Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login
    1. Home
    2. rains
    3. Posts
    R
    Offline
    • Profile
    • Following 0
    • Followers 0
    • Topics 7
    • Posts 1,258
    • Groups 0

    Posts

    Recent Best Controversial
    • RE: Networking Group - JCs General

      zbear:
      With all the discussions about IP JCs/MI, IP students vs JAE students make me wonder


      - how do the non IP JCs fare in their A level results?

      - Will JAE students be better off in non IP JCs?

      - Can JAE students perform equally well as IP students in IP JCs?

      :?
      Incidentally, I was talking to an ex-IPJC lecturer/tutor and I asked her the question:

      Who are usually the ones at the bottom of the cohort at A levels in terms of results ie. the IP or JAE students?

      Surprisingly, she said it's the IP students. Her reason: IP students go in via PSLE results and along the way, for some reason, they may not be suitable for the school, especially at JC level, be it culture, curriculum or other things I have no idea about.

      The JAE students enter the IPJC using their O levels results which require them to get 2 or 3 points for entry. They are the cream of the crop, so naturally, they tend to do well at A levels as well.

      She also mentioned that at the beginning stage of JC1, JAE students tend to do better as they are more exam-smart, but after the transition period, there is no difference in the performance between the IP and JAE students generally.

      I am no expert in the topic. Just happened to chance upon this post and thought I could share what was shared with me.

      posted in Tertiary Education - A-Levels
      R
      rains
    • RE: Travel: China - Hong Kong

      Thank you for taking the time to share, MyBaby.


      Eating at fastfood joints and Starbucks during CNY seems a little sad but the other activities seem interesting. Will take time to deliberate over this. Thanks again!

      posted in Holiday Ideas
      R
      rains
    • RE: Travel: China - Hong Kong

      Hi,


      I am toying with the idea of flying to Hong Kong for this year’s CNY. However, as Hong Kongers are also Chinese, I am worried that the shops would be closed and we would be as bored as we would have been if we had stayed in Singapore.

      Has anyone been to Hong Kong during CNY and could advise on the feasibility of this idea?

      posted in Holiday Ideas
      R
      rains
    • RE: NDP 2016

      Hi Chief,


      Hope this is not too late. My sister passed me a red NDP bag so I can give my slot up together with the board game. Thanks for reserving and I apologise for the late inform. Haven’t been logging in due to Pokemon Go.

      posted in Recess Time
      R
      rains
    • RE: WMF Cookware

      slmkhoo:

      One idea which I have suggested, but no-one has taken seriously, is a \"kid swap\" where we swap our married kids with someone else's married kids. They can pay a low rent. That way they can get married earlier, live apart from in-laws, but still save for their future home.
      But do you not foresee that your relationship or friendship with the person you have swapped your kid with would be strained? Nobody's perfect and I am sure the person who got your kid would be unhappy about certain things your kid does. Whether the person complains to you in the face, it still won't be a pretty scenario, I believe. Perhaps that's why few think it's a feasible idea?

      posted in Tuckshop
      R
      rains
    • RE: Expensive home, elite school?

      limlim:


      My statistics are drawn from HDB website. enough said.

      My point is simple. There are affordable flats near good schools. The facts speaks for itself.
      The fact is I got my kids into a school of my choice, whether the houses around it are affordable or not, and the rest doesn't matter. Who cares if your RSS has affordable flats or not? If you like RSS so much, you can have it.

      posted in Recess Time
      R
      rains
    • RE: What is L1R5?

      Interesting thread that reflects the different computations from different eras!


      My experience was similar to jetsetter’s ie. L1R5 or L1R4 with English, Chinese and Math being the compulsory subjects and the rest could be anything. Science was an optional add-on depending on the course you chose, but I vaguely remembered Science was compulsory for poly entry.

      posted in Secondary Schools - Academic Support
      R
      rains
    • RE: Games at NUS orientation camps sexualised

      Veggie Bao:


      Seriously I think many guys, and maybe even some girls, do not know the extent of this discomfort. They just don't realize it. I myself do not know that some girls are traumatized, until I read some blogs about their personal experiences. Now I think back about my experiences, maybe some of my female peers were traumatized despite not saying anything.
      I feel very sad again when I read this.

      The same-age boys I met (as friends) when I was 14 to 19 were very gentlemanly. They knew girls are to be respected. They knew it was inappropriate to use vulgarities or crack crude jokes in the presence of girls. They quickly apologised if they saw as much as a frown on a girl's face to show they were sorry for even mentioning an inappropriate word in a joke. And many of them had not entered university yet then.

      But you are saying that today's undergraduates do not know where to draw the line in the presence of girls. They don't know how to treat girls like girls. They don't know that being liberal is not the same as being vulgar or promiscuous. They don't know that using vulgarities in front of girls is wrong. I really wonder where their brains are. These are basic human decencies, yet it seems they have to be explicitly taught about them. I don't remember our 'old' education system teaching these either. And they dare say we are backward. They themselves are going back to the caveman period when women are meant for only one purpose.

      Thanks for your sharing, Veggie Bao. I do appreciate the insight about our undergraduates today that you offer but I truly feel sorry for these boys who have not learnt to respect girls and women. We have a long way to go.

      posted in Recess Time
      R
      rains
    • RE: Games at NUS orientation camps sexualised

      floppy:
      rains:

      A male friend told me the first thing a guy would do when he first lay his hand on a computer and Internet would be to surf the adult clips for the first six months. But to me, what you surf in private should be kept behind closed doors. No need to make it public or 'teach' it to those who are foreign to such language.


      This is probably true circa 1990s.
      These days they use smart phones and tablets 😉
      And it's so in your face these days that people don't bother searching anymore.

      Not justifying their actions but the language isn't that foreign to them.

      I think most girls are not so obsessed with porn and are not that familiar with those specialised Japanese phrases, smart phones, iPads and tablets or not, which was why the ones who were uncomfortable and tried to leave were the girls.

      posted in Recess Time
      R
      rains
    • RE: Games at NUS orientation camps sexualised

      A male friend told me the first thing a guy would do when he first lay his hand on a computer and Internet would be to surf the adult clips for the first six months. But to me, what you surf in private should be kept behind closed doors. No need to make it public or ‘teach’ it to those who are foreign to such language.

      posted in Recess Time
      R
      rains
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 125
    • 126
    • 3 / 126
      About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy