I need some advice about RAs. How far (to what extent) does taking Science RAs help in the same subjects in JC 1 & 2? Any one knows how much of the A level syllabus is actually covered in Sec 3/4 RA? Would someone not taking up any Science RA at upper sec be at a great disadvantage in JC or is it easy to catch up? Afterall, I believe that many still manage to score As in the end. Any stats to share?
Thanks!
Posts
-
RE: Raffles Institution (Year 1-4)
-
RE: O-Level Additional Math
rylee:
:thankyou: Greatly appreciated!
Hi red rose,red rose:
Need help to solve this.
x - 2/x + 3 = 2x^2 + x - 10/x^2 + 6x + 9
I only managed to get x = -2, but the answer key says the answer should be x = 2 or x = -2. Please advise.
Thank you in advance.
The answer is x=+2 or -2
Working as follow:-
(x-2)/(x+3)=(2x^2+x-10)/(x+3)^2
(x-2)(x+3)=2x^2+x-10
X^2-2x+3x-6=2x^2+x-10
X^2+x-6=2x^2+x-10
x^2-6 =2x^2-10
x^2=4
x=+2 or -2
Regards. -
RE: O-Level Additional Math
jtoh:
Hmm... are we approaching the question wrongly from our archaic math training? Could your dd get the answer? I'll ask my dd to try it later. Is this the school's worksheet?[/quote]My dd got -2, which was why she approached me to see if I had another approach.red rose:
[quote=\"jtoh\"]Hi red rose, I only managed to get x = -2 too. Could the answer sheet be wrong? Is this question from a workbook?
Nope. It's from a Sec 2 IP school revision worksheet. Thanks for trying anyway. The curious thing is, +2 works too when substituted into the equation.

-
RE: O-Level Additional Math
jtoh:
Hi red rose, I only managed to get x = -2 too. Could the answer sheet be wrong? Is this question from a workbook?
Nope. It's from a Sec 2 IP school revision worksheet. Thanks for trying anyway. The curious thing is, +2 works too when substituted into the equation.
-
RE: O-Level Additional Math
jtoh:
Thanks red rose. So the right hand side is (2x^2 + x - 10)/(x^2 + 6x + 9)?
Yes! :thankyou: -
RE: O-Level Additional Math
jtoh:
Hi! It's with brackets. Eg. (x-2) divided by (x+3)Hi red rose,
I'm a little confused with the presentation of the question - limitations of typing out the question.
Could you please clarify if it's :
x - 2/x + 3 or (x-2)/(x+3)
Similarly for the right hand side? Thanks.
Thanks!
-
RE: O-Level Additional Math
Need help to solve this.
x - 2/x + 3 = 2x^2 + x - 10/x^2 + 6x + 9
I only managed to get x = -2, but the answer key says the answer should be x = 2 or x = -2. Please advise.
Thank you in advance. -
RE: O-Level Additional Math
Would appreciate help with the following Qs:
1) Arrange the following numbers in ascending order: 2^3333, 3^2222, 6^1111, 9^555
2) Which is bigger, 3^3^3^3 or 4^4^4
3) Solve (x^2-5x+5)^x+2000 = 1
Thanks in advance!
-
RE: Raffles Institution (Year 1-4)
Hi!
Just wondering if anyone can enlighten me about the Raffles Diploma for Years 5 & 6. I understand that pupils are classified into 3 groups: top 5-10%(advanced), bottom 5-10% and the rest (mainstream). I would like to know how pupils are grouped - is it according to Sec 4 year-end GPAs only (for RI and RGS), or both Sec 3 & 4 GPAs?
If they are indeed grouped as such, does anyone know roughly what GPA (I know it varies from year to year) it takes to get into the advanced classes (top 5-10%)? Any statistics to share?
One last question: How important are Sec 3 & 4 GPAs for IP students? Are they required for University applications?
Thanks in advance.