Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login
    1. Home
    2. Rational_Parent
    3. Posts
    R
    Offline
    • Profile
    • Following 0
    • Followers 0
    • Topics 3
    • Posts 164
    • Groups 0

    Posts

    Recent Best Controversial
    • RE: 2012 PSLE Discussions and Strategy

      concerned_of_PSLE 10:
      😢

      Thanks everybody for comforting me. It is just tat i feel tat something is constantly bugging me....
      Tat feeling is really terrible.....thinking of all the wrong answers i gave,i feel i am really dumb
      😢
      Learn to let go and get back on your feet when the chips are down or appears so. Think about it this way - will your parents be sad to see you this way? I can assure you most, if not all, parents would prefer to see their children happy and strong then be overly concerned with their academic achievement.

      Never read too much into your PSLE performance when the result is still not out. And when it does, tell yourself you're definitely not among the worse with your head held high.

      So pick yourself up, bite the bullet and say to yourself that you'll make amends, and move on. Enjoy life for there are much more to life than pursuing grades.

      posted in Primary 6 & PSLE
      R
      Rational_Parent
    • RE: 2012 PSLE Discussions and Strategy

      @a child, you are indeed a special child although you would like to think otherwise. You are not in RGS by accident. We all know obtaining good grades does not define a person; they are just icing on the cake.


      I somehow believe your contributing to forums and performing community services give you an outlet to speak your mind and give you an extra sense of purpose.

      Sometimes I rest my head high up on my pillow in the night and wonder why you chose the nickname 'a child' is this forum, and I am still wondering.

      Thank you once again for sharing your journey with us. We are truly appreciative of your continual participation in this forum. šŸ†’

      posted in Primary 6 & PSLE
      R
      Rational_Parent
    • RE: 2012 PSLE Discussions and Strategy

      This is an exceptionally brilliant post, and a timely one. :goodpost: This forum needs more people like you. I absolutely buy-in to all the comments you had made, particularly the one below.

      a child:
      Firstly, independence. I realize that many parents choose to continue to send their children for tuition, and I have heard horrors of pupils with 11 different tuition teachers. I am vehemently against this, because really it is not needed, and it destroys a lot of your schooling experience. Here, there will be a drastic increase in workload, and it is impossible to have so many tuition classes without your extracurriculars giving. It is impossible unless your live revolves around work and more work, in which case I would think it is rather synonymous with not living at all. This is because secondary school is different. A 4.0 GP is 80 at my school, 75 at others. We do not train perfection; but rather this tests your ability to grasp big concepts. To learn fast. To listen in class, and learn independently. If you have to learn things twice, once in school and once at tuition, that is a lot of time spent!

      posted in Primary 6 & PSLE
      R
      Rational_Parent
    • RE: Psle aggregate

      AnnyTan:

      In any case, 294 is a respectable score, and we should give credit where it is due. Natasha definitely deserves the recognition for her outstanding performance.
      Not just a respectable score but also a phenomenal one which probably will never be repeated, given that the format of PSLE examination (e.g. oral carries more weight than before) has since changed.

      No shadow of a doubt, Natasha certainly deserves all the acclamation for her achievement.

      posted in Secondary Schools - Selection
      R
      Rational_Parent
    • RE: Psle aggregate

      @AnnyTan, excellent T-score illustration! :goodpost:


      This makes one wonder how Natasha manage to achieve a T-Score of 294. Absolutely mind-bobbling!

      posted in Secondary Schools - Selection
      R
      Rational_Parent
    • RE: 2012 PSLE Discussions and Strategy

      concerned_of_PSLE 10:
      I am going to score real badly for PSLE cause all the ans i check is wrong.i will not get even a 2 A* and 2 A.i feel really bad like i let down my parents.....

      Do not despair. Most parents will not feel let down, especially when you've given your best effort. Its usually the effort that matter most.

      Not sure how you managed to check your answers but always take it with a pinch of salt if you are not checking them with your teachers.

      Chin up please, the result is not out and it may not turn out the way you feel right now.

      posted in Primary 6 & PSLE
      R
      Rational_Parent
    • RE: Vitamindz Science - Discussion

      From what I heard, this is a reputed tuition centre that specializes in Science. It used to or its teachers used to set PSLE Science exams questions. My sister-in-law believes that this centre can help to turn your DC score from A to A* for Science. The top PSLE girl of last year had her tuition in this centre.


      As I understand it, it is rather hard to get a place because the centre will simply move its students who joined, say, during P4 automatically up for P5 and P6 tuition classes.

      For my sister-in-law, her DS achieved A* for Science, while her DD achieved A.

      This is all I know.

      posted in Science
      R
      Rational_Parent
    • RE: PSLE 2012 - Science

      IMHO, @verykiasumummy and @atutor2001 answers to the frog/tadpole question would readily be acceptable. I did not read all threads so there might be more worthy ones.


      This is a booklet B question, and I believe most questions in booklet B require students to demonstrate their knowledge of Science, it's application, as well as reasoning skill. And for this reason, PLSE markers will be asked to mark \"holistically\", a terminology used widely in the answer key found in RGPS exams marking scheme. Probably RGPS uses the same format (answer key) as MOE or vice versa. I also believe, like in most schools, each paper is marked then verified by another before the final score is set in stone.

      How do one tackle such a question? First, we know its biology we are dealing with and one of the first things that should come to mind is that a tadpole is the young of a frog and a frog is an amphibian, both of which are living things that need a conducive habitat to survive in. Next, we ask ourselves a series of questions e.g. Do they live on their own? Does one need to know about life cycle of a frog? Where is the food source of a frog and tadpole? Also, do we need to consider the stages that a tadpole has to go through before being an adult? Articulating the answer would be the challenge but I believe keeping within these premise should be safe and it is best to keep the answer within a natural setting (i.e. avoid throwing disasters, like fire, drought, etc into the mix).

      I am inclined to answer this way .....

      A frog is an amphibian which lay eggs on water, leaving their young, the tadpole, to survive on their own in its life cycle. Frogs feed mainly on insects and other small creatures that can be found mostly on land whereas tadpoles feed primarily on plants, mainly aquatic plants which can be found mostly in water. Frogs are more agile on land than on water, and this helps them avoid predators and find food better, thus ensuring their survival. On the other hand, tadpoles, which do not resemble their adults particularly in their initial stage of development, has no or ineffective limbs. Therefore, tadpoles are inherently adaptable to water than on land, allowing them to move better to find food and avoid predators. These are the advantages for frog to live on land and for tadpoles to develop into adulthood in water.

      How much to write? I will use the space provided in the booklet as a guide. Now, I truly do not know what the right answer is, or will my proposed answer be acceptable. It might just managed to elicit a sly smile from the marker but no marks! But so long as a student keep it within a logical framework and mentioned key things like \"survival\" and \"Food source\" and relate these to land and water and demonstrate what habitat means, I believe he/she should be safe.

      For those die die must know 'the right answer' then I suggest he/she tap on VitaMindZ. I heard the folks there used to set PSLE Science questions and the top PSLE girl last year had her tuition in that centre. But for me, I believe a student should practice using his/her own intuition, learn to perform own research, interact with fellow students and consult teachers/parents as much as they can for the real challenge is after P6.

      posted in Primary 6 & PSLE
      R
      Rational_Parent
    • RE: PSLE 2012 - Science

      Nebbermind:
      Adding on to MeKiasuLeh's reply,

      MeKiasuLeh:


      Picture (c) - object moving down a ramp or slope
      As stated, the object is in motion. This means that kinetic friction is at play because the frictional force is acting against the object zooming down the ramp/slope. Both the weight of the object and gravity contributed to the normal force. Therefore, there is force opposing force.

      This setup is not in equilibirum. Therefore, if you draw a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_body_diagram, u will have one force acting normally on the object by the slope, another (gravitational) force pointing vertically down from centre of the object, and another one parallel to the slope, pointing from the object to the end of the slope. As there is no info on whether the slope is frictionless or not, we may or may not have a (frictional) force component acting upwards along the slope due to the object accelerating down the slope.

      So no way to tell if there is frictional force or not, unless we assume that any surfaces in contact should have some and frictionless contact does not exist.

      Trust me, this would be my last contribution to the MCQ question on friction. I will move on to provide my take on the next contentious question regarding frog/tadpole.

      Go to this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frictionless_plane to understand more about frictionless plane (surface), a concept from Galileo for predicting the motion of an object moving down an inclined plane. I understand this is beyond PSLE, and I have tried extremely hard not to cloud the discussion with topics way beyond P6 Science; no jargons and no formulas. But I thought it useful that I present this URL so that interested people will find this statement:

      \"There are no frictionless planes anywhere to be found; therefore (typo error found!), by definition, cannot be\".

      One can interpret however one wants to see it (this definition, this question, etc), but I will close my case.

      posted in Primary 6 & PSLE
      R
      Rational_Parent
    • RE: At what age should you start to prepare for PSLE

      I am not too sure but I guess it depends on your DC.


      For my DS, its always 1 week before any exams, PSLE included, will he start his \"motor\" doing assessments and other schools' past year papers as prep for the exams. And yet he is on the computer for hours everyday!

      Fortunately for us his KSPs, he is an above-average pupil since P1 who results and humble awards in P4, P5 and P6 got him a DSA CO to DHS. So we were lucky.

      My take is that students are being pushed too hard in school in P6 these days that I felt should be sufficient. But many parents I know said the best time to start is immediately after P5 final year where, depending on DC result, ascertain how much effort is needed for your DC to perform at his highest level during prelim as well as PSLE. At the end of the day, it is how KS you are and how your DC is performing each year that will determine when best to start. šŸ˜„

      posted in Primary 6 & PSLE
      R
      Rational_Parent
    • 1
    • 2
    • 13
    • 14
    • 15
    • 16
    • 17
    • 16 / 17
      About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy