if it is for express or IP students. :?
      I am really hesitant to answer your question as I am still learning how to help him. Though 1 year has passed and he has done pretty well, I can't say I have found a way to help him. The truth of the matter is that unlike primary schools, the content is much harder and broader, he knows more things in many topics than i do now. I can't help him in all subjects anymore, though I can still explain when he approaches me and after I read through the text. My job now is more of monitoring and mentoring, I just make sure that he finishes his work on time and revise for his test. My take is that as long as the child is paying attention in class and consistent in his work, he should be able to do well enough. Then again, I have never asked for high scores, I am a believer of 80-20 rule and prefer him to spend time developing other areas than hours on studying to score high. You may to be acquainted with the GPA scoring system and know what to work for.

      I heard from my son that the photo-copy folks in school sells past year papers (with answers too). It is sold by subject. As my son was not keen to buy(he claimed that his teacher has prepared him well enough), I have not purchased any before. You may want to check it out.

      posted in Secondary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      M
      Mandarin
    • RE: Anglo-Chinese School (Independent)

      kirakira:
      Mandarin, Chirunner


      My sentiments are exactly like Harini's. I was so impressed when I read about your sons. As their parents you must indeed feel relieved and proud at the same time! :celebrate:

      And I must say they are very well rounded, and the school must has given them the environment to excel in various areas, and not just academically.
      Thank you for your kind words. I must say my son is still learning to be a gentlemen and an officer. The school is definitely very condusive for this development. I hope your son and your family will find similar joy.

      posted in Secondary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      M
      Mandarin
    • RE: E2K Science

      For those whose kids were in it last year, could you share what was covered in the programme?

      posted in Science
      M
      Mandarin
    • RE: MPM Maths - Discussion

      I would like to share my experience.


      My DS is in sec2 this year, he was with MPM since P3 and completed all levels in P6. He enjoyed every lesson and I particularly liked the fact that MPM teaches him many Maths concept early and in a very creative and easy-to-learn way. You may not realise it then but many of the exercises done in the early levels are introduction to more difficult topics later. The child just learns it easily. In fact, I found that MPM has helped in some of the topics that he did in GEP later. However, I understand that MPM has done some major revamp on the syllabus to be more aligned with Singapore school syllabus, so this may not apply any more.

      As for my DD, I was really glad that I switched her to MPM in K2. She was then enrolled in Kumon and she absolutely detested the drills. She proclaimed to me at the end of K1 that her Maths was lousy and she hated Maths. I made a decision, which I never looked back, to move her to MPM as her brother had started MPM then and I was quite impressed with the curriculum. Within 1 year, her attitude towards Maths changed. She even won the Maths competition 1st prize in P1. She is now P5 and her Maths score in all exams has remained in the high 90s. Though the MPM curriculum that she is on is not closely aligned to school syllabus, she has learnt to observe, think and try to do any problems presented. I think these skills are more important that knowing fixed methodology in the long run.

      I don’t even think that the instructor is that important. The materials are good (barring some grammar and spelling mistakes which my kids found amusing) and they are meant for self-learning, although occasionally I do need to explain to my DD when she is really confused.

      The above is personal experiece. You may have to let your child try before deciding if the program is suitable for him/her.

      posted in Mathematics
      M
      Mandarin
    • E2K Science

      Does anyone have kids in this programme? Can you please share if it is interesting?

      posted in Science
      M
      Mandarin
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 6
    • 7
    • 8
    • 3 / 8
      About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy