Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login
    1. Home
    2. mummyjoyce
    3. Posts
    M
    Offline
    • Profile
    • Following 0
    • Followers 0
    • Topics 14
    • Posts 396
    • Groups 0

    Posts

    Recent Best Controversial
    • RE: All About Running/Jogging/Marathons/Triathlons

      HI,

      Chance upon this posting. My 2 children (12 & 11) are taking part in the Kidsrun this year. They asked me to let them go.

      I think it will be a good experience for the children to experience the race as well as give them a sense of pride by wearing the number tag with their names of it.

      They might be so hook up that they end up doing long distance run when they are older.

      Just for the fun of it.[/b]

      posted in Sports
      M
      mummyjoyce
    • RE: All About Full-Time Maids

      Diveera:
      mummyjoyce


      Your maid is as lucky as mine. My maid also only do household, cooking and fetch my gal from childcare. The only diff is that I have a dog at home and don't own a mobile phone.

      The problem I'm facing she might have a boyfriend!!! Childcare teachers informed me this week that whenever she is there to pick up my gal, there is always this man that stand at a far distance (within their sight). Once my maid secure my gal in the pram and move on, he will turn around and walk ahead first. They monitored for a week before telling me and this week he is there 3 out of 5 days!!!

      My immediate thought is to send her back to her agency. However to do that without asking her seems so cruel. So will be talking to her this weekend. Have thought of spying on her, but if they were to deny knowing each other just someone walking beside her, I also can't do much.

      My main concern is the safety of my gal. Next week I will have to try to finish work on time to pick up my gal myself and arrange for my mum to pick her up on those days that I can't.

      My hubby thought was to question her first. If really need to send her back if not keep her. He is hesitant about changing maid and going through the training, etc. all over again. He is worried that my gal will take a long while to adjust to a new maid as she is quite comfortable with this one.
      Hai hai - very frustrating for us , right?

      Actually my hubby sometimes drop by the school or go home without any warning... this is a form of spot check which i feel is necessary.
      Therefore whenever my hubby is overseas; i will tell my child and the maid that I dont know when dad is coming back (even thought i know) - this will properly (hopefully) prevent my maid for making plans.

      posted in Domestic Help
      M
      mummyjoyce
    • RE: All About Full-Time Maids

      I have the same problem and my maid is already 3 years - she dont smile, dont talk to us unless it is necessary. She can go out once a month and has mobile phone. Actually there is not much to do in my house except to cook dinner, clean my apartment (very small one) and most imptly take bus to my child's school daily and take a bus back with her. My child stayed in school for lunch due to ECA and extra classes.


      There is not much communication between us. Of cos I wish to fire her as her behaviour is really bad sometimes - however this is easy to say then done. My hubby travels due to work alot and I am working full time. It is difficult to train a new maid to take bus, look after my child.

      Also, I feel that she is also bore at home most of the time and I can see that she is really looking after my child well.

      Hands are tight and it is really frustating - my hubby is not willing to risk changing a maid without us at home most of the time. My only hope is one day she wants to go back to Indo.

      😢

      posted in Domestic Help
      M
      mummyjoyce
    • RE: Do non-GEP student has much chance with DSA

      phankao:
      Jenn:

      [quote]
      i am not too keen on NUS High as I have yet to see the actual result from the pioneer batch of students. I guess only the good students will get to NUS or other good Uni but what abt the average one???? .

      .

      But the pioneer batch has already graduated. Are you referring to a FULL 6-year batch?

      The top NUSH grads got places in top overseas schools already. Maybe the not-so-good ones go to local U.
      http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/393462/1/.html[/quote]Many thanks Phankao for the information. I didnt attend any of the talks or keep track of the happenings in NUS High. I will leave it to my child to see if she can excel in the test and get selected. She is taking her Maths Olympiad tomorrow šŸ™

      posted in Secondary Schools - Selection
      M
      mummyjoyce
    • RE: Do non-GEP student has much chance with DSA

      sally:
      mummyjoyce:

      Hi,

      I have just registered my child for NUS High (she wanted it). Any idea what sort of test will be given?

      Thanks and looking forward to hear from experienced mums/dads out there.


      Hi mummyjoyce

      I have registered my boy for the NUSH DSA too. We attended the open house last week, the introduction abt the school by the Principal was good.
      My husband feel that this NUSH is good and my boy love it but it seem that DSA is important and they seem to select the students thru DSA not PSLE result.

      I heard from a friend that her son last year went for DSA and his comments was Math easy but science difficult need to read widely. Read more abt science I think it will help.

      Hope both our kids selected by the school thru DSA.

      Thanks... let keep each other updated ! Really appreciate all these prompt and useful replies.

      posted in Secondary Schools - Selection
      M
      mummyjoyce
    • RE: Do non-GEP student has much chance with DSA

      Jenn:
      mummyjoyce:

      Hi,

      I have just registered my child for NUS High (she wanted it). Any idea what sort of test will be given?

      Thanks and looking forward to hear from experienced mums/dads out there.

      Yes, many of the students who apply to NUSH actually wanted it themselves. Parents tend to choose the safer and more proven route like RI/RGS or HCI/NYGH.

      The NUSH selection test consist of 2 parts - Math and Science. Questions will probably be Olympiad level - not the norm that is taught in school.

      In the past, most math olympiad awardees found the math paper relatively easy. But the science paper had been difficult for most. There were many terms and terminology that normal P6 students do not know unless they have read widely. Format was in multiple choice but wrong answers will get marks deduction.

      Last year, about 1700 students sat for the test. 400 made it to the camp. Most who made it thru tend to have math olympiad awards or had distinction/high distinction for the UNSW science papers. However, there were some who did not have such awards. Some with these awards did not make it thru.

      I would not advocate going for the DSA training conducted by some of these commercial centres. You will see the same flyers placed on your car at every open house you attend. $700 is really too expensive and every school DSA is different. I don't see how these centre can train a kid in 1 or 2 months.

      Thanks Jenn for the insight. You are so right, i am not too keen on NUS High as I have yet to see the actual result from the pioneer batch of students. I guess only the good students will get to NUS or other good Uni but what abt the average one????
      Anyway, I will prepare my child not to put too much hope on DSA but to concentrate on the actual PSLE. THANKS again.

      posted in Secondary Schools - Selection
      M
      mummyjoyce
    • RE: Do non-GEP student has much chance with DSA

      Thanks for the replies; didnt know that there is such preparation course. This is getting competitive.

      I dont intend to send my kid for such course but I would like to know generally what sort of topic the students will be tested on.
      I dont want to stress my kid too much but I need to brieft her to set some expectations.

      posted in Secondary Schools - Selection
      M
      mummyjoyce
    • RE: Do non-GEP student has much chance with DSA

      Hi,

      I have just registered my child for NUS High (she wanted it). Any idea what sort of test will be given?

      Thanks and looking forward to hear from experienced mums/dads out there.

      posted in Secondary Schools - Selection
      M
      mummyjoyce
    • RE: PSLE - New Format for Maths

      :? i think the purchase of calculator is requried since P5. I knew about the change since last year. My kid is in P6 this year & another one in P5. They are already using calculator to do some of their homework.


      I think it make sense to use calculator and I like the idea.

      posted in Primary 6 & PSLE
      M
      mummyjoyce
    • RE: Formula for Area of triangle n yelling again

      Yes, it is time to meet this teacher and told her off in a nice way. Feedback is impt for teachers & also it is poosible to write to the principal to raise awareness in such area.

      posted in Working With Your Child
      M
      mummyjoyce
    • 1
    • 2
    • 36
    • 37
    • 38
    • 39
    • 40
    • 39 / 40
      About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy