Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login
    1. Home
    2. MXYMum
    3. Posts
    M
    Offline
    • Profile
    • Following 0
    • Followers 0
    • Topics 0
    • Posts 38
    • Groups 0

    Posts

    Recent Best Controversial
    • RE: River Valley High School [*IP]

      octopusmum:
      Of course, we don't need to own a bank to get an iPad . Just that, it doesn't feel good to know that the price is going to drop and that there is a new one coming up. Why r we paying more for sth older??


      And I don't think the school is doing the right thing by not helping us to find out if we can get refund for the price diff. Most of us will end up buying fr the school in the end but for me, I can tell u I am forced to do so and it doesn't feel Gd to be forced šŸ˜ž
      Oh well, whether I like it or not, I've succumbed to pressure and issued a cheque for the iPAD last night. :sad: My daughter told me that most of her friends have submitted their forms and cheques. They were told to submit their forms by this Friday even though the deadline is 1 Feb.

      I've thought of getting one later after iPAD3 is launched, but what if Apple ran out of stock and I can't get an iPAD2 in time before Term 2?? Our kids will lose out if the teachers start using iPAD2 in class and our kids don't have one. And what if the price didn't drop afterall and I end up having to pay more?? I gave up and just follow suit lah ... :scratchhead:

      Is this the consequence of putting our kids in an IP school? I hope that RV can really make a difference to our kids after 6 years ... :xedfingers: These certainly do not happen in 'normal' neighbourhood schools as parents may not be able to afford expensive gadgets like these.

      posted in Secondary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      M
      MXYMum
    • RE: River Valley High School [*IP]

      Belle2011:
      chewy9110:

      i am not against IPAD being selected as an enabling tool or enhancer for education.


      Like most parents, what I am not comfortable with is the pressure
      of the deadline of submission to purchase the tool, with the imminent launch of IPAD3 - rumoured to be on 24 Feb (Steve Job's Birthday). Somehow, I just hope that what we are purchasing is not a \"stock-clearing of obsolete products\" process and which I strongly think is not in this case.


      Basically, I would like to seek clarification from the RV contracting vendor aboutthe concern of the lowering ofthe price of IPAD2 when IPAD3 is launched.

      To allay the fear, the vendor could give price assurance - should the price of IPAD2 is lowered due to IPAD3, then a money-back refund of the price difference be given back to the purchaser who has bought the IPAD2 in the early or this round of purchasing process.


      i am not sure who is the appropriate authority to address regarding this issue and help the parents/students -

      to the Principal, parent-student group or MOE?

      any one can advise ?

      or

      anyone can help to inform the school of this concern and assurance urgently as the deadling is closing ?

      I am sure this is the concern for most parents affected by the IPAD2 vs IPAD3 issue.

      If the vendor can give the price assurance of money-back refund, I am sure RV will have the blessings from most parents of the success of IPAD as the enabling tool.

      Some Y1 parents have already voiced similar concerns during the briefing held in first week of Jan.

      Have all Y2 parents over here submitted their cheques for purchase of iPAD2? I've signed the form and returned it to my daughter by yet to write her a cheque. I'm still waiting for a last minute announcement of price reduction due to the earlier launch of iPAD3.... :? Still hesitating ... wonder if I should wait for a while and get it directly from Apple later... Maybe I can get a better price??? 🤷

      posted in Secondary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      M
      MXYMum
    • RE: River Valley High School [*IP]

      skss:
      Hi Everyone,


      I would like to check with you is Higher Chinese the default mother tongue in RVHS? Can the child opt for Chinese instead?

      Also, in RVHS, can the child opt to go for 'O' levels too?
      Dear skss,

      Yes, since RVHS is a SAP school, all students are expected to do Higher Chinese. In fact, the requirement for Chinese in RV is quite high.

      From my understanding, once they enter the school, all students will be in the 6-year IP programme and they will take 'A' levels at the end of the 6 years. They used to offer 'O' levels for weaker students but I believe they have stopped doing so.

      Parents and all, please correct me if I am wrong.

      posted in Secondary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      M
      MXYMum
    • RE: River Valley High School [*IP]

      sall:
      hi MXYmum, the last day of sch is on 28/10.

      Thanks, my daughter is really blur ... She keep insisting that holiday starts on 19th Nov.

      posted in Secondary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      M
      MXYMum
    • RE: River Valley High School [*IP]

      sall:
      For quite a few subjects, it seems like the teachers can't finish the syllabus due to PH, and other events. And this week, they have post-exam activities. So how are the trs going to complete everything before 28/10 or are they going to leave it to the next year and then chiong.

      Don't they have school till mid-Nov? My daughter's schedule shows that year end hols begins on 19 Nov?? I'm confused ...

      Anyone heard about a Yr 1 girl (with exemption) who went on the trip to M'sia got stranded in a locked bus alone because she fell asleep? I couldn't believe that things like this would happen in reality .... 🤷

      posted in Secondary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      M
      MXYMum
    • RE: River Valley High School [*IP]

      sall:
      Hi Mxymum, you have a pair of twins?

      The worst thing about project is arranging the time to meet-up for discussion. Some members in the group can be uncooperative, some refuse to do their part and it's really an agony working with them. 1 girl in dd's group refused to meet up on weekends and there is no available time slot on weekdays. Maybe this is good training for them to handle difficult colleagues next time.
      Hi Sal,

      Well, not twins but my boy is 1 year older and have special needs and I defer him 1 year before entering primary school. Thus, they were classmates while in primary school.

      I agree with you about having uncooperative members. Some kids do not want to spend time on projects not contributing to their GPA and refuses to do their part. It's quite unfair. The rest will have to cover up for them. It's quite frustrating ...

      posted in Secondary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      M
      MXYMum
    • RE: River Valley High School [*IP]

      sall:
      MXYMum:


      I always see my gal spending all her time on projects, not studying for exams. 1st it was Malay video, followed by CID, and now it's IT project. They spend so much time on these projects and yet their grades do not count towards their GPA. I really don't know what to say ....

      For the Malay video, I'm not sure if they learn anything much. They basically wrote the entire skit in English and translate to Malay using Google translator. They don't even know what they are talking about ...

      I think all IP schools are like that. Lots of project, but even though not included in GPA, the students still benefit in one way or another.
      I have the chance to check the time-table and workload of a Sec 3 student from a neighbourhood sch and the programme is very light. The students there are so relaxed, but they won't benefit so much.

      Dear Sal,
      My son is in Sec 1 in a neighbourhood school and he is managing much better than my daughter. In fact, he is helping his sister with her HW - Maths, IT and Science. He has quite a bit of HW at his school and their's are more of the 'traditional' kind - worksheets and some projects, pertaining to academic subjects. It just happen that my DD is poor in time management and have problems juggling her tasks and meeting deadlines, hence, her grades are suffering. I just hope that she will learn with time .... Thanks!

      posted in Secondary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      M
      MXYMum
    • RE: River Valley High School [*IP]

      yqyq:
      Hi..Just checking does RV accept Integrated dance as DSA?


      :thankyou:
      Yes, My DD told me that she has a classmate who came in via DSA in dance.

      posted in Secondary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      M
      MXYMum
    • RE: River Valley High School [*IP]

      daisyt:
      sall, that means eoy exams counting down too lor.

      I always see my gal spending all her time on projects, not studying for exams. 1st it was Malay video, followed by CID, and now it's IT project. They spend so much time on these projects and yet their grades do not count towards their GPA. I really don't know what to say ....

      For the Malay video, I'm not sure if they learn anything much. They basically wrote the entire skit in English and translate to Malay using Google translator. They don't even know what they are talking about ...

      posted in Secondary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      M
      MXYMum
    • RE: River Valley High School [*IP]

      Glad to hear that. I also hope that the rumours are untrue as my daughter is very keen on joining the school next year. It's her 1st choice if she does well enough for her PSLE.

      rosecy:
      who did you hear it from? personally i think he is a good principal.
      so far my child has been very happy with him. in fact he is quite caring. often chat with students before flag raising.
      MXYMum:

      It's regarding the new P ... Heard that teachers are leaving as they disagree with him. Did you hear anything from your kids? Is he very different from the previous P? Also heard that he's not the kind and caring type ...

      posted in Secondary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      M
      MXYMum
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 2 / 4
      About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy