Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login
    1. Home
    2. mel2sg
    3. Posts
    M
    Offline
    • Profile
    • Following 0
    • Followers 0
    • Topics 6
    • Posts 61
    • Groups 0

    Posts

    Recent Best Controversial
    • RE: Stay At Home DAD

      Eagle-Ladybird:
      About time this topic is discussed . . yes :goodpost:


      I wud luv to be SAHD. I have worked out the whole itinerary for it:

      Wake up have my breakfast together with family. Then send kids to school and drop wife to work (since she's a high flyer, she goes to work at 9.30am).

      Then, go for a 9-hole golf game with buddies. Then pick the kids up and have lunch at the club. Maid feed them lunch, and I continue with my buddies. Then go for a quick swim with the kids and showers taken care of. Send them home for afternoon nap, and I doze off too (of course, after 2 hours under the sun).


      how i wish my itineries are like he above. btw I am a SAHD with 2 school-going kids. however, the reality is like blow:
      5.40am - wake up, wash cups & boil water & prepare breakfast for DD
      6.05am - wake DD up, while I go & fold laundries (those put in dryer night before)
      6.35am - me go wash up and dress
      6.50am - send DD to school
      7.05am - reach home, have breakfast with wife
      7.35am - wife leaves home, tidy up. ironing kids uniforms for tomorrow
      8.20am - wake DS up, and tidy up bedroom & prepare his breakfast
      8.30am - vacuum house
      9.00am - DS finish bf, me do worktime with him
      10.00am - finish worktime, Ds goes poopoo, got spare time go feed goldfisf or tend to my plants.
      10.30am - bath for DS, and at same time scrup toilet. I give direction to him to point where to splash water, very convenient
      10.50am - DS dress up and ready to leave house. Drive to nearby mall for lunch.
      11.00am - lunch with DS
      11.45am - send DS to school
      12.00pm - marketing
      12.20pm - back home, faster mop floor
      1.15pm - go fetch DD from school
      1.30pm - get or bring DD for lunch
      2.00pm - back home, DD bath and do homework, if need my help i have to teach but nowaday seldom. The only time i can either catch a nap, catch up on news on internet or monitor share market. bi-weekly have to change bedsheets and curtains during this timing.
      5.00pm - cook rice and prepare fish for steaming (we cater food). So fish is add-on
      5.40pm - go fetch boy, why so early because kiasu if not early cannot chope nice parking in front of school
      6.50pm - reach home and have dinner
      7.20pm - finish dinner and wash-plates

      Normally wife will teach kids in evening, if she busy I will have to OT also teach until 9.30pm before they go to sleep. Still got many other things never put in. sigh, so who say got time for golf? :?






      8.


      Wake up, send the kids to enrichment classes and I'll meet up with some brothers for coffee. Maybe go to car show rooms, or happy hours :celebrate:

      Pick them up from enrichment classes, and pick wifey up as well (since she's a highflyer, she leaves work maybe 5pm). Go for a stroll at the parks, have dinner, and packed them home, ready for bed! They sleep by 9pm, and the rest is history :celebrate:

      Sounds alright . . . . or am I getting flame
      :siam:

      posted in Recess Time
      M
      mel2sg
    • RE: Kids say the darnest things...

      My 7-years old son, 72-years old father and me walked into a petrol kiosk as the attendant was filling-up the car.


      As I wanted to get some drinks, I walked to the corner of store, leaving boy with my dad. After a while, my dad asked my boy - \"where is your Father?\"

      My son replied - \"He is your son, you should take care of him\"

      my dad :stupid:

      posted in Recess Time
      M
      mel2sg
    • RE: How much Assessment/Tuition Work?

      Just my 2 cents of adv - maybe you should drill (over a period of time) more into your girl's homework to find out why she takes so much time to complete.


      When my girl was P4 she also struggled with tons of homework. Other than the quantity of homeworks given (quantitative which is unavoidable), we noted the following qualitative issues which we highlighted to her:
      - her hand-writing speed is big, hence tend to be slower
      - as she is a perfectionist, she tends to re-copy passages or compo, to make it looks neater before submission. Not necessary, as in the real exam the examiner does not gives mark for nice writing.
      - she used to use thick head ball-roll pen for writing, which has more friction as opposed to a thinner head ball-roll pen (where friction is lesser one can write faster)
      - She used to only start doing her homework when she is back home. Bad idea, as we noted that those good students will start doing their homework at school whenever they have free time - like lesson where teacher never turn up or some even during recess time, so that they will free up at home for revision. This is called time management training.

      Btw welcome to the culture of upper primary - where the school & teacher are the slave-driver. Therefore, you have to help your girl to speed up her homeworks as when she reaches P6, that is when the tsunami homeworks will come.....that is what my girl is experiencing now :siao:

      I

      posted in Working With Your Child
      M
      mel2sg
    • RE: Retractable Clothesline recommendations?

      Hi


      We have the same idea as you, as we only get sun from our living room balcony not from service balcony. We have been hunting for it for a while, and I can tell you there are not many retractable clothesline vendors in the market - and you are right the price is in the range of $300 - $400. If you stay near the West, you can visit a shop at Furniture Mall, they have varieties display at the shop showroom.

      2 days ago, we finally found the 2-poles retractable (with each pole has 12-holes for cloth hanger), with handle pulley system at Balestiar. We felt that the 2-poles looks more presentable (near living room) and practical as it serves as an extra clothliner (since we are also using the one at service balcony) or clothes that need extra sun. Happy hunting.

      posted in Domestic Help
      M
      mel2sg
    • RE: Kids say the darnest things...

      I punished my boy for some mischiefs he did. After awhile & bathing him in toilet he tried to get back at me:


      Boy: I am very angry with you for punishing me

      Me: If you said that again, I will punish you more as you still do not understand your mistakes.

      Boy: Then I am angry with Mummy.

      Me: Blur…Why?

      Boy: I am angry with Mummy for marrying a fierce man.

      I dont know to be angry or happy with his comment.

      posted in Recess Time
      M
      mel2sg
    • RE: All About Teaching Values

      Hi


      During the recent SA2, my girl’s (P5) English result got above 85, and when the teacher went through the paper with the class, my girl spotted an error in marking & highlighted to her teacher. Thus, resulting in deduction of 1.5 mark - nevertheless, after deduction still in band 1. The best part is she told me if teacher did not deduct the 1.5 mark, her English mark would have been the highest in the whole co-hort, and she could have gotten a recognition.

      I told her in Chinese saying - straight straight honest honest one day sure be beggar. Sometimes in life you need to be smart, selfish and tell a bit of white lies, and I told her I am sure some of her friends would have just keep quiet when teacher mark wrongly. Am I wrong to advocate such advice? Am I teaching the wrong values? Appreciate your kind comment. Thanks.

      posted in Working With Your Child
      M
      mel2sg
    • Will you inform friends & relatives for short hospital stay?

      Last week, my girl (11 years old) was warded in KKH hospital due to prolong viral fever. She stayed there for 3 days. My wife & me are private person, so we do not usually inform anybody (including close relatives). Furthermore, we do not like to inconvenience people.


      Apparently, my girl got to know the girl (15 years old) beside her, who was warded for something similar. She got so many friends & relatives visited her, and needless to say the presents, baloon and soft toys. Therefore, I suppose is very normal for my girl to ask how come she got no visitor. I am not sure whether we are doing the right thing on this, I would appreciate your view on this matter. Thanks.

      posted in Working With Your Child
      M
      mel2sg
    • RE: Exemption from MT (Chinese)

      Hi


      I can understand where you are coming from. My boy is diagnosed as GDD (Global Dev Delay) when he was 2. Like yours, the doctor keep telling us to drop MT (Chinese) as very likely he will not able to cope, and the strategy is just to focus on Maths & Eng.

      Nevertheless, this year he is in P1 we still let him continue MT just to gauge which level of understanding he is, & besides that we feel that Chinese will going to be an universal language in time to come given the arising of China.

      Thanks god, he is doing ok, averaging 70 - FYI my boy also hates MT, this is far better than our expectation. What I am trying to put across is just let him learn & try, you may be surprise he may excel. Cheers.

      posted in Chinese
      M
      mel2sg
    • Does it make sense to commit a 99-years lease private condo?

      Hi


      Currently, we are staying in HDB, and considering a second property. Last weekend, after lunch we drove around few fully sold near-TOP private condos in the West, for a gauge of how the property market like. There was this property agent who noticed our car & approached us. Briefly telling us the approx psf & price. As we have 2 kids, I asked him for the price of 3-rooms.......my god quoting me $1.1m :scared: somemore it is 99- years lease.

      Does it really make sense to buy a 99-years lease apartment - esp when after 20 - 30 years & with the remaining years, do you think still can offload in above purchase price? Or is it considered a depreciating asset in the long term?

      Appreciate your comment as I have neither the knowledge nor experience in this area, thanks.

      posted in Recess Time
      M
      mel2sg
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 6
    • 7
    • 4 / 7
      About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy