Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login
    1. Home
    2. ning_akn
    3. Posts
    N
    Offline
    • Profile
    • Following 0
    • Followers 0
    • Topics 0
    • Posts 20
    • Groups 0

    Posts

    Recent Best Controversial
    • RE: Q&A - PSLE English

      Hi,


      I am baffled by the answer key too. Searching for an answer still. Will keep u posted if I can find a satisfactory answer. Nowadays, questions are so tough! Even paper 1 questions have traps. Lately, a friend of mine whose son has always top the level for writing, scored marginal marks for an essay qn set by hong Wen.

      posted in Primary 6 & PSLE
      N
      ning_akn
    • RE: Q&A - PSLE English

      Hi Elkniwt,


      May I know have your DD school teacher gives you an explanation on why the answer found in the answer is right?

      I was pondering over this question and could not figure out why the answer was written in this manner.

      Zack7 mentioned that Unless is always followed by present tense. I beg to differ. Under Conditional Clause Condition 3, we can write the sentence as :
      John could not leave the school early unless he had sought the principal’s approval.

      I have yet to find a supporting to use "cannot"…unless…"had sought"…

      Aks

      posted in Primary 6 & PSLE
      N
      ning_akn
    • RE: Help for good creative writing phrases/listening books ???

      Hi Syeda,


      For creative writing, I am using a combination of
      1)Zoom In Vocabulary for Creative Writing, and
      2) Phrases For Sensational writing.

      Both books are from Casco Publications and written by Agnes Ng and Jemmies Siew.

      The Zoom In book is highly recommended as it is included in the book list of some primary schools. School teacher recommended the class to buy too. Furthermore, my DD school teacher likes the style from Sensational writing. As such, I bought both books for DD.

      Hope this helps!

      posted in Primary Schools - Academic Support
      N
      ning_akn
    • RE: All About English Creative Writing

      Woah… that is really an old book!!! For me, I am using Zoom In Vocab for Creative Writing!

      posted in English
      N
      ning_akn
    • RE: All About English Creative Writing

      I double cfm with my friend who is an English tutor. She agreed with my reasoning too. But she did mention that in some countries, ‘are’ may be accepted. But in spore exam, there will only be 1 accepted answer and shld b is, unless the questions are worded differently.

      posted in English
      N
      ning_akn
    • RE: All About English Creative Writing

      Hi Optimistforum,


      The answer should be is. My understanding as follows:

      1) this is a subject verb agreement question
      2) any is the subject of this question
      3) any is an infinite pronoun which is singular, as such, answer shld b is.

      posted in English
      N
      ning_akn
    • RE: All About English Creative Writing

      Thanks wywy2!! Glad to hear that there's not much copying!! Woah your 9 yr old is good! P3 but in P4 class!!! Does that mean that they screen the students?


      I would appreciate if you can PM me paragraphs that your child wrote in TAS class. Hope it will not be too troublesome! TIA! 😉

      posted in English
      N
      ning_akn
    • RE: All About English Creative Writing

      Hi wywy2,


      Thanks for your feedback!! Yes, I understand that immediate effects are unrealistic… And I believe that creative writing needs practice to improve. May I know how old are your kids now? Maybe you can share with me what are the approaches that the teachers adopt? Copying or??

      posted in English
      N
      ning_akn
    • RE: All About English Creative Writing

      Hi All,


      I am a newbie here! I read thro part of the thread and seems like TAS is very well received. I would like to gather some feedback from parents who send their child to TAS. Did your child compo grades improved after going to TAS?

      posted in English
      N
      ning_akn
    • RE: Comparing Pre-school English Reading and Phonics Enrichment

      Hello!


      I am a newbie here but a super KS mum!!

      I would like to share my experience with GUG.

      Both my kids, aged 5 and 3, study at GUG currently. They started at 19 and 10 months respectively. Both kids master the 26 sounds from A-Z before they entered N1. At N1, they are exposed to blending and by end of N2, my DD masters the blending and are able to read simple books. GUG has a mini reader each week. The mini reader emphasize on sight words and phonetic words.

      My DD who is attending K1 is currently learning blending of digraphs. Now, whenever she sees new words, she will try to blend them and once she gets the sound of the word she knows the word.

      Personally, I am not phonics trained. But I can see the benefits of learning phonics. My DD can read almost effortlessly. She only has to make an effort to memorise the sight words. Spelling is also easier for her. She can spell words as long as they can hear the sound. So simple words like cat, dog, fan, hand, jump etc she can spell without memorising them.

      So far, I am very pleased with the Zoo phonics teaching at GUG. It is very structured and it delivers results.

      Being a KS mum, I have once send my DD to ICR (Goldhill) after hearing alot of positive feedback. My DD was put in TCS level after assessment. I observed the class being held and was totally disappointed. I feel that it’s a waste of my time and money as the phonics curriculum at GUG is so much richer.

      posted in English
      N
      ning_akn
    • 1 / 1
      About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy